Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

1 hour ago, Fabrux said:

Recent trawl of Stevens International shows:

AMT-1229    1/25 1977 Ford Surfer Van    $32.95

AMT-1251    1/25 1953 Studebaker Starliner Car in Collectible Tin    $39.99

AMT-1252    1/25 USA-1 Chevy Silverado Monster Truck    $35.95

I see Price Creep continues, and always up.  Oh well.  To be expected, I guess.  

Maybe the Surfer Van will have the racks/surfboards from the recent '65 Chevelle wagon.  As somebody else said, Round 2 is really working that '77 Ford mold, and just in the last couple of years.  Maybe the next reissue will be something more interesting, like a Serial Killer Van. I could use some 1/25 scale chain saws.

IMO the '53 Stude "Mr. Speed" had some of the best box art ever.  After the last run, Hobby Lobby put those on clearance and I grabbed a couple cheap.  I'll leave that one for the USPS collectors, being more interested in plastic than tin. ? 

Monster trucks just don't interest me and I have the stock MPC '88 Silverado long-bed, so no sale there either.

Come on, Round 2.  Find the molds for the '60 Valiant 4-door and the '62 Imperial.  Well, I can dream...

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

IIRC, the 454SS was the only SWB fleetside kit that was done of that generation, don't recall a plain non-SS SWB fleetside kit.

Yes -- all of the other stock Fleetside pickups (of 1988 - ????) were LWB . That's another kit whose prices have escalated , likely because of all of the changes over the years . I was lucky to score a 1988 annual for a song a few years ago . 

In an unusual move , those 1988 ( ad seq. ) "new" body style kits were equipped with a manual trans . I believe that the c.1990 454-SS was the only iteration with an auto trans ( 700-R-4  / 4L60 , whatever ) .

54 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Maybe the Surfer Van will have the racks/surfboards from the recent '65 Chevelle wagon.  As somebody else said, Round 2 is really working that '77 Ford mold, and just in the last couple of years.  Maybe the next reissue will be something more interesting, like a Serial Killer Van. I could use some 1/25 scale chain saws.

I would like to see the MPC Off Road version make an appearance.....

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

In an unusual move , those 1988 ( ad seq. ) "new" body style kits were equipped with a manual trans . I believe that the c.1990 454-SS was the only iteration with an auto trans ( 700-R-4  / 4L60 , whatever ) .

Not only that, the transmission in the kit is the oddball Getrag transmission that was offered at first.

Edited by Fabrux

3 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Not only that, the transmission in the kit is the oddball Getrag transmission that was offered at first.

5-speed , IIRC . The 1988 C/K brochure lists the "creeper" 4-speed as an option as well --- not sure if there was a base model 4-speed ( 4th being direct ) . 

Did Chevrolet offer a V8/manual transmission in the '88 Silverado?  I shopped trucks in early '88, the Chevy dealer told me you had to take an automatic (another $1,000 or so) to get a V8, even a 305.  I drove a V6/stick but it was on the pokey side.  I probably still have the brochure, as I remember it did not contradict what I was told at the time.  They knew they'd lose the sale over that, so if they were fibbing just to sell the automatic they'd have changed their minds and just sold me what I wanted.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Did Chevrolet offer a V8/manual transmission in the '88 Silverado?  I shopped trucks in early '88, the Chevy dealer told me you had to take an automatic (another $1,000 or so) to get a V8, even a 305.  I drove a V6/stick but it was on the pokey side.  I probably still have the brochure, as I remember it did not contradict what I was told at the time.  They knew they'd lose the sale over that, so if they were fibbing just to sell the automatic they'd have changed their minds and just sold me what I wanted.

Was it in California? Looks like back then their emissions requirements only allowed a manual on the V6 and auto only on the v8s for the 1500s. Otherwise, you could get a manual on every size of engine they offered.

I remember seeing the then-new C/K back in summer 1987 . Wide variety of engine-transmission combos , no matter which lot had them . Yes , I recall seeing both the 305 *and* 350 with manual transmissions ---- in good old California ( life-long resident ) . 

Apparently , the only exceptions were :

6.2 litre Diesel not available in 1500 or 2500 models ;

7.4 litre not available in 1500 models .

I even remember a special ordered 1990 Suburban : 350 with 5 speed . 

