Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

On that Vega chrome tree, it looks like there's a blower set up, as well as some of the stock 4 cyl engine parts. Maybe some of the other "Street Funny" and stock parts will be there, too? I might have to do me a Street Funny... 

On 6/5/2020 at 6:28 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

That Duesenberg in the die cast section has been on my want listing for the longest time.  Too bad there isn't a kit version.

Do you want 1/18?  The Danbury mint 1/24 diecast sells reasonably cheap on Ebay all the time.   I had a case of those Ertls when they were released in the early 2000s and I owned a hobby shop.  Horrible sellers in my place.  

1 hour ago, keyser said:

There's a build, a Vega 4 in a PS chassis :D

I've never had this kit, is it based on stock chassis? Or modded other than room for slicks? I can see tubs, but more to a PS.

The chassis is similar to stock except for the lack of molded-in exhaust detail and the narrow rear axle.  The MPC pro stock kits really didn't pay much attention to chassis detail (some had molded-in exhaust detail).  Chassis is best described as "it holds the rest of the car up".  To be fair though, reference material is tough to find, as those guys really didn't want anyone looking under the car back then.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The chassis is similar to stock except for the lack of molded-in exhaust detail and the narrow rear axle.  The MPC pro stock kits really didn't pay much attention to chassis detail (some had molded-in exhaust detail).  Chassis is best described as "it holds the rest of the car up".  To be fair though, reference material is tough to find, as those guys really didn't want anyone looking under the car back then.

There are 7 very good "under construction" photos of the tube frame and interior of Toy XI (the '74) in the Car Tech book. Nothing on IX or X, though. 

This version of the kit will be way better than the original.  The original issue from 1973 has a STOCK chassis, molded-in exhaust detail and all.  The rear wheel openings on the original were radiused, round, no flare, like an old gasser.  I don't think the Jenkins Competition decal for the quarter panel even fit where it was supposed to go, in the area over the wheel opening.

I'm getting to the point where the chassis won't really matter, as long as the stance is correct.  I have the parts to do a more correct Toy IX (which had stock front suspension when first built), maybe I'll get to that at some point.  For now though, I'd like to have one just sitting in the display case, and nobody will ever see underneath (maybe not even under the hood).

On 6/5/2020 at 9:30 PM, Dave Van said:

I think Tim Boyd has been asking for the Toyota.....EDIT  Tim has talked about the 80's Toyota.....Who's Supra is that??? was it in the FnF line too??

Dave....I highly regard the original MPC Toyota Supra annual kit from 1982/83 - a picture of the kit is at the link in Carl's post above.  One of MPC's best annual kits ever, IMHO.  

Here's a picture....DSC 0207

.... of my build of the kit....primarily a cleanup of some of the gee-gaws on the original Supra body and some typical early 1980's mods including a California ride/stance....

Here's a link to 16 more pictures of the build for anyone who might be interested.....TIM 

2 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Dave....I highly regard the original MPC Toyota Supra annual kit from 1982/83 - a picture of the kit is at the link in Carl's post above.  One of MPC's best annual kits ever, IMHO.  

Here's a picture....DSC 0207

.... of my build of the kit....primarily a cleanup of some of the gee-gaws on the original Supra body and some typical early 1980's mods including a California ride/stance....

Here's a link to 16 more pictures of the build for anyone who might be interested.....TIM 

I like it too......but owning only one....scared to build it!!!!! Yours is GREAT!

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

So did Popeye. Not interested in building whatever he drove, either. B):lol:

John Wick muscle cars. But do them right. Covers a LOT of ground for memorabilia/movie fans, there isn't much. And muscle car guys. 

Better than Pepsi even :D 

25 minutes ago, keyser said:

John Wick muscle cars. But do them right. Covers a LOT of ground for memorabilia/movie fans, there isn't much. And muscle car guys. 

Better than Pepsi even :D 

I haven't seen any of the John Wick movies, although I'd like to. (I understand the star has done a lot of SERIOUS firearms training with SERIOUS trainers and exhibits exemplary handling and skills in the films.) 

On 6/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, Mark said:

From what 3 understand is this a combination of the 72 vega with the Bruce Larson kit mixed together. The original vega kits had abilities to build stock production cars with stock interior Tubs.