Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

9 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Chris @hpiguydid a build-review of the GTI a couple of months ago ---- it's the ESCI kit in AMT clothing . Looks like a nice kit , regardless . 

Last time I saw one of the AMT Rabbit kits was in 1984 . It was at the J.C. Penny's on sale for 75 cents , which was a screaming deal , even 36 years ago . That kit built-up nicely as well .

Yea, I really like them even with the vague underhood parts placement.

IMG 0816

IMG 1367

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Chris @hpiguydid a build-review of the GTI a couple of months ago ---- it's the ESCI kit in AMT clothing . Looks like a nice kit , regardless . 

Last time I saw one of the AMT Rabbit kits was in 1984 . It was at the J.C. Penny's on sale for 75 cents , which was a screaming deal , even 36 years ago . That kit built-up nicely as well .

Correct, they sent me an original boxing to build for the show and so that VW could see the completed kit and give approvals.  
And R2 says right in their latest video that it's an ESCI kit.  :)

When I first got back to the hobby some 30 years ago, the original AMT version was available cheap at shows so I had a few.  

Don Banes used a body for a painting demo at the old Jersey Shore Model Car Club. He passed it off to me and I used it for a demo on opening doors. Someone got excited about building it with working doors so I have it to them. I don’t remember who that was and have wondered if he ever did that project. 

Back then I had looked at this kit with thoughts of building a Dodge Omni 4 door.

• 1 month later...

Ooooh!  Looky there!  They bumped the Nova wagon up. May be here this month!  Gotta raid the piggy bank and cash in the aluminum can stash.

And the Jimmy!  Yahtzee.

And who's gonna be able to resist that ultra-rare 1965 Monte Carlo die cast??? 

??

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

And I think I am going to grab one of those Petty 1/16 cars!

I wish they had done a different decal sheet for the Petty car. Do a set no one has done and sell more than a exact reissue. The MPC last Petty kit they did would have been a good version......the 1/25 kit

PETTY74CHARGER.jpg

On 10/5/2020 at 9:30 PM, niteowl7710 said:

1983 Camaro Z/28 0-60 = 8.8

1983 VW Golf GTi 0-60 = 9

Tell me again how boring this car is again...because seems to me dependent on day, time, weather, and driver those 0-60 times are within the margin of error of each other, and one of them has a 1.8L 4 cyl...

What Camaro Z/28 was this?  There were three engines available for '83.  The standard LG4 5.0L, the upgrade option LU5 CFI and (in mid-year '83), the L69 5sp.  The L69 5sp was good for 0-60 in 7.2 secs.  That's 1.6 seconds quicker to 60 than the Rabbit 4 banger.

2020_12_02_18.17.39.jpeg

Edited by the other Mike S.

20 minutes ago, iBorg said:

The Petty was out not that long ago. Guess they're trying to cash out before the Salvino's comes out. Beyond that, I'll be saving my money for the Atlantis kits.

Maybe the previous release sold out quickly? Maybe Round2's Petty Enterprises licensing is soon to expire, too? Maybe...

It should be all set up to run from the last time, same box art, same decals...easy money for Round2.

51 minutes ago, iBorg said:

The Petty was out not that long ago. Guess they're trying to cash out before the Salvino's comes out. Beyond that, I'll be saving my money for the Atlantis kits.

Salvino won't be doing one in 1/16 scale...

14 hours ago, slusher said:

Lots of choice this time! Have to get some cash together to get the Nova wagon...

In case people missed this...:

"There will be another version Nova Wagon kit that will include an engine and other items like the original 3n1 release that's about a year out.   I do not have the full details of that version yet but it's being based on the original release.  Both of these are are being packaged as nostalgic items, not modern tooling."

The first Round 2 issue of the Petty Charger was planned to include the body molded in clear.  Apparently that is no longer possible due to alterations made to the body tooling long ago (which were reversed for the reissue).  

On 12/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, Casey said:

In case people missed this...:

"There will be another version Nova Wagon kit that will include an engine and other items like the original 3n1 release that's about a year out.   I do not have the full details of that version yet but it's being based on the original release.  Both of these are are being packaged as nostalgic items, not modern tooling."

Thank you Casey...

On 12/2/2020 at 9:38 PM, iBorg said:

Musta be some demand for it.....R2 don't run it unless they got sales.

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

The first Round 2 issue of the Petty Charger was planned to include the body molded in clear.  Apparently that is no longer possible due to alterations made to the body tooling long ago (which were reversed for the reissue).  

I was told the clear plastic is no longer viable for a clear body that big......spread it over the chassis and it cracks.  It may be the plastic needed to make it work is to costly today.