Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

Alright so here's a good use of vintage box art on a not at all vintage - well not as vintage as it looks - kit.  I have a couple of the Dodge 330s from when they were part of the Ollie's dump, but never a stock Plymouth.  This is on the Distribution List for Late September.

AMT1188M-2.jpg.af056b1569d9a8a4e7d5b0d22ffc6895.jpg

I'm guessing we will still have to build the '64 Plymouth Belvedere as a "special order" car.  The kit has bucket seats, which were only available in the Sport Fury in 1964. Lindberg tooled up a bench seat and buckets for different versions of the '64 Dodge kits, but never did that for the Plymouth kit as far as I know.  

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I'm guessing we will still have to build the '64 Plymouth Belvedere as a "special order" car.  The kit has bucket seats, which were only available in the Sport Fury in 1964. Lindberg tooled up a bench seat and buckets for different versions of the '64 Dodge kits, but never did that for the Plymouth kit as far as I know.  

If it’s a slant 6 shouldn’t it have a bench more than likely?  But in the model world anything can happen...

All Belvedere's had bench seats unless ordered as drag racing specials.Would be nice if AMT or what ever they are called did a bench like they did in the Jenkins Nova..I used 64 Dodge bench in the one I converted to a two door post..Most people don't really look into the interior or know what the proper patterns are unless it on a rag top..Build on, it may not be correct but who other than most finatic Mopar nuts know..If its like the one on the black cover it will build into a nice car..

20 hours ago, Mark said:

I saw the Belvedere kit at Hobby Lobby yesterday morning.

That'd be a nifty trick seeing as how it hasn't been released yet.  I'm guessing you saw the Lawman drag version or the Richard Petty NASCAR one, which is not what this kit is, it's a factory stock version with a 426 Commando and Slant 6.  That one hasn't seen the light of day since Burkett paid for a private run back in 2006.

Nope, the factory (near) stock version, the new one.  The one with the box art pictured above.  They haven't had the Petty version for a long time, and I bought a Lawman version last year when it was closed out.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope, the factory (near) stock version, the new one.  The one with the box art pictured above.  They haven't had the Petty version for a long time, and I bought a Lawman version last year when it was closed out.

I'm pretty sure I saw the kit at my HL Saturday too. 

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That'd be a nifty trick seeing as how it hasn't been released yet.  I'm guessing you saw the Lawman drag version or the Richard Petty NASCAR one, which is not what this kit is, it's a factory stock version with a 426 Commando and Slant 6.  That one hasn't seen the light of day since Burkett paid for a private run back in 2006.

It's in stores. Or at least some stores.

A kid in the FB group posted his HL purchase of it back on the 13th.

25 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Hobby Lobby is the largest single retailer buying from R2....It could be they are drop shipping their kits now.....thus getting them same time or BEFORE R2 gets them.  

Well HL does need to buy SOMETHING given the continued plodding state of affairs with Revell these days.  If it weren't for Round2 reissuing stuff on a monthly basis the Domestic kits would only be showing up a couple a Fiscal Quarter.  Although if they are getting things sent directly to the warehouses in Oklahoma and then they're distributing them to their stores regardless of the "mass" release date, one does have to wonder if we're going to see history repeat itself with one major big box retailer dictating the market again.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well HL does need to buy SOMETHING given the continued plodding state of affairs with Revell these days.  If it weren't for Round2 reissuing stuff on a monthly basis the Domestic kits would only be showing up a couple a Fiscal Quarter.  Although if they are getting things sent directly to the warehouses in Oklahoma and then they're distributing them to their stores regardless of the "mass" release date, one does have to wonder if we're going to see history repeat itself with one major big box retailer dictating the market again.

I'll admit Revell is still on the slow road.....but my HL keeps getting current and newer Revell and selling out. I picked up the semi new Jeep and a few other on my recent trips. I think Revell is on the verge of getting on track....or close. 

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I'll admit Revell is still on the slow road.....but my HL keeps getting current and newer Revell and selling out. I picked up the semi new Jeep and a few other on my recent trips. I think Revell is on the verge of getting on track....or close. 

They're keeping the shelves stocked. But the road to getting back going with newer releases is a long and slow one. My point being was if Round2 evaporated tomorrow the entirety of Domestic Kit regular releases would be a monthly-ish Salvinos release. Moebius has put out 4 kits in 2020 with 2 more planned (3 if you count the reissue of the original Hudson). Revell still has 3 kits pending from the last release stuff they updated us on (GTX, '62 Impala & El Camino) but they're also at a handful of kits in 2020 with maybe a few more for the 4Q - One of which is most likely a re-box of the upcoming E-Type.  Not complaining, and certainly the Rona is doing no favors to anyone, but HL's eggs are sorta stuck in a basket and in turn so are Round2's. 

I just sincerely hope we don't see another Wal*Mart affair where HL Corporate Purchasing starts dictating what kits get reissued/produced to the ownership of AMT.

21 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That'd be a nifty trick seeing as how it hasn't been released yet.

I just bought mine today at HL.

It was the only new and different thing they've had since the shut down bagan a few months ago. So it stood out like a beacon!

Must've just been put out this week. 

On another forum I noticed that some are saying the plastic of especially newer or reissued AMT doesn't paint or feel like it did a year ago..Paint doesn't seem to stick and plastic feels like a hard vinyl..Is there something in the newer plastic from off shore that is different? I always thought that all the manufacturers plastic was a little transparent and brittle over the last few year..Is this new..Hope I'am not hi-jacking the thread and if I am maybe adm can move to where is should be..I ask this because of new AMT releases as topic mentions..

3 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

On another forum I noticed that some are saying the plastic of especially newer or reissued AMT doesn't paint or feel like it did a year ago..Paint doesn't seem to stick and plastic feels like a hard vinyl..Is there something in the newer plastic from off shore that is different? I always thought that all the manufacturers plastic was a little transparent and brittle over the last few year..Is this new..Hope I'am not hi-jacking the thread and if I am maybe adm can move to where is should be..I ask this because of new AMT releases as topic mentions..

I dunno blaming the plastic has become a fan favorite for builders to blame when people's skills don't meet their expectations.  I've seen people claim the plastic is too hard/brittle/too soft/every shade in between and usually universally "unpaintable" when RC2 moved production to Mexico, then to China, then when Round2 started leasing the tooling.  Revell's plastic was also worthless and unpaintable when they moved their tooling/manufacturing contractor first to China, and then every move inside of China.  It's any wonder any modeler has ever built a single model kit since 1998.

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I dunno blaming the plastic has become a fan favorite for builders to blame when people's skills don't meet their expectations.  I've seen people claim the plastic is too hard/brittle/too soft/every shade in between and usually universally "unpaintable" when RC2 moved production to Mexico, then to China, then when Round2 started leasing the tooling.  Revell's plastic was also worthless and unpaintable when they moved their tooling/manufacturing contractor first to China, and then every move inside of China.  It's any wonder any modeler has ever built a single model kit since 1998.

We get to blame the plastic for bad paint jobs?  SWEET!  Finally someone else to blame!  Stupid weird plastic ?