Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeler's Lola T89 Formula 3000

Thank you, Jim!

The floor pan required a little planning and quite a few steps. First I had to paint it the color of the car, including the flo red on two little tabs that tuck into the nose in the red section. Then it had to be cleared. After clear, I shot the back half with Tamiys Semi Gloss out of the can. I just love that stuff. I prefer an airbrush, but the results with that color from the can are unbeatable. Then I masked off the exhaust outlets on the top and the bottom and shot them with Testors Metalizer, and a little weathering.

I brush-painted the front half interior with Testors Acryl semi gloss. 

PhotoFeb2694720PM-vi.jpg

I laid down a Scale Motorsport Carbon Fiber decal on the back half on the top side (available at ScaleProShop.com :) )I used a second kit to make the patterns for the CF decal. The effect is subtle, but worth the effort. I'm always amazed how well these conform with some Microsol and heat. 
PhotoFeb2571633PM-vi.jpg

Then I cut out some Bare Metal Foil for the heat shielding. I tried some staining on the BMF and the exhaust pipes. It looks a little messy because I was trying different things with the airbrush, which I could get away with because very little of it is actually seen.

PhotoFeb2694654PM-vi.jpg
PhotoFeb2694658PM-vi.jpg

PhotoFeb26100741PM-vi.jpg
PhotoFeb26100748PM-vi.jpg

It wasn't documented earlier, but I cut off the plastic catch tank and replaced it with a piece I made out of aluminum and painted it with clear blue Alclad wich gave it a pretty nice anodized look.

PhotoFeb2931811PM-vi.jpg
PhotoFeb2931816PM-vi.jpg
PhotoFeb2931830PM-vi.jpg
PhotoFeb2931838PM-vi.jpg

All for now... More pics soon!

Edited by Art Laski

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for looking, guys.

Looks like probably September before we get together for the So Cal Open, Seth... ☹️

So my posts now are finally caught up to where the build actually stands. Earlier this month I had a 20-hour build day (and night) before the Valley Con show in Pasadena so I could get this thing to a point where it could be entered. It was presentable, but not totally complete, so now I am fixing some of that late night sloppiness and adding details I didn't have time for, like the throttle cable. But what did get added before the show are the dump tank lines, the kill switch button, some fuel lines, brake lines, mirrors faces, and attachment of the wheels, wing, etc. Still have the side decals to add and re-attachment of the wheels to get them a little straighter. I had a big problem with all four wheels touching the ground before the show, but got that resolved (at 3:00 AM), but not all the wheels were quite as straight as I wanted them. Anyway, here's a few recent shots.

IMG_3529-vi.jpg
IMG_3528-vi.jpg
IMG_35272-vi.jpg
IMG_3525-vi.jpg
IMG_3524-vi.jpg
IMG_3523-vi.jpg
IMG_35302-vi.jpg

On 3/29/2020 at 4:03 PM, Belugawrx said:

Nice work on that Art . Carbon decals add so much

very clean looking build Sir 

Cheers

Thanks, Bruce!

Yes, the decals are really great. I always marvel every time I use them how well they lay down, when at first they seem like they are never going to fit into the contours. But a little micro sol and hair dryer and they just settle right down and look awesome. I have a good stock of them for sale at my store at scaleproshop.com also.

Hi Art......I haven't been on the Forum for awhile ......I am just about ready to get back to building in a few days......but,I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed looking at this build .....you have really shown some outstanding talent on this build......and I even saw it in person at this years 2020 Orange Con in Pasadena ......such a great looking build......very well done......Congrats Buddy......Hope all is well and your being safe .

On 4/2/2020 at 5:04 PM, RiderZ said:

Killer attention to detail.

Nice build 

Thanks, Mar. Much appreciated!

On 4/6/2020 at 4:19 PM, John Teresi said:

Hi Art......I haven't been on the Forum for awhile ......I am just about ready to get back to building in a few days......but,I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed looking at this build .....you have really shown some outstanding talent on this build......and I even saw it in person at this years 2020 Orange Con in Pasadena ......such a great looking build......very well done......Congrats Buddy......Hope all is well and your being safe .

Thanks, man. I've made some improvements and corrections since you've seen it. Still a few things to do, but I didn't want to not show it at Valley Con.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:22 AM, curt raitz said:

Hi Art, just likeJohn I've been trolling the forum again and happily came across this thread...excellent work buddy!

Makes me want to pull that 1/20 Ferrari 126C out of the cupboard.

c'ya

Thanks, Curt. Break it out!

On 4/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, Mooneyzs said:

Art.... the build is gorgeous and you are doing some awesome work on it.  I can't wait to see this one in person. 

Thanks, my friend. Hope you're keeping busy at the bench!

On 4/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, Lee Yoder said:

Very cool build!  Lots of details to steal...uhh...get inspired by??!  Stay safe. 

Later,

Lee

Thanks, Lee! I'd be honored if you stole (got inspired :) ) by any ideas here... lol

• 1 month later...

Some of these builds I've had the pleasure of viewing on this forum are stunning to say the least- this being no exception to the rule! I've been at this for a few years, and there's no way I could ever match something along this line. Absolute kudos to you my friend!

Terrific build you're into there? look forward to the finish!