Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:
AMT-1212 1/25 1953 Studebaker Starliner Car $32.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1213 1/25 1978 Volkswagen Rabbit Car $31.95

TBA    

Ah, Rabbit Car.  Good to see that one back.. was a neat little kit. 

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Thanks for sharing the video starting right at the car kit part.

Looks like Chad was operating the camera this time too. Wonder if it's a result of social distancing?

But in all seriousness, glad they're still up and running shipping kits.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I'm not a '27 Ford fan, but I might have to buy one just for the Frontenac engine, which I can see going into an interesting project of some kind....

Either Rod & Custom (or the short-lived model car magazine) had a couple of articles on building Model T speedsters.  One had a body made entirely of paper, I believe the other had a tail section made from a Double Dragster streamlined nose piece.  A bare bones floor/seat/gas tank setup might make a neat hill climb or Race of Gentlemen type of thing...

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh goodie! Monopoly themed re-issues! 

Oh God Facepalm GIF by Gordon Ramsay - Find & Share on GIPHY

This begs the question, Is Round 2 making or paying for Monopoly or Coke product placement in these kits ?  I would love to hear his verbal opinion on this. 

Edited by espo

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Yes......R2 does not have a true 71 Mustang,,,,,,,hope for some tooling updates. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Thanks for sharing the video starting right at the car kit part.

On second thought, I probably should've started from the start of the video, seeing as there's something relevant to the '71 Mustang Mach 1 announcement. We shall see, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Round2 create a correct grille (I think that was the most visible inaccuracy in previous reissues?). Probably way too much on that in this topic:

6 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Ah, Rabbit Car.  Good to see that one back.. was a neat little kit. 

It was okay for the era and if one is stuck on 1/25th it’s even better. I got a neat built one in Toledo for $1 years ago, really well built/painted in black like a GTI with wired engine and everything, but it had suffered from some sort of heat event that melted the roof. For a buck it just had to come home. I stocked up on the excellent 1/24 new-tool Rabbit, GTI and Cabrio kits from Revell; the Rabbit version done for US consumption is really a hidden gem and were blown out cheap at Ollie’s. Waaay better than the AMT kit that’s going to be more $$ than the Revell Rabbit full MSRP was when current. Revell Germany issues sold here have gone way down in price in the post-Hobbico era. 

Revell needs to do new- tool Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 Scirocco kits. The AMT Scirocco is meh at best and 1/25 is “fingernails on a chalkboard” for me regarding imports, but it’s the only stock game in town.

Just now, Dave Van said:

If it sells 500 more kits than if not licensed....good deal!! 

You have a point there, and I do hope there are moving a few extra units due to the Product tie ins. But, I sure do hope they put some of that money to use on new tooling. 

While it is nice to get some old kits back, it is also nice to get new tools 

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

1971 Mustang front bumper is needed along with grille....but looking at the movie stills is it even a MACH1??  Dog dish caps, no stripes....dual scoop hood....but no MACH1 emblems.....

Those wheel covers were very common on '71s... Mach 1s often had them.  

And in the movie stills, the Mach 1 lettering is visible on the side:

au051-ford-mustang-mach-1-636-2.jpg

Note the white wall tires.  Was supposed to be a rental car in the movie IIRC.

I'd assume, though, the kit will be the same old, same old MPC '73 w/ a '71-ish grille...maybe now w/ Mach 1 decals instead of Boss 351 decals.

Edited by Rob Hall

I guess they would get around to reissuing the Rabbit.  One of my favorite kits.  I've built a couple and still have a couple unbuilt in their boxes. I plan to do the next one in baby blue.  Gonna line them all up at Easter.

IMG 0816

IMG 1359

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I guess they would get around to reissuing the Rabbit.  One of my favorite kits.  I've built a couple and still have a couple unbuilt in their boxes. I plan to do the next one in baby blue.  Gonna line them all up at Easter.

IMG 0816

IMG 1359

Those are sweet, Steve