Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

9 minutes ago, larman said:

I was just looking and unless I missed something, there isn't that much difference between the standard F85 convertible and the 442 for '64. Looks to be mechanical stuff you would not see in a model, like  beefier motor and chassis upgrades. The only real difference is  the 442 emblems/badging that are added. These could be replicated if someone does a photo etch set. 

As far as I can tell the only noticeable differences on the exterior were the dual exhaust and tiny badges on the front fenders.   Don't know if there were any interior differences.   I've read that the 442 package was even available on the 4dr sedan in '64, seem to recall seeing one in Muscle Car Review magazine decades ago...

8 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

There will be the inevitable posts from clueless people on Facebook that buy the kit thinking it's a new tool and then whine about the molded-in-one-piece chassis and wire axles....people need to learn the history and inform themselves....

At least Round-2 puts the parts layout on the box bottom, but the moniker "classic kit" with a bit of history printed on the box would be a plus JMHO 

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

As far as I can tell the only noticeable differences on the exterior were the dual exhaust and tiny badges on the front fenders.   Don't know if there were any interior differences.   I've read that the 442 package was even available on the 4dr sedan in '64, seem to recall seeing one in Muscle Car Review magazine decades ago...

Can be offered as decals then, the badges I mean.

Thanks for sharing this Tim Boyd and all. I have a 1964 Olds hardtop that I got a few years back. 

Not to stur up anything, but could this be the muscle car that Round 2 mentioned that they were working on in their video?

Hopefully we will see this sometime soon.

Just now, Luc Janssens said:

Can be offered as decals then, the badges I mean.

Yeah, I checked this out a couple of years ago and I think the 442 badges can be lifted from the decal sheets of either the AMT-Ertl 1966 442's or the 1967 Lindberg 442.   Whichever kit it was (or maybe it was both) the badge decals looked exactly right.  My thought at the time was that a '64 1/2 442 would be one of the easiest and painless kitbashes of all time.....TIM 

4 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

At least Round-2 puts the parts layout on the box bottom, but the moniker "classic kit" with a bit of history printed on the box would be a plus JMHO 

People don't even look at the parts layout on the box.  I saw a post on a FB group last week about a guy that bought the recent AMT '63 Impala reissue and thought it would be all-new and was disappointed. 

Just now, carnut said:

Not to stir up anything, but could this be the muscle car that Round 2 mentioned that they were working on in their video?

Mike, I didn't have the patience to sit through the entire Round 2 webcast (if that is what you are referring to) due to the amount of time spent on non-auto projects, so I don't know what was said there, and I certainly don't know all that the Round 2 team have up their sleeve right now.   But a reasoned guess would be "yes".   As always, time will tell!   TB 

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

People don't even look at the parts layout on the box.  I saw a post on a FB group last week about a guy that bought the recent AMT '63 Impala reissue and thought it would be all-new and was disappointed. 

Even if he knew, it's still not the best kit, and too bad Revell didn't base theirs on their excellent '64;

2 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Mike, I didn't have the patience to sit through the entire Round 2 webcast (if that is what you are referring to) due to the amount of time spent on non-auto projects, so I don't know what was said there, and I certainly don't know all that the Round 2 team have up their sleeve right now.   But a reasoned guess would be "yes".   As always, time will tell!   TB 

By reading here how easy it is to turn it into a 442 I think it is, and the wagon they also talked about I assume is a '67 Chevy Impala.

16 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

19 minutes ago, carnut said:

Not to stir up anything, but could this be the muscle car that Round 2 mentioned that they were working on in their video?

Tim,

Thanks for responding. I didn’t watch the whole video either, I just watched the automotive part - like most of us, ha ha.

frim what I saw and heard, the comment of we’re working on a muscle car too (or words to that effect) sounded more like a passing comment.

You are correct, time will tell, what a great time to be a builder, cool ? 

Remember. In 1964, part of the 442 package was a 4 speed manual transmission. The 64 Olds Cutlass tool has a automatic transmission console. I have a hardtop and a convertible that needs a windshield header. I had planned to combine a 64 body with the superior 66 chassis and drivetrain for a future project.

39 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

By reading here how easy it is to turn it into a 442 I think it is, and the wagon they also talked about I assume is a '67 Chevy Impala.