Here's the 1988 C/K "New" Brochure http://oldcarbrochures.org/United States/GM Trucks and Vans/1988-GM-Trucks-and-Vans/1998-Chevrolet-Full-Size-Pickup-Brochure/index.html

On 9/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mike999 said:

Maybe the Surfer Van will have the racks/surfboards from the recent '65 Chevelle wagon.

I would expect exactly that, especially since the surboard and roof rack pieces from the '65 Chevelle Surf Wagon kit were all-new and separately molded from the rest of the kit, as seen in hpiguy's video review:

image.png.94a53f54879d2d986febe6f6eddff8a3.png

Edited by Casey

52 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I remember seeing the then-new C/K back in summer 1987 . Wide variety of engine-transmission combos , no matter which lot had them . Yes , I recall seeing both the 305 *and* 350 with manual transmissions ---- in good old California ( life-long resident ) . 

Here's the 1988 C/K "New" Brochure http://oldcarbrochures.org/United States/GM Trucks and Vans/1988-GM-Trucks-and-Vans/1998-Chevrolet-Full-Size-Pickup-Brochure/index.html

I just checked the brochure that I got when pricing the truck in early 1988.  Looks like the salesman was trying to stick me for an extra thousand dollars or so, by saying the automatic was necessary.  I ended up buying a Dodge Dakota, which I kept for 16 years, so I guess I didn't go wrong in passing up the Chevy.

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

Looks like the salesman was trying to stick me for an extra thousand dollars or so, by saying the automatic was necessary.

Their M.O. is offload whatever's in inventory . They couldn't be arsed to order or dealer-trade what someone wants ---- not sure if the delayed finalising of the transaction affects their commission (?) . 

I remember being somewhat stunned when I saw that these trucks came with the dreaded catalytic converter regardless of GVWR / engine , as just one model year prior , 1 tonne pickups with , say , the 454 , were unfettered . 

The special ordered 1990 Suburban was purchased through a dealership (which I'd eventually be working for some 6 years later ) whose reputation for sell the customer what they want (within reason) dated-back to the late 50's . Matter of fact , they received Z-16 number 20  ; no small feat considering that Cone Chevrolet was the next city over .

Actually, they didn't have very many in stock.  They'd have had to order one for me anyway.  That was even more the case with the Dodge dealer...this was a large dealer, and they only had two Dakotas, both of which they wanted to keep as demonstrators.  They did do a search before placing the order, they found one in Ohio with the options and powertrain I wanted (V6/stick) but I didn't want the color it was in.  I ordered the first three new vehicles I bought, the most recent one I bought off the lot because there really aren't any choices beyond trim level and color anymore.

The C1500s were discussed heavily in the truck review forum - which is just one down from this now, not stuck down in the basement anymore - and it was proven that the frame/chassis for the LWB street truck and the one under the Monster Truck are in fact different, and both existed at the same time.  Being that they have the monster truck as a unified runnable tool, but have released neither the SWB trucks or the LWB street trucks it would seem it's more of a question of where (and what if stuff is missing) the tooling inserts have snuck off into the tooling mounds.

3 hours ago, Mark said:
4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I just checked the brochure that I got when pricing the truck in early 1988.  Looks like the salesman was trying to stick me for an extra thousand dollars or so, by saying the automatic was necessary.  I ended up buying a Dodge Dakota, which I kept for 16 years, so I guess I didn't go wrong in passing up the Chevy.

Some friends up in the Sierras had a new 1988 K2500 5.7L TBI 5-speed extended cab that they used for their business, so I know they were available in California. I hated that truck every time I drove it. Nintendo dash with the stupidest HVAC controls ever. Separate radio and tape player that took up more real estate than it should have. Power window switches flush to the door panel down around knee level. 7100 ft elevation, but second gear up the hill slowly with four snowmobiles on a trailer was about the best it offered. Glad they don't make them like they used to.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Mark said:

I was a salesman at a very large dealer when these trucks came out. We had a few 305 V8/ manual transmission 1/2 ton trucks in stock.I really liked the way the truck drove.350s were very scarce.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

WOW! It's pretty bad when the best part of the whole video is Chad's dorky shirt.

Yah. I couldn't find one thing this month to even kinda-sorta-somewhat-semi want. Oh well, the '63 Nova wagon is coming....