Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cant edit my posts?!

JUNK-MAN

So im tryimg to update my post in the trading post but it will not let me as in there is no option to. It used to be a button right by the quote option but now its gone. Ive tried closing out and reloading the forum several times as well as restarting my phone and logging in and out several times. I also tried on my laptop and got more or the same. Is anyone else havimg this problem? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The ability to edit posts is now on a time limit. IIRC, about two days, maybe less?

You will either have to update with a new post in the existing thread or start a new thread entirely.

You can have threads deleted by being logged in and clicking the "Report Post" button. These go to the Moderators who can delete the entire post/thread. I've had them delete posts of mine that were trade/want ads after I've found what I was looking for. I put "Please delete, Item found, traded " etc in the reason for the reported post.

7 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Funny how you can't edit even a recent post, but you can revive a 10 year old thread with a comment.

Nothing funny about it, that is how it is supposed to work. You can also add comments to your recent threads. Imagine how mad folks would be if someone went back and deleted all of their, very useful, content because they got mad and wanted to disrupt the forum. Folks would be complaining that we didn't have a reasonable time limit on editing posts.

Admittedly, it does change how some members post to their WIP threads and to the Trading Post, but most have gotten used to the changes.

14 hours ago, Xingu said:

Imagine how mad folks would be if someone went back and deleted all of their, very useful, content because they got mad and wanted to disrupt the forum. Folks would be complaining that we didn't have a reasonable time limit on editing posts.

Really?  Isn't that what backup/restore of the forum would be for?  As you can tell, I'm not a fan of this limit. Plus in the thread I linked to the reason for the limit is to prevent hacking. Unless you consider deleting post "hacking"?

Dave found a security risk when researching what to do about limiting posts. The original problem was a (former) member making hateful posts about other members. He would edit early posts and then go back and delete the hateful messages before moderators had a chance to see them. We have had at least two members get mad and threaten to delete all of their content.

Backing up and restoring is neither a simple or quick process for this site. Dave has been working on ways to make it easier though.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see it mentioned here or in the other "Edit Feature - Now Time Limited?" thread, unless I missed it -- is there zero easy way for us to fix busted old photo links from photo uploading sites (Photobucket, TinyPic, etc) that are being uncooperative these days? I use MCM's own photo uploading system now, but for my oldest WIP or Under Glass threads, I still have all the photos, and it would be way easier to re-upload the photos into my individual posts, as opposed to copying 'n pasting all the posts' text into a new thread.

17 hours ago, Russell C said:

Didn't see it mentioned here or in the other "Edit Feature - Now Time Limited?" thread, unless I missed it -- is there zero easy way for us to fix busted old photo links from photo uploading sites (Photobucket, TinyPic, etc) that are being uncooperative these days? I use MCM's own photo uploading system now, but for my oldest WIP or Under Glass threads, I still have all the photos, and it would be way easier to re-upload the photos into my individual posts, as opposed to copying 'n pasting all the posts' text into a new thread.

I think I can do something to remedy that. Let me look into it and I'll PM you. 

3 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I think I can do something to remedy that. ...... 

Thanks for the effort to find out! Perhaps there's some provision where an O.P. can contact a moderator for a window of opportunity to upload pre-prepared new photos to specifically fix broken photolinks, before the noneditable feature kicks back in ..... or maybe that's a suggestion you can forward to whoever writes the software for this forum system.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

I think I can do something to remedy that. Let me look into it and I'll PM you. 

That would be great ,  I had just started to replace my lost PB photos in my old threads when the "no edit" feature was established .  It sure would be nice to finish replacing them . 

• 1 month later...

AFAIK, deleting entire posts, regardless of how much time elapsed since it was posted,  has been disabled for quite some time (like years). In the recent past you were able to edit (but not delete) your posts, but that has also changed (as clearly shown in this thread).

But if you don't like what you posted, you can still edit your post and just delete the contents and subject line and replace them both with something like "moderators, please delete".

Edited by peteski

• 9 months later...

While it is not a full week, you can edit your post for some time period. At least a day - might be two.  But I agree that a longer time period would be welcome (my fingers sometimes don't "think" the same way my brain does, and it takes me some time to realize that).

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

While it is not a full week, you can edit your post for some time period. At least a day - might be two.  But I agree that a longer time period would be welcome (my fingers sometimes don't "think" the same way my brain does, and it takes me some time to realize that).

True. I was thinking more in terms of being able to go back and clean up old posts, and replacing dead Photobucket  links with directly uploaded images, etc. Probably not feasible, but doesn't hurt to ask.

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

True. I was thinking more in terms of being able to go back and clean up old posts, and replacing dead Photobucket  links with directly uploaded images, etc. Probably not feasible, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh, I see what you mean - give someone a week to freely edit all of their posts, regardless how old those posts are.  That would be an excellent idea.  I guess we won't know unless we ask.

I would just like to be able to delete pictures Ive uploaded here.

Some are in threads years old. Most others are in trade threads . Some Ive inadvertently uploaded multiple times. either way its makes  it horrible to wade thru to find the one I want.

So much I'll avoid uploading pictures here at all costs anymore

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I would just like to be able to delete pictures Ive uploaded here.

Some are in threads years old. Most others are in trade threads . Some Ive inadvertently uploaded multiple times. either way its makes  it horrible to wade thru to find the one I want.

So much I'll avoid uploading pictures here at all costs anymore

I'm just  the opposite - I welcome the capability of having my photos (in the related threads) reside on the forum site.  That way (when someone references some old thread of mine), the photos will still be there. Some threads are useless without photos.  I hate running into older posts that contain some useful info I searched for, just to have bunch of broken links for photos. Very disappointing.

I can see wanting to delete duplicate photos, but why purge other photos, just because they are in old threads?  Don't you want to leave here them for posterity? :)

• 4 months later...

I really don't care for how new versions of GUIs hide stuff so one has to go on a treasure hunt to find certain functionalities.  What was wrong with having clearly visible "edit" link. Operating Systems are like that too.  Trying to find things in Windows 10 is a huge pain in the butt!

Edited by peteski

• 8 months later...