Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jones Indy Watson Roadster

absmiami

interesting factoid - the photo fr the Ludvigsen 60's Indy car book clearly shows that on this car - the peek of the intake side valve cover has been ground down slightly to clear the engine bonnet hinge

so I'll do the same - which will give the kit engine a bit more clearance

it will seem to be some modeler's deceit - unless you've seen the ludvigsen picture ….

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

the exhaust side gear train cover is sawed off and height reduced per the first photo

so both sides are now about the same height

and I modified the AMT kit water pipe

and added some flanges - evergreen strip drilled and filed -  to dress up the cylinder head

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

the gear case cover has circular plates to inspect or maintain ? the gears driving the camshafts

I had to grind them off of the Etzell casting to change the height of the cover

so then I tapped out some .015 plastic replacement discs - glued them on

- drilled four .0125 holes [not three - but four - on this engine]  and glued in some replacement bolts

- these are fr Scale Hardware - size is .020 - which is probably just slightly over-size - but will look right

then added some bolt detail to the flanges in the cyl head - not enough material on the sides of all of the flanges

- but I managed to get four out of six - that'll do  ….

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

the bolts will just barely be visible with the water pipe in place

the Etzell white metal casting for the Hilborn unit is really good

starting to drill holes for the fuel lines

and will try to open the throttle valve holes to run a throttle body rod and linkage 

and per the Ludvigsen photo - I'll make an intake plenum that this team used

- the Foyt car would have had a different set-up

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Great stuff happening here. As I was around at the end of the Indy "roadster" period, I have a deep love for the cars. Though I've started several models of them, I've held off due to scale and fit problems like you're addressing.

What you're doing here is inspiring, and I'm learning a lot. Thanks.

ok 

24 holes later ….

some more bolts glued into the holes at the  base

and then I'm making some fuel fittings from bent .012 brass rod and a small strip of evergreen

sawed a 45 degree opening  or slot into the end  of the plastic and glued it to the bend on the brass

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

the fuel line is the black Model Factory Hiro line designed for their 1/20 sc kits

it's a little oversized - but close enough

slow going  -  and a lot of oops, that didn't work ...

the fittings are filed to a sort of square shape, added a small nut and coaxed the fuel line on to the end and to the junction box

the fuel fittings will be painted a shade of brass - gonna try a sharpie

have to do something for the linkage for the butterflies  -  not sure what yet

once this is done I'll get to work on the plenum - which is attached to the manifold ….

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

thanks ace - and I too was around at the tail end of the roadster era -

saw my first Indy car race at Trenton in '69 [I think] -

I was rooting for the rear engine cars / revolution - but I was a fan of Jones

- I respected his willingness to jump from the roadsters to the radical turbines …. 

Does anyone within the sound of this internet have current contact info for the two gentlemen that operated American Racing Miniatures ??

As some of you know - they had obtained the Etzell line at one point in time …..

got some brass color onto the fuel line junctions and on to the spark plugs

wanted to use RB Motion's wonderful spark plugs - but I need a secure attachment for the .013 plug wires

so I am sending them into a 0.06 MM alu tube and using a corresponding nut and the RB distributor caps

a little over-sized - but not much - and it will be secure ...

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

here's where I get to break some more of those .0012 drills …..

the Etzell casting for the Joe Hunt magneto is super

I've got some good photos of the mag and am adding some features

- holes, nuts, clips, and screws ...

paint is old fashioned Tamiya gloss red - brushed on ...

thinking about the Joe Hunt decal - clearly visible on all restored or vintage magnetos

- not sure if the Jones car would have had the sticker on its mag

- contemporary photos are not sharp enough to pick this out …  anyone know  ?? 

… did I mention that I have a magneto fetish  ??

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

the back of the engine casting  has moldings on the bell housing that are drilled for support struts

I used .022 nickel silver rod

then I removed that wonderful crank case detail outlined in black - hated to do that

but the 255 engine blocks were modified from the 270 engines - and as the racing years went by  - those intricate crankcase covers were replaced with much simpler - and probably cheaper - covers

will have to do this on the left side of the crankcase too …..

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

below the fuel block I glued a small piece of plastic with a .012 post to mount a fuel injection arm

using some modified linkage arms from my old sets of S & S photo-etch

always liked this stuff - its at least 25 yrs old … but I'm running out of my favorite parts ...

then some .031 banjo RB Motion  parts and .06 MM alu tube - see Randy Ditton - to complete the supplemental linkage running to the fuel block 

so how does the throttle linkage reach the fuel inject unit ?

not sure - I think it runs from the throttle pedal directly up the bulkhead to a crank at the end of the rod …..

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

there are only a few photos of the engine intake plenum used by the Willard Battery team

and the car was restored w/out it - so  there is some guess work on the size and shape

the white parts are Evergreen shapes and tubes - liquid glued -the ram tubes are .093 and just in place for measurements - to be glued later

the intake "horn" is made fr renshape - shaped by random toothed files and bars and sanding sticks

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

Outstanding work! I love old Indy roadsters as well as mid 60`s full bodied fuel dragsters! The most beautiful race cars on the planet in my opinion. I`m afraid my old eyes would cease to function after working on on such an intricate project. Now if someone were to do a 1/12th scale version of that car............

thank you Nitro:

As was done on the right side of the crank case - I had to remove the wonderful finned crank case side plate because the 255's - or most of them -  used simpler, less elegant plates.  Hated to do it ….

the AMT kit actually has the correct engine plate and breather on the chrome tree - but it is too short to use with Etzel's correctly dimensioned block ….

In place of the fins - removed with a diamond coated rotary sander  and an exacto blade -

is a plate and breather made from Evergreen strips and bars - liquid glued together, filed and sanded

- 4 pieces .  to be painted or finished in a dark metal shade - maybe gun metal or darker - not sure

this will be surrounded by bolts to be added after I paint the block ...

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg