Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

50 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Whenever I look at that box art build, all I can see is a train wreck. Stock firewall, body sitting too high on the frame goofy spotlights, black carburetors... It was a low period for AMT box art. The 56 Ford and the 59 (really a 60) Corvette with its upsidedown headlights were just as bad. 

And don't forget the L60 tires on the front, and the painfully obvious wire front axle. 

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

According to the instruction sheet for AMT 626, there are roadster and chopped coupe bodies along with two separate frames.

That looks like a Round 2 product number.  ALL of their issues of the '25 T (two with the chopped coupe body, two with the stock height coupe, the Fruitwagon, and the Paddy Wagon) contain parts to build two cars.

NO Ertl issue, or any AMT issue from the Seventies, contain two bodies.  Some have both the stock and rod chassis, but all had only one body.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:54 AM, Snake45 said:

Right on! And let's not forget that many of these "old crock" kits can provide much-needed parts for kits that have never been reissued and never will be. For example, I'm working on restoring a '69 El Camino and '71 and '72 Chevelles, and the oft-reissued '69 and '70 Chevelles are great parts mines for this work. 

Hello, Snake, I agree, the possibilities are limitless when bashing the old and the new. It also takes some of the pressure off me feeling like I need to treat an old kit with kid gloves. If I'd gotten an original 77 Pinto, I'd feel compelled to build it box stock, or encase it in Lucite. The reissue allows me to stuff in a 429 and rebuild the entire front clip, and not feel like I've committed sacrilege, ha ha.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tom Geiger said:

The closet that held all my models got infiltrated with termites.  In cleaning that up, my father threw out most of my model stash and collection.  He saved a few...

So like you, when I got back to the hobby in the late 1980s I was pleased to see I could buy a lot of the old kits again...

Hello, Tom. Termites? Oh me oh my, what was that like? Did they eat away at the actual plastic? What a horrible fate for a plastic model to be eaten alive.

Glad your Dad was able to save some, but what is it with parents and throwing away models? My Mom threw away about 100 of my builtups in my teens "cuz reasons" and I was furious over it. Parents, please do NOT throw away your kid's stuff; let 'em go through and make decisions for themselves!

On 2/17/2020 at 9:30 AM, Jantrix said:

Image result for sanford and sons heart attack meme

Ha ha, Jantrix, good one! Yes, I was a big dummy!

iu-22.jpeg.30a3cad997a13cd05d70ab1fc793d75e.jpeg

Long story short... just moved into a new apartment with parquet floors, and the first thing I did was unpack my models and line 'em up along the baseboards. The floor got mopped with Future, and it spattered, splashed, sprayed, and sloshed all over about 90% of them. I was devastated. Chucked em, gave up on the hobby, and got into webcomics, ha ha.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And don't forget the L60 tires on the front, and the painfully obvious wire front axle. 

A bit off topic so my apologies, but did you know that oven cleaner will eat steel? (I did not.) I'm working on an AMT '40 Willys and one of the wheels, which I needed to strip the chrome from, has a metal axle that's really stuck into it; so bad in fact, that I'm afraid I'll break the wheel trying to remove it. Using the axle as a holder of sorts, I spritzed it with some new oven cleaner, then forgot about it. The axle had what looked like brown slime on it, and when I rinsed it off, part of the axle had been eaten away.

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Any body know what is going on with the full bumper 70 Camaro? Modelroundup is now showing it as delayed and I had it and a couple of other kits on order waiting for it to arrive to ship my order.

In the video R2 aired a few weeks ago, they showed a built test shot, and said that they experienced some problems with the retool thus therefore the delay.

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

A bit off topic so my apologies, but did you know that oven cleaner will eat steel? (I did not.) I'm working on an AMT '40 Willys and one of the wheels, which I needed to strip the chrome from, has a metal axle that's really stuck into it; so bad in fact, that I'm afraid I'll break the wheel trying to remove it. Using the axle as a holder of sorts, I spritzed it with some new oven cleaner, then forgot about it. The axle had what looked like brown slime on it, and when I rinsed it off, part of the axle had been eaten away.

