Model Cars Magazine Forum
Oldmopars

Italeri/AMT 378 Pete versions?

So, I know that this kit has been issued several times and most recently under the AMT name. 
The first issue was of a light blue 378 box art. No. 746. It then had a slight update, but retained the same number. 
It was then reissued as No. 3857 and the box shows a Pete 379 with high top sleeper. 
It also had a reissue as a day cab. 
Now it is out again as an AMT, but the same kit. 
So, my question is about the sleeper. The first 2 issues seem to have the flat top sleeper and the next 2 (-daycab) seem to have the high top sleeper. 
Is this correct? I would like to find an issue with the flat top sleeper but I am not sure how to guarantee I get the one with the flat top. Anyone know for sure?

The information seems right to me except for the "New Tool" marking on the AMT version...the tooling is new to AMT but is not new at all as it's exactly the same as the 2010 Italeri Long Hauler issue except for decals and box so it should have been marked "Rebox" instead of "New Tool" and I think the parts are molded by Italeri as I don't believe they would send the tooling to China for molding the Round 2 batch.
The 2010 Italeri issue should be marked "Changed Parts" as the sleeper is changed from the earlier 378 issues , it's marked "Changed ???" and the 1997 issue of the 378 is a new version with new cab, hood and sleeper based on the 377 A/E tooling from 1996 wich then was all new,  Revell AG did a rebox of the 377 A/E wich Scalemates don't seem to know the origins of, and the Long Hauler issues from Italeri and AMT has the same high top sleeper as the 377 without the air foil.
Scalemates is a decent source but you have to be cautious with that site as the information are not allways correct and I have seen several faults there when I have been searching information so I use other sources as well to get as correct information as I can.

Edited by Force

15 hours ago, Force said:

The information seems right to me except for the "New Tool" marking on the AMT version...the tooling is new to AMT but is not new at all as it's exactly the same as the 2010 Italeri Long Hauler issue except for decals and box so it should have been marked "Rebox" instead of "New Tool" and I think the parts are molded by Italeri as I don't believe they would send the tooling to China for molding the Round 2 batch.
The 2010 Italeri issue should be marked "Changed Parts" as the sleeper is changed from the earlier 378 issues , it's marked "Changed ???" and the 1997 issue of the 378 is a new version with new cab, hood and sleeper based on the 377 A/E tooling from 1996 wich then was all new,  Revell AG did a rebox of the 377 A/E wich Scalemates don't seem to know the origins of, and the Long Hauler issues from Italeri and AMT has the same high top sleeper as the 377 without the air foil.
Scalemates is a decent source but you have to be cautious with that site as the information are not allways correct and I have seen several faults there when I have been searching information so I use other sources as well to get as correct information as I can.

That is because Scalemates information is inputted by the users, so only as correct as what the user puts in and if one of them is one that thinks they know it all and they don't, the info becomes wrong for all. I have found some mistakes as well on there, and try to correct them when possible, as it is possible to do that when you do find the incorrect information or also add information or kits that are missing as well. 

As for issue dates, I'm not sure without checking the dates on the couple I have in my stash, but I thought too that there was also a reissue in the same box art as the 2010 issue around the same time as the 2015 issue of the day cab version also that is not showing in the Scalemates timeline. 

Well, thank you all for your input. I had to bite the bullet and pay a little higher price, about $84 total for a No. 746 issue so I could be sure to get the correct sleeper. I could have bought a newer issue, but would have only saved $10-20 and spent hours attempting to covert the sleeper to the low sleeper I needed. I need this truck for the Cannonball Run build that starts on the first of Jan. Many hours of searching and I only found one 746 available. Now there are none. Better be worth it. 

Edited by Oldmopars

3 hours ago, highway said:

That is because Scalemates information is inputted by the users, so only as correct as what the user puts in and if one of them is one that thinks they know it all and they don't, the info becomes wrong for all. I have found some mistakes as well on there, and try to correct them when possible, as it is possible to do that when you do find the incorrect information or also add information or kits that are missing as well. 

As for issue dates, I'm not sure without checking the dates on the couple I have in my stash, but I thought too that there was also a reissue in the same box art as the 2010 issue around the same time as the 2015 issue of the day cab version also that is not showing in the Scalemates timeline. 

I agree on the timeline data. I myself have updated timelines a well as I am able.

8 hours ago, highway said:

5 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I agree on the timeline data. I myself have updated timelines a well as I am able.

I find misstakes, wrong and missing information whenever I am on the Scalemates site and I have thought about doing the same thing, but it's so much that it is a huge task to get everything I see right.
If someone are putting out information on what's supposed to be a database on model kits it better be correct...otherwise it's not reliable and it's better not to, so doing research on the subject before putting anything out there is crucial.

Edited by Force