Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

4 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

The Rabbit would be cool, if Revell hadn’t rolled out a better, modern tooled one. The AMT kit was state of the art back then, though.

I've been avoiding the Revell Rabbit. Look at the instructions on line in the past, it looked like they too much fiddle detail in it too me. I'm glad to see the old AMT Rabbit coming back. Though Revell's Rabbit Cabriolet keep call to me. Again too much "stuff" in the kit, but since AMT never did one, it's the only choice I know of out there. 

The Rabbit, at this point with the far superior Revell kit out there (fiddle detail possibilities notwithstanding), is interesting in that it's just in putting another nail in the coffin burying that old - "All the AMT Lesney Era tooling rusted on the docks in Baltimore" rumor.

5 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Teddy bear wheels? Where did you find those??? I have a Revell Golf Cabrio which I keep picturing as a triple white with Ronal Bears all around.

Wish the new releases were more exciting, nothing that I don’t already have in the collection (esp. the ‘71 Mustang; someone please tool a new one and bury the old tooling).

I got them from ascp on ebay, they are really nice. they do 2 sizes, 14 and 17 inch. They are acurate scale and slightly smaller than the same size aoshima wheels. this is the 14 inch version, i think they look a little undersize on the revell golfs but the 17 would be better. I've included a pic of them under a hasegawa vw to show the size a little better

DSC05687.JPG

DSC05688.JPG

Edited by stitchdup
missed out a pic

4 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I've been avoiding the Revell Rabbit. Look at the instructions on line in the past, it looked like they too much fiddle detail in it too me. I'm glad to see the old AMT Rabbit coming back. Though Revell's Rabbit Cabriolet keep call to me. Again too much "stuff" in the kit, but since AMT never did one, it's the only choice I know of out there. 

Theres a curbside kit out there by mitsuawa, but i wouldn't reccomend it. the interior panels are too short for the kit, and nothing really fits very well. I had to do a lot of sanding on the body to get it to look more like a golf

6 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I got them from ascp on ebay, they are really nice. they do 2 sizes, 14 and 17 inch. They are acurate scale and slightly smaller than the same size aoshima wheels. this is the 14 inch version, i think they look a little undersize on the revell golfs but the 17 would be better. I've included a pic of them under a hasegawa vw to show the size a little better

DSC05687.JPG

DSC05688.JPG

No offense meant personality to you. But, if anybody sees me putting teddy bears wheels on any vehicle, scale model or real. Please shot me. Put me out of my misery. Senility will have set in... Okay, now that that little rant is over with. I've never in real life seen teddy bear wheels on anything. Scale or full size. They don't make these for real, full size vehicles, do they?

59 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

No offense meant personality to you. But, if anybody sees me putting teddy bears wheels on any vehicle, scale model or real. Please shot me. Put me out of my misery. Senility will have set in... Okay, now that that little rant is over with. I've never in real life seen teddy bear wheels on anything. Scale or full size. They don't make these for real, full size vehicles, do they?

no offence taken, but here you go

unnamed.jpg

17 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The teddy bear wheels look like a cookie or cracker to me. They make me hungry for a snack. :lol:

I know i've got a pic of a set painted to look like cookies, but i cant find it to post (but since i have nearly 50,000 vw golf pics thats no surprise)

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Rabbit, at this point with the far superior Revell kit out there (fiddle detail possibilities notwithstanding), is interesting in that it's just in putting another nail in the coffin burying that old - "All the AMT Lesney Era tooling rusted on the docks in Baltimore" rumor.

I though that was put to rest a few years ago with the reissues of the VW Scirocco, 280ZX, Toyota 4x4 pickup, Turbo Firebird, Cheverra Z28, and more recently, the Subaru BRAT.

AMT1982catalog24-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

... it's just in putting another nail in the coffin burying that old - "All the AMT Lesney Era tooling rusted on the docks in Baltimore" rumor.