I know that lye will eat aluminum (and smell like rotten eggs doing it), and I've recently learned it's not good for diecast metal, but didn't know about steel. Could that just be common rust, accelerated? 

10 hours ago, Stef said:

Hello, Tom. Termites? Oh me oh my, what was that like? Did they eat away at the actual plastic? What a horrible fate for a plastic model to be eaten alive.

Glad your Dad was able to save some, but what is it with parents and throwing away models? My Mom threw away about 100 of my builtups in my teens "cuz reasons" and I was furious over it. Parents, please do NOT throw away your kid's stuff; let 'em go through and make decisions for themselves!

I don't believe they ate the plastic, but they ate the boxes, instruction sheets etc.  That left a brown slime on everything inside the boxes so my father just tossed everything that was infiltrated.  He did save a few kits that were not affected inside,  I have a Porsche 914 kit that they ate part of the box side panel.

20 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I know that lye will eat aluminum (and smell like rotten eggs doing it), and I've recently learned it's not good for diecast metal, but didn't know about steel. Could that just be common rust, accelerated? 

These were brand new axles from the Willys kit, with no rust at all, at least not until now. I'll try to grab a photo, it's sort of amazing, really.

16 hours ago, Mark said:

How do you get two cars with one body?  

15 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

According to the instruction sheet for AMT 626, there are roadster and chopped coupe bodies along with two separate frames.

14 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The one issued in the '60's and 2010 did have two bodies and you could build two complete models with them.

The one issued in '01 only had one body. No coupe body. It could be built two different ways. But, you couldn't build two complete models from it.

After seeing the bottom of the box in the pic in the link Joe had posted and I obviously had missed when I compared the two, I did not realize the stock and roadster versions used the same roadster body, that was my mistake. I normally don't even build hot rods like this, but since it has the multiple options of not only the hot rod but the stock T as well and the stock version does interest me, that is the only reason these kits inhabit my stash. 

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I really, really wish Round 2, Revell or someone, would do a new '70 Challenger R/T. I'd probably buy a case of those.

M2 has a nice line of 1/24 diecast '70 Challengers. It's possible they've done an R/T in your favorite color. 

And then there's the excellent Welly '70 T/A in 1/25, no less. B)

70ChallengerTADC05.jpg.e76b6eb375b9466db3c1009b8caf94cf.jpg

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

M2 has a nice line of 1/24 diecast '70 Challengers. It's possible they've done an R/T in your favorite color. 

And then there's the excellent Welly '70 T/A in 1/25, no less. B)

I owned several Challenger die-casts at one point, but eventually got rid of all of them (I may have hung onto one, but can't verify that right now). Regardless, I'd still like to have a model that I could build myself. Doing the mishmash using the Monogram/Revell and AMT kit, is looking more and more not doable, at least not if I want it done right. As far as I recall, this was three T/As and two R/Ts.

03jroj.jpg

On 2/24/2020 at 2:24 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Boy, I wish I was near your trash can back then, I'd have been in heaven!

Hello Oldcarfan27, you and me both. Let's get into the DeLorean, and get back to our future.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:45 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I don't believe they ate the plastic, but they ate the boxes, instruction sheets etc.  That left a brown slime on everything inside the boxes so my father just tossed everything that was infiltrated.  He did save a few kits that were not affected inside,  I have a Porsche 914 kit that they ate part of the box side panel.

Hello Tom, I salute your Dad for saving your 914. Get into the DeLorean with me and Oldcarfan27; we gotta get back in time, to save your kits from termite slime.

34 minutes ago, gasman said:

what is this?

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1200 1/25 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible $35.95 TBA

But , what about all of the flash ? The "poor engineering" ? The Abbott & Costello Blood Pressure Monitor ? The horrors !

I'd rather pay $10,000 for an original issue that may or may not be in time-capsule condition ?

43 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

and this one 

MPC PLASTIC MODEL KITS MPC-915 1/8 Schwinn Continental 10-Speed Bicycle $32.95 TBA

If it's this kit, and it sure looks like it is, I'm in for one for sure. (I swapped an almost complete kit here on the site a couple of years ago).

GWVAxL.jpg