Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

It was not a good seller? Try to pick one up now. It's impossible to find one at a reasonable price. 

Saw one on Ebay a few days ago. $80 buy it now! I know where one is sitting on a shelf for $20. I'm going back to get it next week hopefully. 

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It was not a good seller? Try to pick one up now. It's impossible to find one at a reasonable price. 

Obviously not because it wasn’t out long before it was discontinued. Got my second Rabbit at Ollie’s for $7.99. Search hobby shops and swap meets, it’s not that rare a kit. 

The AMT Rabbit tooling still exists.  And FWIW (given the memory is now 42 years old), I put together one of these right after it came out, without paint, to assess whether AMT had made progress in improving the quality of their newly tooled kits of the late 1970's.  My recollection was that the kit went together really well 

The kit was tooled as a joint project with the AMT Scirocco kit of the same era; much of the underbody is shared parts trees.  Round 2 reissued the Scirocco within the last several years, so we know the tooling exists. 

Those of you who read the other model magazine should check out my fairly recent "Classic Kits" column review of the AMT Rabbit, it contains some pretty interesting "insider info" about the kit from back in the day, and a published quote from the soon-thereafter AMT-Lesney-Matchbox product manager discussing the market (non)results of the kit....

TIM 

7 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Never saw the originals:

MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-934 1/32 Wacky Races: Compact Pussycat (Snap) $30.95 TBA
MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-935 1/32 Wacky Races: Mean Machine (Snap) $30.95 TBA

I want them.....stupid kits....hated them as a kid......now I wanted them because I dismissed them back in the day.

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The AMT Rabbit tooling still exists.  And FWIW (given the memory is now 42 years old), I put together one of these right after it came out, without paint, to assess whether AMT had made progress in improving the quality of their newly tooled kits of the late 1970's.  My recollection was that the kit went together really well 

The kit was tooled as a joint project with the AMT Scirocco kit of the same era; much of the underbody is shared parts trees.  Round 2 reissued the Scirocco within the last several years, so we know the tooling exists. 

Those of you who read the other model magazine should check out my fairly recent "Classic Kits" column review of the AMT Rabbit, it contains some pretty interesting "insider info" about the kit from back in the day, and a published quote from the soon-thereafter AMT-Lesney-Matchbox product manager discussing the market (non)results of the kit....

TIM 

I built the Amt Rabbit about 20 years ago. Found it at a swap meet for about $5. The box had mildew and dead roaches in it. It went together very well, and had decent enough detail. Too bad I no longer have it. When I got divorced I took my Jeep, my tools, and my guns. When I went back for my models most were trashed. I'll find another one someday. 

13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

This is probably your best bet for online, I would jump on it,   very nice kit,

https://www.squadron.com/Revell-USA-1-24-VW-Rabbit-California-Wheels-RM43-p/rm4333.htm

I did a What's In The Box video you can view here.

https://youtu.be/zuRDxEqDNeA

Edited by martinfan5

On 7/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, martinfan5 said:

https://www.squadron.com/Revell-USA-1-24-VW-Rabbit-California-Wheels-RM43-p/rm4333.htm

Jonathan, thank you. But, a local vendor I deal with regularly has indicated he's got one I can have for $23. Without shipping I should come out better than even Squadron's great price. But, I sure appreciate you letting me know about Squadron's deal on the kit. That is a very good price. 

Edited by unclescott58

On 7/4/2020 at 3:22 AM, martinfan5 said:

thanks for the link, if the shipping aint too high I'll be having one of them

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Other than the stock Chrysler straight-8 , what options are there ? I didn't see anything on the parts' layout on the box's bottom which would indicate / allude to an optional engine .

I think the options are the motorcycle, figures, guns, etc.  

That little motorcycle is one of my grails! Hot Dog! Can finally score one for not a small fortune and not resin!
Oh, and the Imperial could be used in a small chase scene diorama with the 27 ford T police car!