Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't think I've ever seen a set in person, but have seen photos of them on Rabbits, Golfs, Cubes, Miatas, etc...and inexplicably a GMC pickup. 

Teddy7.jpg

It looks photoshopped to me too. At least I hope it is. No one of male persuasion has a right to call him self a man driving a truck with those on them. 

3 hours ago, iBorg said:

The comments on the Thomas Flyer surprise me....maybe it shouldn't. AMT produced a bunch of that kit and very few people rushed out to get one. Okay, no one did. I've heard more than one person desire to buy one.

It reminds me of the original Knight Rider kit.....thing was more common than pimples on a thirteen year old. I bet know if you had a sealed one at a show, there'd be a fist fight over it.

At least one person did, and I wouldn't mind getting another.

EDIT: Oh right, Eric got one too, so I guess that makes two.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

5DD09C51-CAE8-457E-9E28-6430C577E67D.jpeg.383c6c35335e8f78fd0fe6f03bfb2344.jpeg
The bears are a German cultural thing. Where you didn’t see these here in the USA until maybe 1980s, they’ve been sold in Germany for eons. I remember them as early as 1966 so most Germans our age grew up with them

Edited by Tom Geiger

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

5DD09C51-CAE8-457E-9E28-6430C577E67D.jpeg.383c6c35335e8f78fd0fe6f03bfb2344.jpeg
The bears are a German cultural thing. Where you didn’t see these here in the USA until maybe 1980s, they’ve been sold in Germany for eons. I remember them as early as 1966 so most Germans our age grew up with them

Maybe it's because I grew up on military bases, but I've known about these bears since I was a kid and I was born in 1964.

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It looks photoshopped to me too. At least I hope it is. No one of male persuasion has a right to call him self a man driving a truck with those on them. 

:rolleyes: The wheels won’t hurt you. 

10 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I recall reading or hearing a story in the Ertl days that when they looked into re-releasing the '65 Galaxie again, the tool had some serious pitting on some inserts due to bad storage conditions, IIRC they had to grind away so much material on the chassis or bottom of the interior bucket, resulting in the body not going over the chassis all the way, but again If I recall correctly.

edit:

Think the story came from Dave Darby who at the time built box-art models for Ertl.

But fortunately the mold could be saved. The 65 Galaxie was reissued and continues to be available. I haven't compared reissue and annual, but I will do. Interesting hint!

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Now if Round2 were to bring back the Thomas Flyrer or the Stutz Bearcat,  I would not be unhappy.

They need to bring back both the Thomas Flyer and the Stutz Bearcat.  Then we can use the Bearcat fenders to build a stock Thomas Flyer.

Or maybe not.  I just did a quick drive-by of eBay "Completed Items."  Both of those kits sell for an average of about $25 to $30.  Though this is eBay, so there are some outliers with prices from $50 to $80.  Looks like there's no shortage of either kit.

So to put that in perspective, we can get either kit for about the retail price of yet another '40 Ford or '23 T Delivery Wagon re-issue.  (But with Coke decals!)  

15 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Maybe it's because I grew up on military bases, but I've known about these bears since I was a kid and I was born in 1964.

Same here! We lived in Izmir, Turkey in 1966 and my father brought them back from a trip to Germany.  Then we lived in Germany from 1969-72

12 hours ago, Mike999 said:

They need to bring back both the Thomas Flyer and the Stutz Bearcat.  Then we can use the Bearcat fenders to build a stock Thomas Flyer.

Or maybe not.  I just did a quick drive-by of eBay "Completed Items."  Both of those kits sell for an average of about $25 to $30.  Though this is eBay, so there are some outliers with prices from $50 to $80.  Looks like there's no shortage of either kit.

So to put that in perspective, we can get either kit for about the retail price of yet another '40 Ford or '23 T Delivery Wagon re-issue.  (But with Coke decals!)  

Not everyone deals with Ebay. I try to avoid that nightmare.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:04 AM, niteowl7710 said:

The Rabbit, at this point with the far superior Revell kit out there (fiddle detail possibilities notwithstanding), is interesting in that it's just in putting another nail in the coffin burying that old - "All the AMT Lesney Era tooling rusted on the docks in Baltimore" rumor.

I’m waiting for the Capris II to re-emerge before I let the rumor die...

2D2B2C8A-2216-4944-9E89-99E8F3384DC9.jpeg

Why convert a MK II Capri to a MK I widebody? It isn't an AMT kit, but it is out there. Typical motorized kit, very shallow interior, not much detail. It's been around forever - I bought one in the early 80's. This one is kit 1537. I am a huge fan of Capris - I had a 73 4 cylinder in the early 80s, also. Loved the car.

IMG_20200411_180521.jpg

Edited by SSNJim

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I think I have a kit of that! Only problem is it's some oddball scale like 1/28 or something. :wacko:

2 hours ago, SSNJim said:

Why convert a MK II Capri to a MK I widebody? It isn't an AMT kit, but it is out there. Typical motorized kit, very shallow interior, not much detail. It's been around forever - I bought one in the early 80's. This one is kit 1537. I am a huge fan of Capris - I had a 73 4 cylinder in the early 80s, also. Loved the car.

IMG_20200411_180521.jpg

I think might have posted the kit you're talking about, I didn't know such a thing existed.

51 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I think might have posted the kit you're talking about, I didn't know such a thing existed.

Mine is by Entex, and it's notably undersize for 1/25. I don't know if the Academy is the same kit, or a direct knockoff (they've been known to do that), or if it's a whole different thing that might actually be 1/25 or close to it. 

4 hours ago, SSNJim said:

IMG_20200411_180521.jpg

I was very unhappy back in the day when I bought this kit. It is 1/28 scale....AND very simple. 

Tamiya did a much better Capri.......

zackcapri1.JPG