Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

28 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

I wonder how many kits of tools thought to be scrapped or incomplete were brought back by R2?

I can think of five or six right offhand, but it might be fun to compile a list. 

Meyers Manx

TeeVee Dune Buggy

Superbug

Surf Woody

Piranha (street)

The Surf Woody was brought back by RC2 earlier, but Round 2 did it right.  They also brought back the MPC Cosmic Charger dragster (though based on another kit, it has a lot of unique parts) and the 1/32 scale car kits that last appeared in '67 or '68.

The Edsel kits were AMT.  SMP did the Chevrolet and Chrysler products (Imperial, Valiant).  SMP was a separate company but with some backing from AMT.  AMT acquired it in mid-1961.  A handful of '62 Imperial convertible kits got out in boxes with the SMP logo on them, as did about half of the '62 Styline Valiant kits.  '62 Impala kits have the SMP logo on the custom license plate on the plated tree.

12 hours ago, Bucky said:

Mine is in a box like this one:

AMT%2022260-139%2060Edselvg++.JPG

It's kind of a generic box, with only a sticker on the end flap saying that a 1960 Edsel is inside! LOL

In that era that is how all of their models were boxed. They just added the end of box seal to indicate what kit was inside. Big heavy splined axles and screws to hold the bottom in place. The bodies were pretty accurate.   

On 2/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Reissues have been part of the game since day two, I wonder how many kits of tools thought to be scrapped or incomplete were brought back by R2?

This, because it was always said the cab molds were destroyed in the 80s to be modified into the T600A truck kit.

AMT1021-2.jpg.b3d0a6669291a7d89d32345c5476161d.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone else think the same thing. Lately all of the old tool Round2 kits have a beautiful vintage box with a box full of junk inside. I am not a box collector and wish they would clean up the tool before they re-pop them. I love the box are on the 63 Chevy so I bought one and it is a total mess. I don't mind the simple kit but they could have spent a little money and at least made the body usable. I hope it is just me but I really don't think so. I will say that their new tool kits are great and highly recommend them.

1 minute ago, mredjr said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the same thing. Lately all of the old tool Round2 kits have a beautiful vintage box with a box full of junk inside. I am not a box collector and wish they would clean up the tool before they re-pop them. I love the box are on the 63 Chevy so I bought one and it is a total mess. I don't mind the simple kit but they could have spent a little money and at least made the body usable. I hope it is just me but I really don't think so. I will say that their new tool kits are great and highly recommend them.

That body has been rough ever since they opened the hood on it.

The hood fit particularly is less than stellar.

Certainly not one of their better examples.  Thankfully most of their other reissues are far better.

That said, I'd like to pick one up and kit bash it with their 64. 

18 minutes ago, mredjr said:

Dave if you do get the Prestige kit or the Model King in the white box they are the same kit but don't have all the sink problems. They are not perfect but far better than the last issue.

I have a Prestige '63 Chevy and the body is warped. It's not too bad and I think it might straighten out when the interior and chassis are installed, but at the time I was pretty irked, considering what these kits cost. 

On 2/14/2020 at 9:06 PM, Stef said:

Back in 2001, I threw away over 200 built models and gave away my stash; thought I'd never return to the hobby.

Image result for sanford and sons heart attack meme

On 2/15/2020 at 9:32 AM, Snake45 said:

I can think of five or six right offhand, but it might be fun to compile a list. 

Meyers Manx

TeeVee Dune Buggy

Superbug

Surf Woody

Piranha (street)

One that pops to mind was the AMT Double T kit. Before the R2 issue, the last release was in 1961 and the molds were MIA according to AMT. This is particularly personal is because I'd just spent quite a bit for an incomplete kit to build one for a family member, and then a year later .......... ?

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

One that pops to mind was the AMT Double T kit. Before the R2 issue, the last release was in 1961 and the molds were MIA according to AMT. This is particularly personal is because I'd just spent quite a bit for an incomplete kit to build one for a family member, and then a year later .......... ?

If you are speaking of this 2010 reissue of the Double T Rob

549847849_AMTDoubleT.jpg.169c5c7228e5ff451b70b1cb832e3976.jpg

there was a reissue prior to it in 2001. 

911804913_AMT1925FordRoadster.jpg.dc1d8aea2fb2aeef43d47001b38db9ce.jpg

The only difference and possibly the missing mold you were referring to is the 2001 issue does not have the chopped T body in it, but I have both kits and have compared them and with the exception of the chopped body, they are the same. 

2 hours ago, highway said:

If you are speaking of this 2010 reissue of the Double T Rob

549847849_AMTDoubleT.jpg.169c5c7228e5ff451b70b1cb832e3976.jpg

there was a reissue prior to it in 2001. 

911804913_AMT1925FordRoadster.jpg.dc1d8aea2fb2aeef43d47001b38db9ce.jpg

The only difference and possibly the missing mold you were referring to is the 2001 issue does not have the chopped T body in it, but I have both kits and have compared them and with the exception of the chopped body, they are the same. 

That's just it...it hadn't been a double kit since the late Sixties.  The stock height coupe was issued in the mid-Seventies, the roadster a few times, but none had all of the parts for two cars.

22 hours ago, Mark said:

That's just it...it hadn't been a double kit since the late Sixties.  The stock height coupe was issued in the mid-Seventies, the roadster a few times, but none had all of the parts for two cars.

Yes it did have parts for two cars in it, because as I said in my previous post the ONLY difference between the 25 Roadster kit issued 2001 and the Double T kit issued in 2010 was the 2001 issue did not have the chopped T body. Other than that I have both kits and I have compared them and parts are there to build TWO COMPLETE CARS IN BOTH KITS!

2 hours ago, highway said:

Yes it did have parts for two cars in it, because as I said in my previous post the ONLY difference between the 25 Roadster kit issued 2001 and the Double T kit issued in 2010 was the 2001 issue did not have the chopped T body. Other than that I have both kits and I have compared them and parts are there to build TWO COMPLETE CARS IN BOTH KITS!

How do you get two cars with one body?  

36 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

According to the instruction sheet for AMT 626, there are roadster and chopped coupe bodies along with two separate frames.

The one issued in the '60's and 2010 did have two bodies and you could build two complete models with them.

The one issued in '01 only had one body. No coupe body. It could be built two different ways. But, you couldn't build two complete models from it.

Edited by Plowboy

On 2/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

The version without the coupe body has been reissued a few times.

AMT%206512%2025ModTvg.JPG

Whenever I look at that box art build, all I can see is a train wreck. Stock firewall, body sitting too high on the frame goofy spotlights, black carburetors... It was a low period for AMT box art. The 56 Ford and the 59 (really a 60) Corvette with its upsidedown headlights were just as bad.