Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

People don’t understand how tooling actually works, so they simplify it down as if they were kit bashing... the ole “it’s so simple,  just take the roof off kit A and add the engine top end from kit B!”

They have no idea how those parts sit on trees, or how those blocks fit into a tool to work with plastic flow and ejector pins. How much room is there in the confines of a tool? And I’m sure I’ve over simplified that. And that’s why there are engineers!

That is 100% true on vintage tooling. Huge blocks of nickel steel with all the parts in a single tool. (minus tires and clear) Tooling was a lot cheaper and done in house often.

It has changed.  If you look at new tooling you will see small modular 'trees'. Revell did this first with the little steel wheels, trim ring and center cap mold that they then used in a number of kits. Moebius has taken it to a new level with their kits. The  Ford p/u kits are made up of modular molds...kinda mix and match to make a complete kit. 

R2 is now doing this too. If you note kits with new or retooled parts they come on a little tree of their own.  Salvnos has tooled a mold for a single part and toss it into the vintage Monogram kit....new kit! 

So a up top, tooled alone in a new mold is not totally out of the question. But I bet if R2 does it it will be a 2nd version sold later after we all buy the first one. 

Chris asked:  Tim, can you add any details, like whether the glass was redone, and will it still have clear red taillights? Any chance it will have a raised convertible top?

Chris....sorry.....my knowledge of this project was at just the very most basic level.  I did ask the follow-up question about the Judson blowers when the project became closer to reality, but beyond that, nadah…...my biggest thought was just hoping the project would progress from "we're looking at this" to styrene flowing through the molds.....

Best regards....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

8 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Would the Lindberg/AMT 66 Chevelle chassis be a suitable donor as well? I have an Olds motor to donate to the cause as well.

Should be, though minor mods might be necessary. Actually the chassis from any '64-'67 GM A-body kit should work. I'm planning to build my resin copy on a Revell '65 Chevelle chassis. 

Swapping chassis and engine compartments between GM cars, you do have to watch little details like radiator hoses, fan shrouds, and battery location.  If I remember right, when I mastered an Olds 442 body using a Revell '67 Chevelle engine compartment, I had to cut the battery (or battery tray?) out.  I do know the battery is on opposite sides of the engine compartment in a GTO versus an overhead cam six Tempest. 

I actually sought out the convertible version of the '64 Cutlass since I already had hardtop versions of the '64-'65 Chevelle and GTO.  As someone once said, "variety is the spice of life".  

The '64 442 emblems differ from what was used on '65-'67.

Now to start another rumor … maybe the new station wagon is the '64 Vista Cruiser!

If the "new" Cutlass sells well, maybe Round 2 will consider fixing up the '65 Dynamic 88.  Think of the bodies that could be done with the basic chassis and engine: '65 & '66 Dynamic or Delta 88, '65 & '66 Starfire, '65 Jetstar 1.  All of these were available with a 4-speed.  

Regarding convertible versions with top up, I haven't seen any that looked quite right.  The top doesn't fit onto the windshield header properly, even if the sun visors are cut off.  A detachable windshield frame with molded-in up top would work.

I wouldn't hang my hat on a Vista Cruiser...those are on a longer wheelbase (longer rear doors than other four-doors)...different chassis would be needed.  Might be a good idea for a conversion, or a resin body.

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The announcement say's convertible.

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS      Plastic Model Kits
Brand Product # Description Suggested
Retail Price
Status
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1200 1/25 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible $35.95 TBA

Personally I find it strange that they don't go for a hardtop body when tooling all new, cuz hardtops sell a lot better, perhaps it's because of the interior tub.

Thanks , @Luc Janssens , I ostensibly didn't see that -- or , perhaps , I ignored it -- the first time around . 

I , like probably 85% of us here , am extremely pleased to see the return of the iconic Olds A-bod !  I like the custom pieces ; I hope that they're included in this partially-new issue . 

It'd be nice to see how well the chassis , engine , etc. , from the AMT or Lindberg Olds kits of '66 , '67 , and  '69 model years fit .

Edited by 1972coronet

30 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

It'd be nice to see how well the chassis , engine , etc. , from the AMT or Lindberg Olds kits of '66 , '67 , and  '69 model years fit .

'68-'72 chassis won't work. They're three inches too short. But the '66 and '67 should work fine. 

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Swapping chassis and engine compartments between GM cars, you do have to watch little details like radiator hoses, fan shrouds, and battery location.  If I remember right, when I mastered an Olds 442 body using a Revell '67 Chevelle engine compartment, I had to cut the battery (or battery tray?) out.  I do know the battery is on opposite sides of the engine compartment in a GTO versus an overhead cam six Tempest. 

Battery is on whichever side the starter is on IIRC. Pontiac and Oldsmobile have it on the driver's side, Chevrolet on the passenger side.  Buick, I don't remember. It makes sense that the OHC would have a passenger side battery because of it being based on a Chevy block. 