Uh-oh....if they specifically said "muscle car" in the video and meant that in its true definition, the new Cutlass kit wouldn't be the future kit that they were referring to.  I was answering in a more generic way. 

Stated another way, I know of no additional effort by Round 2 to do a 442 version of the new Cutlass kit.  Not so say such a project might not be underway, only to say I am not aware of such an effort.

And FWIW, I don't know anything about an Impala wagon conversion.   Again, not so say it's not possible, only that I don't know of it. 

TB 

"

Edited by tim boyd

41 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

There will be the inevitable posts from clueless people on Facebook that buy the kit thinking it's a new tool and then whine about the molded-in-one-piece chassis and wire axles....people need to learn the history and inform themselves....

That's the problem Rob, most people don't or won't or would just rather argue about it than inform themselves of kit histories and thinking it will be an all new kit just because a new body is being retooled. The same goes for a few old ex Monogram tools that were nicely done 1/25th scale snap kits that have been reissued without any mention to the snap on the box and I've seen people swear they are not snap kits but glue kits, even after presented with evidence that the kit started life as a snap kit just to say something like those aren't the same kit. I don't know if some I've seen are acting clueless to have fun behind a keyboard or are really that clueless, but no matter the case the clueless of the hobby will never understand and never take the time to learn that there are histories to these kits they like to call "toys".  

19 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Remember. In 1964, part of the 442 package was a 4 speed manual transmission. The 64 Olds Cutlass tool has a automatic transmission console. I have a hardtop and a convertible that needs a windshield header. I had planned to combine a 64 body with the superior 66 chassis and drivetrain for a future project.

Yes Ron, back in the day the true definition of the 442 package was 4 barrel carb, 4 speed trans, and dual exhaust, correct? That was at least what I had always heard was what it stood for. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for several years just in case a presentable '64 Cutlass convertible or hard top presented itself, and now I'm glad that I didn't drop the &250.00 or more that these kits can command.

I think I paid around $65 for this one almost complete and never built (it's missing the superchargers) about 10 years ago. I don't have the heart to build it, but I did later get a very nice resin repro that WILL get built. Maybe soon! B)

64Cutlass01.jpg.9f0e4209931860e4ed02b11b9e81c461.jpg

7 minutes ago, highway said:

...old ex Monogram tools that were nicely done 1/25th scale snap kits that have been reissued without any mention to the snap on the box and I've seen people swear they are not snap kits but glue kits...

I'm trying without success to think of what kits you're talking about here. Can you enlighten me/us? :unsure:

26 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Uh-oh....if they specifically said "muscle car" in the video and meant that in its true definition, the new Cutlass kit wouldn't be the future kit that they were referring to.  I was answering in a more generic way. 

Stated another way, I know of no additional effort by Round 2 to do a 442 version of the new Cutlass kit.  Not so say such a project might not be underway, only to say I am not aware of such an effort.

And FWIW, I don't know anything about an Impala wagon conversion.   Again, not so say it's not possible, only that I don't know of it. 

TB 

"

This is the post I'm referring to Tim...

About the wagon comment, they tooled a lot of the stuff they needed for a wagon, when designing the 4dr. hardtop, only needing the following additional parts

- body

- side panel extentions for the trunk area or all new side panels

- rear seat and backing

- trunk floor

- clear (windshield, rr side glass and backlite)

- rr bumper taillite trim assy

- wheels with hubcaps or covers (which they can re-use for a non sci-fy 4dr. h/t)

An all new kit or a variant from another tool would cost much much more, and their track record shows that money for automotive projects always seems tight, vs Sci-Fi/fantasy

All aforementioned is not set in stone, but that's what I personally think based on monitoring sites like these and my wacky creative brain ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

I need to dig out my '64 Cutlasses, they are still in storage.  The hardtop I have is painted a maroon all over..the front fenders had been broken off and re-attached...I need to restore it.  My convertible was brush painted Testors light blue, was in decent shape.    

