Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018-2020 Dodge Challenger and Charger

For those who have close connections to the model manufactures I have a great question.  With the popularity of the recent Dodge Challengers such as the Hellcat, Demon, Challenger T/A and 392 Shaker cars why hasn't the kit manufactures capitalized on the success Dodge is having with the Challenger and the Charger.  I am sure they would be more popular instead of the constant re-runs that keep doing. 

53 minutes ago, johnwitzke said:

For those who have close connections to the model manufactures I have a great question.  With the popularity of the recent Dodge Challengers such as the Hellcat, Demon, Challenger T/A and 392 Shaker cars why hasn't the kit manufactures capitalized on the success Dodge is having with the Challenger and the Charger.  I am sure they would be more popular instead of the constant re-runs that keep doing. 

There are several modern subjects I can think of off the top of my head that the manufacturers could have success releasing, but it’s easier for them to just rerelease older kits it seems.

Licensing, licensing, licensing.

FCA are apparently one of the most expensive out there when it comes to obtaining the rights to the design.

I think that's the main reason we've seen multiple versions of modern Camaros and Mustangs, but only multiple repops of the 09 Challenger SRT.

41 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Licensing, licensing, licensing.

FCA are apparently one of the most expensive out there when it comes to obtaining the rights to the design.

I think that's the main reason we've seen multiple versions of modern Camaros and Mustangs, but only multiple repops of the 09 Challenger SRT.

FCA also holds the license to Hudson, as well as all the Mopars Moebius made/is making.  Plus Salvinos JR will be introducing a line of Mopar NASCAR kits in 2020.  In actuality they're no more expensive than any of the other Big 3.

The reason is the '09 Challenger (and '10 Camaro) sold like the proverbial gastric issue in church, to the point those were solo tooling uses which is a financial disaster, and once you sales flop American manufacturers never forget.  They're still blaming the trifecta of oversaturation of 1997 F-150s as the reason modern trucks won't sell.  Tuner kits are flops - but not because they're the wrong scale, were late to the party, and some were shared diecast tooling.  Exotics won't sell because Monogram lost that heap of money with those kits that came with a computer driving video game and cost 10x the cost of a normal kit.

Just think how long AMT & Revell kept reissuing their '57 Chevys before they both eventually broke down and made new ones.  Same thing with '32 Fords, and Model A Hot Rods.

Edited by niteowl7710

3 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

I'd love to have a late model Charger, but it's only available in diecast. I might break down and buy one anyway--I want to convert one to a 2-door, THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. 

I would also love to see either of the Challenger or Chargers in kit form, I still have a few of the '09 kits in my stash for future builds. My reasons are very much personal having owned a '10 Charger RT with AWD that was traded for a new '18 Charger GT with AWD a little over a year ago. They both share a very aggressive look that I think would make them attractive to build even if you had never even driven one. The Hemi engine could be easily swapped to other kits . Builders of Law Enforcement vehicles would have a field day with the Charger. As a personal note, after 97k miles on the '10 Charger RT and over a year of driving the much less powerful V6 and 8 speed auto. '18 Charger GT  you can understand why so many in Law Enforcement like them for their handling and braking alone.    

I would love a kit of a newer Charger. I absolutely hated the pre-facelift version, though it has grown on me a bit in the years since. But I really like the look of the facelifted Charger. Especially the taillights- those look so cool at night. And I see lots of them in Michigan State Police trim, so there's that.