I've never heard that one...the Lesney created tooling would have been brand new, or nearly so, then.  What some have said, including an ex-employee I once talked to, is that with the closure of the Troy, MI building (it had been sold) most of the existing AMT molds were shipped to Baltimore.  Some of THAT stuff did sit outdoors and get damaged.  What was lost, we'll never know.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I though that was put to rest a few years ago with the reissues of the VW Scirocco, 280ZX, Toyota 4x4 pickup, Turbo Firebird, Cheverra Z28, and more recently, the Subaru BRAT.

AMT1982catalog24-vi.jpg

You'd think but then there are still people who insist Revell is bankrupt and doesn't make kits anymore despite all the evidence to the contrary. 

Funny thing about those Bear wheels --- I've never seen them on a car or truck . 

I certainly remember seeing ads with them in the manufacturer's lineup (mostly in Car & Driver and in the fledgling Mini-Truck magazines) , but never on a vehicle .

Maybe the scene back in the 80's was too macho for bear wheels ? Hahahaha .

The comments on the Thomas Flyer surprise me....maybe it shouldn't. AMT produced a bunch of that kit and very few people rushed out to get one. Okay, no one did. I've heard more than one person desire to buy one.

It reminds me of the original Knight Rider kit.....thing was more common than pimples on a thirteen year old. I bet know if you had a sealed one at a show, there'd be a fist fight over it.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

You'd think but then there are still people who insist Revell is bankrupt and doesn't make kits anymore despite all the evidence to the contrary. 

Very true.

"I wish AMT would..." ?‍♂️

Ah well, let those who long for the AMT VW Rabbit bask in its splendor once it's released.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Some of THAT stuff did sit outdoors and get damaged.  What was lost, we'll never know.

I have to wonder if some of that poorly maintained tooling was already in poor condition, and too-far-gone to be worth preserving in Lesney's eyes. I'm glad the oddball Subaru BRAT survived, but if the Rabbit was lost forever, I wouldn't have shed a tear, especially with better options existing.

27 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Funny thing about those Bear wheels --- I've never seen them on a car or truck . 

I certainly remember seeing ads with them in the manufacturer's lineup (mostly in Car & Driver and in the fledgling Mini-Truck magazines) , but never on a vehicle .

Ronal made them IIRC...

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

Very true.

"I wish AMT would..." ?‍♂️

Ah well, let those who long for the AMT VW Rabbit bask in its splendor once it's released.

I have to wonder if some of that poorly maintained tooling was already in poor condition, and too-far-gone to be worth preserving in Lesney's eyes. I'm glad the oddball Subaru BRAT survived, but if the Rabbit was lost forever, I wouldn't have shed a tear, especially with better options existing.

Indeed

The stories of lost and damaged tooling are some of the greatest Urban Legends of the modeling world.  While some have come true, most are still that, Urban Legends. 

I would not be surprised if the "Rust" was mostly surface rust and just made it easy for someone to write them off. 

Until then, may the stories continue! ?

28 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

The stories of lost and damaged tooling are some of the greatest Urban Legends of the modeling world.  While some have come true, most are still that, Urban Legends. 

I would not be surprised if the "Rust" was mostly surface rust and just made it easy for someone to write them off. 

Until then, may the stories continue! ?

I recall reading or hearing a story in the Ertl days that when they looked into re-releasing the '65 Galaxie again, the tool had some serious pitting on some inserts due to bad storage conditions, IIRC they had to grind away so much material on the chassis or bottom of the interior bucket, resulting in the body not going over the chassis all the way, but again If I recall correctly.

edit:

Think the story came from Dave Darby who at the time built box-art models for Ertl.

Edited by Luc Janssens

7 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

That's them ! I'd forgotten the name of the company --- thanks for popping a memory capsule .

I don't think I've ever seen a set in person, but have seen photos of them on Rabbits, Golfs, Cubes, Miatas, etc...and inexplicably a GMC pickup. 

Teddy7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't think I've ever seen a set in person, but have seen photos of them on Rabbits, Golfs, Cubes, Miatas, etc...and inexplicably a GMC pickup. 

Teddy7.jpg

i think thats photoshopped, they only came in 14" originally, and they did a short run of them in 17" a few years ago