I'm looking forward to the reissue, though, probably get 3-4, one to build stock, one to make a ht by using the roof from the '65 GTO (have several of those roofs around), one to build as a street machine w/ the engine and hood options, and one for parts for the MCW '65 ht. 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

I'm trying without success to think of what kits you're talking about here. Can you enlighten me/us? :unsure:

Sure. A couple of truck kits, and those are the ones that seem to be the ones most don't believe the snap tite roots, and a couple of car kits

_Monogram-1505-Kenworth-W900-Aerodyne-1-25-1991parts.jpg.6f2fbea70c7752e69b922c5f4d451e71.jpg

918mAA-mj1L._SL1500_.jpg.481593456690552bd80606490c2f17e6.jpg

472233210_MonogramPeteerbilt359SNAP.jpg.f6a2670e3780e5f7bb23c6bb5ddeb2b0.jpg67556128_RevellPeterbilt359SNAP.png.33904f8fe2957cdc9774947ed40069cd.png

Even though these are both Revell, it was around the merger time but still fits the ex snap that has no mention of being snap kits anymore. 

revell-1994-chevy-impala-ss.jpg.0722582e212f448d06e08e2528ea35b9.jpgrevell-1994-chevy-impala-ss-snaptite-27.jpg.20fc44dea2a087a294a58d52c6893746.jpg

Another Revell only, but years before the merger. 

Rev7220web.jpg.776d407eaab688c187a340e264345057.jpgrevell-captain-hook-1977-gmc-wrecker-tow-truck-snap-together-1.jpg.c6732cd535a659d8141639b70d944bd5.jpg

And finally for now one that was 1/24th, but is still an ex Monogram Snap Tite that I had as a wee lad and I have the reissue kit now and plan on painting it as the Simon and Simon car. 

221842372_!B-ldclQ!2k(KGrHqUOKisEz(CCWkrDBM9EW81Qm!_3.jpg.3f454c3b1ece90dc88de6446f1b61000.jpgrevell-1985-camaro-z28.jpg.c27e6bce0c818fdcc58a9280c102115f.jpg

31 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I think I paid around $65 for this one almost complete and never built (it's missing the superchargers) about 10 years ago. I don't have the heart to build it, but I did later get a very nice resin repro that WILL get built. Maybe soon! B)

They're getting hard to find in any condition today.

No point in not building it now Snake.

Pretty soon we will be up to our arm pits in '64 Cutlass's. :P

Steve

41 minutes ago, highway said:

Sure. A couple of truck kits, and those are the ones that seem to be the ones most don't believe the snap tite roots, and a couple of car kits

_Monogram-1505-Kenworth-W900-Aerodyne-1-25-1991parts.jpg.6f2fbea70c7752e69b922c5f4d451e71.jpg

918mAA-mj1L._SL1500_.jpg.481593456690552bd80606490c2f17e6.jpg

472233210_MonogramPeteerbilt359SNAP.jpg.f6a2670e3780e5f7bb23c6bb5ddeb2b0.jpg67556128_RevellPeterbilt359SNAP.png.33904f8fe2957cdc9774947ed40069cd.png

Even though these are both Revell, it was around the merger time but still fits the ex snap that has no mention of being snap kits anymore. 

revell-1994-chevy-impala-ss.jpg.0722582e212f448d06e08e2528ea35b9.jpgrevell-1994-chevy-impala-ss-snaptite-27.jpg.20fc44dea2a087a294a58d52c6893746.jpg

Another Revell only, but years before the merger. 

Rev7220web.jpg.776d407eaab688c187a340e264345057.jpgrevell-captain-hook-1977-gmc-wrecker-tow-truck-snap-together-1.jpg.c6732cd535a659d8141639b70d944bd5.jpg

And finally for now one that was 1/24th, but is still an ex Monogram Snap Tite that I had as a wee lad and I have the reissue kit now and plan on painting it as the Simon and Simon car. 

221842372_!B-ldclQ!2k(KGrHqUOKisEz(CCWkrDBM9EW81Qm!_3.jpg.3f454c3b1ece90dc88de6446f1b61000.jpgrevell-1985-camaro-z28.jpg.c27e6bce0c818fdcc58a9280c102115f.jpg

Well, I don't know anything about trucks. 

Of the two cars shown, I think the Impala was always Revell, never Monogram, and the Camaro is 1/24, not 1/25. 

I still can't think of any Monogram, 1/25, car snapper kits. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I still can't think of any Monogram, 1/25, car snapper kits. :unsure:

Can't think of any either right off....

For 1/25th scale glue kits, there were a number of Monogram branded new tools in the early 90s, inexplicably.   The first issues of the '59 Chevys, '59 Cadillacs, and '65 Impala come to mind...always wondered they didn't have the Revell branding like other new tooling after the Revell-Monogram merger...