Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

Lost my lunch. (Chad's 'dorky dorm' shirt).  Pow! [foot shot]

Neat to see the bulldozer/trailer combo, but . . . sure a shame they forget to include the PATERCILLAR decals.  Pow! [another foot shot]

And, what's up with two competing race cars wearing the same number? The LeMans kit has a Chaparral and a Ford GT, both running the number "1" - sheeesh. The scorers would enjoy that!  Pow! Pow! [shot themselves in both feet]

Shall we take up a collection? Everybody donates a penny and Chad can go to Micheals or Hobby Lobby and get a $3.99 tee shirt!

?  I'm Danno, I'm not running for anything, and I approved this message because it is some kinda quality!

PS: Ooooh, oooh! Mr. Kotter! Lookit dat. They're releasing a VW GTI. Whafor? 

Well, Epstein, it can easily be converted into a replica of one of the most iconic, desirable cars ever produced:  a Yugo!

? I'm not sure I approved that PS. We'll see.

Edited by Danno

10 hours ago, Danno said:

Lost my lunch. (Chad's 'dorky dorm' shirt).  Pow! [foot shot]

Neat to see the bulldozer/trailer combo, but . . . sure a shame they forget to include the PATERCILLAR decals.  Pow! [another foot shot]

And, what's up with two competing race cars wearing the same number? The LeMans kit has a Chaparral and a Ford GT, both running the number "1" - sheeesh. The scorers would enjoy that!  Pow! Pow! [shot themselves in both feet]

Shall we take up a collection? Everybody donates a penny and Chad can go to Micheals or Hobby Lobby and get a $3.99 tee shirt!

?  I'm Danno, I'm not running for anything, and I approved this message because it is some kinda quality!

PS: Ooooh, oooh! Mr. Kotter! Lookit dat. They're releasing a VW GTI. Whafor? 

Well, Epstein, it can easily be converted into a replica of one of the most iconic, desirable cars ever produced:  a Yugo!

? I'm not sure I approved that PS. We'll see.

Chad really needs a better shirt....and gave me a good laugh...?

I'll buy one of the GTIs. Unlike many, I could not care less about cars from the 50s. The 80s were my generation, and the GTI is one of the more iconic cars from the 80s.

I have the old ESCI kit. It's nicely detailed, and looks more accurate than the Revell kit from a few years ago.

8 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'll buy one of the GTIs. Unlike many, I could not care less about cars from the 50s. The 80s were my generation, and the GTI is one of the more iconic cars from the 80s.

I have the old ESCI kit. It's nicely detailed, and looks more accurate than the Revell kit from a few years ago.

I've got one of the amt gtis on backorder, plan is to display it with the scirocco. I would be interested to see the esci kit. I've seen them on ebay a few times but usually go for the revell kits, but it is one more to add to my vw stash. It cetainly cant be as bad as the mitsuawa golf cab, it was so bad i brush painted it with cheap paints

Hopefully Adam will do a review of this kit as part of his malaise series.  When I think of  iconic 1980s cars, it's Corvette, Z-28 and IROC-Z, Trans Am and GTA, Mustang GT,  Grand National, and my El Camino.  The GTI wouldn't win any beauty contest, but it's supposed to be a fun car to thrash around.

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Gee, that's setting a pretty low bar for a decade already notorious for lower standards in just about every category of pop culture. :P :) 

Nah, if it weren't for the GTI, the entire hot hatch movement would never have happened. We would have been left with Trans Ams or Corvettes that had 150hp V8s and weighed 2 tons. 

The GTI was exactly what engineers from GM did back in the 60s. They took their run of the mill family car, the Rabbit/Golf, and gave it a hotter engine, better transmission, better brakes, better suspension, and some trim upgrades. Rabbit is to GTI like LeMans is to GTO.

Rabbits and Scirrocos owned SCCA stock classes for ages, the motors were the basis for Supervee, and even regular German built 1600 Rabbits and Sciroccos were fun. Plus they had 13 and 14 inch wheels, so the geriatrics should like them. 
Epic cars. Still fun today. 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, iamsuperdan said:

On 10/5/2020 at 11:19 AM, stitchdup said:

I've got one of the amt gtis on backorder, plan is to display it with the scirocco. I would be interested to see the esci kit. I've seen them on ebay a few times but usually go for the revell kits, but it is one more to add to my vw stash. It cetainly cant be as bad as the mitsuawa golf cab, it was so bad i brush painted it with cheap paints

I'm pretty sure this is the old ESCI kit.  

I have built 2 and have 2 more unbuilt of the AMT kits and going by the parts diagram on the bottom of the box, this definitely is not the AMT. 

30 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I'm pretty sure this is the old ESCI kit.  

I have built 2 and have 2 more unbuilt of the AMT kits and going by the parts diagram on the bottom of the box, this definitely is not the AMT. 

Chris @hpiguydid a build-review of the GTI a couple of months ago ---- it's the ESCI kit in AMT clothing . Looks like a nice kit , regardless . 

Last time I saw one of the AMT Rabbit kits was in 1984 . It was at the J.C. Penny's on sale for 75 cents , which was a screaming deal , even 36 years ago . That kit built-up nicely as well .