Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 63 fury... preserve or modify?

19 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I see it had that rare yellow exhaust system!

thats the first thing that caught my eye lol ?

13 minutes ago, Khils said:

It's yours....bought & paid........Id say......do what pleases you!!

thanks

13 minutes ago, afx said:

I love seeing these old kits built especially when they are kit-bashed with upgraded chassis and engine.  

so do i.. I've been back and forth with it. this is a few ideas i have if i decide to kit bash. i know the color me gone would be a phantom type build but i still like the car.

d70cdfe96648db8d361c716fd0e77c5f.jpg

2453f29ca365aaec6a0426a03089faf3.jpg

1963-plymouth-sport-fury-max-wedge-1.jpg

1962-1963-Plymouth-Savoy-Belvedere-Max-Wedge-413-1.jpg

When I see an old original that is either very well done for the era or has a certain charm, I’m all about preserving it as a survivor.  Your car wasn’t terribly significant and you had already soaked it anyway. The Johan bodies were very well done, but short comings were the typical limited detail on chassis and engine bay of the era as well as the one piece interior tub only fit for very short drivers. You are better off combining the best of both worlds.. classic Johan body and modern Moebius ( or Lindberg Dodge) innards. 

31 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When I see an old original that is either very well done for the era or has a certain charm, I’m all about preserving it as a survivor.  Your car wasn’t terribly significant and you had already soaked it anyway. The Johan bodies were very well done, but short comings were the typical limited detail on chassis and engine bay of the era as well as the one piece interior tub only fit for very short drivers. You are better off combining the best of both worlds.. classic Johan body and modern Moebius ( or Lindberg Dodge) innards. 

i am leaning that way

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I know exactly what I'd do. I'd polish out that lovely green, then detail it with BMF and/or Silver Sharpie and put it on the shelf. 

i have considered that but i really enjoy building vintage drag cars so im kinda leaning that way.

19 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

At the very least, if you do decide to bash it, save the interior if it's original issue.

The later issues had an incorrect interior for a '63.

Steve

its still soaking in the super clean but here's a few interior pictures

20191225_185708.jpg

20191225_185718.jpg

20191225_185738.jpg

20191225_185744.jpg

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

i have considered that but i really enjoy building vintage drag cars so im kinda leaning that way.

You could actually do both--build a vintage drag car with an updated chassis and interior and still have the body in the polished green, maybe with decals on it. B)

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

its still soaking in the super clean but here's a few interior pictures

That is the correct 1963 Plymouth interior.

Later versions included an interior tub from another Johan Mopar.

Don't remember which one, but the first give away is the center arm rest.

The later versions had a split bench front seat with no arm rest.

Likewise, the upholstery pattern is all wrong.

Steve

3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That is the correct 1963 Plymouth interior.

Later versions included an interior tub from another Johan Mopar.

Don't remember which one, but the first give away is the center arm rest.

The later versions had a split bench front seat with no arm rest.

Likewise, the upholstery pattern is all wrong.

Steve

thanks for the info. I'm gonna use it in the build.

9 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

thanks for the info. I'm gonna use it in the build.

I agree with those who suggest doing what ever you want with it. The only thing I might add is to consider using it to cast a few Resin versions for future projects. These cars were very dominant in drag Racing at the time and building the Melrose Missile and others sounds great. This would also give you the option of a street car also.  Please post pictures of what ever you do with this. 

In my opinion these kits were meant to be built. Personally, if I buy some model kit, it's going to be built whatever way I choose no matter how rare or expensive it is, after all, I'm a model builder, not a collector. With that said, I'd like to see that one built as an old Super Stock car like you were planning. It would be even better with the more detailed drivetrain and engine bay. So I'd say Go for it!:P

I actually have the same kit, but mine is complete and unstarted. I haven't started on it yet, but when I do, it's going to be built also as an old Super Stock car with a better engine bay and chassis from some other kit (probably the Lindberg '64 Dodge, as I've bought a few of them as chassis donors).

25 minutes ago, W-409 said:

In my opinion these kits were meant to be built. Personally, if I buy some model kit, it's going to be built whatever way I choose no matter how rare or expensive it is, after all, I'm a model builder, not a collector. With that said, I'd like to see that one built as an old Super Stock car like you were planning. It would be even better with the more detailed drivetrain and engine bay. So I'd say Go for it!:P

I actually have the same kit, but mine is complete and unstarted. I haven't started on it yet, but when I do, it's going to be built also as an old Super Stock car with a better engine bay and chassis from some other kit (probably the Lindberg '64 Dodge, as I've bought a few of them as chassis donors).

i have a color me gone s/s im gonna use for a donor.

20 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Bash it!

I think the first Color Me Gone car was a '63 Plymouth as shown, so I'm not sure it would be considered a "Phantom". It would be a unique build, as I don't think I have ever seen a '63 Built up as Color Me Gone car.

i will have to research that and see what i can find.

8 minutes ago, W-409 said:

Bill is correct, didn't remember this one myself even though I spent pretty much time looking for different options for mine when I bought it.

Color_20Me_20Gone_20-_63_20Plymouth_20Sa

i just found that picture also, i never knew he ran a 63 Plymouth. i noticed its a post top and the golden commando is a hardtop so i might have to build the commando.