10 hours ago, Mark said:

I wouldn't hang my hat on a Vista Cruiser...those are on a longer wheelbase (longer rear doors than other four-doors)...different chassis would be needed.  Might be a good idea for a conversion, or a resin body.

come on, Mark, what about the '65 Bonneville made into the 2+2 ?; I know, that was a disaster!

The '64-'67 Cutlass was on a 115" wheelbase, while the Vista Cruiser was a 120" wheelbase.  The '68-'72 VC had a 121" wheelbase vs. the 116" wheelbase on the Cutlass 4-door and wagon.  I agree that our only hope for one is probably a resin conversion kit.  

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

People don’t understand how tooling actually works, so they simplify it down as if they were kit bashing... the ole “it’s so simple,  just take the roof off kit A and add the engine top end from kit B!”

They have no idea how those parts sit on trees, or how those blocks fit into a tool to work with plastic flow and ejector pins. How much room is there in the confines of a tool? And I’m sure I’ve over simplified that. And that’s why there are engineers!

I would enjoy seeing the process..

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Should be, though minor mods might be necessary. Actually the chassis from any '64-'67 GM A-body kit should work. I'm planning to build my resin copy on a Revell '65 Chevelle chassis. 

Great, I've bought more than enough donor kits as it is.

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Found this: 

cutwgans.jpg

I believe that is the one. I don't remember the green wagon from the article (I think the Buick was blue), maybe this is a pic from the Toy Museum.

I think it was done using some of the '65 Chevelle Wagon.  

I am very much looking forward to the '64 F-85 Cutlass convertible kit. And I'll be very happy if it's brought back as close to original kit as possible. Including the metal axles and metal screws to hold the chassis to the body. I love those old 1960's AMT kits. They maybe "too" simple by today's standards. But that's always been fine with me. The kits always looked great sitting on my shelves. I rarely have cared how detailed the chassis looked on most of my kits. Heck, I didn't even mind if the didn't include an engine. As long as the car look right. Some of my favorite kits were the old AMT simple Craftsman kits. I'd love to see several of those kits come. Especially the '59 Ford Fairlane 500, '63 Falcon convertible, and '64 Corvair coupe.

There was some comment earlier in this thread, about Round 2 reissuing the AMT 1/16 scale '57 Thunderbird? I hope this is true. But, even more so, I love to see them reissue the AMT 1/16 scale 1955 Thunderbird. And isn't it time we saw a new reissue of MPC's   1/16 scale '63 Corvette Sting Ray too? The 1/16 scale '55 Chevys they've reissued in recent years have not been big on my wanted list. But, the Thunderbirds? That's another story. I'll be very happy to see and ad either 1/16 scale Thunderbirds to my collection.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Any word? Did I understand it correctly that Round 2 will be reissuing the AMT 1/16 Thunderbird? Or was I mistaken on that one?

At some point this year, yes the '57 is on the planned kits. The bittersweet irony of the situation is now there's now no problem getting the kits produced, but there may be no way to distribute them or sell them here in the U.S. until later this year.

On 3/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, Rodent said:

Battery is on whichever side the starter is on IIRC. Pontiac and Oldsmobile have it on the driver's side, Chevrolet on the passenger side.  Buick, I don't remember. It makes sense that the OHC would have a passenger side battery because of it being based on a Chevy block. 

Buicks are on the passenger side. 

10 hours ago, gui_tarzan said:

Buicks are on the passenger side. 

it depends on the car; for example, the '65 Special and Skylark have it on the passenger side, while the GS has it on the driver's side; the best way to know is to examine engine photos for cars advertised for sale

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

it depends on the car; for example, the '65 Special and Skylark have it on the passenger side, while the GS has it on the driver's side; the best way to know is to examine engine photos for cars advertised for sale

Ok so not the car itself, but the particular engine. I've never had a big block Buick engine, only the 300s and one 225 V6 in my '64s and '65s. 

The '64 F-85 Cutlass convertible is great news.  If it has the promo style chassis with metal axles, that's even better.  Like what was mentioned here, those old simplified Craftsman style kits always look great on the shelf. 

I'd like to see R2 reissue the stock AMT '80-'81 Camaro Z28 Snap Kit as a follow up to the Cheverra.  It's unfortuntate that the only thing preventing a stock early '80's Z28 with the Cheverra is the non-stock separate trunk lid panel with custom whale tail rear spoiler.  Both kits actually shared the same tooling except for this particular part.  In fact, the stock AMT Z28 snap kit had the "Cheverra" style whale tail decklid with spoiler attached as an option on the parts tree.    

Of course, if they can find the original MPC tooling from the last the '84-'85 issue of the "ProStreet" Camaro, that would be great too.  The only concern would be the stock "air induction" hood from the original '80-'81 annual.  The later "Pro Street" reissue had the '78-'79 style hood for some reason.  That makes me think they either lost the tooling insert for or they just didn't include it for some reason.  I'm thinking the former is the reason.  However, it shouldn't be that hard to retool a stock '80-'81 air induction hood to make it work IMO.          

Edited by the other Mike S.