Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turbo Regal!

Chuck Most

Some of you are going to be really disappointed. I'm not building a Grand National. I'm not building a GNX. I'm building... a GM10 Regal. Yep. The one that initially came only with a 2.8 V6, automatic, split bench seat, and a sound system that only played Wayne Newton and gospel music. And those b-pillar door handles that looked so cool and broke so easily. Yes, eventually the GM10 platform got it's poop in a group and became halfway decent. Eventually you could even get a Regal with a supercharged 3.8 V6.

I'm starting with one of those 1:24 scale promos. These things are cheap as dirt and for some reason I've accumulated about five of them over the years. They're all molded in a horrendous burgundy plastic that will bleed through eight coats of sealer and a skim of concrete, and most of them look like they were assembled by a blindfolded spider monkey. I did not take a before pic, but this one was filled with cobwebs and coated in a decent layer of dust and nicotine when I got it. I think I paid about five bucks for it... and I balked even then.

IMG_9476.JPG.ce652526d71925f0eef3d33787c6c2f9.JPG

The idea is that Buick continued the turbocharged Regal idea after the G-Body was canned with an abbreviated 1988 season. While the 3.8 was a mighty machine with a spinny-boy attached to it, a 2.8 could use a turbo just to compete with a healthy four-cylinder. Given GM's thing for turbocharging in the late '80's and early '90's, though, who knows? Maybe it could have been.... competent. Worst case scenario, they could cook up a Regal that at least looked the part.

First, all of the trim and badging was removed. GM's penchant for parts-binning things gave me some ideas for what to add. The GNX fender vents would make a comeback, and there had to be a bulged hood scoop. This one was cut from an '83 Hurst Olds and grafted into the Buick bonnet. We'll say it's a plastic hood. Or... as GM would insist... it's a composite hood. An old Fujimi accessories set coughed up a couple of fog lights. All of the chrome was stripped, and the bumper guards were removed. I also opened up the vent in the bumper, even though it will be mostly unseen. 

The wheels came from a Monogram GNX, but the tires are from an Aoshima kit. Possibly an Infiniti Q45. They're just a touch shorter than the Goodyears in the GNX kit. 

There is more to come with the exterior touches but this is where we stand as of now.

IMG_9480.JPG.d24539a4c3795139c76c687f82539bcc.JPG

The promo includes a split bench, which is open in the back and mounts via two thick posts. The posts were ground down. In the spirit of GM parts bin logic, I used a center console from an MPC Cavalier tub. The Cavalier's seats were also test fit but I don't know if I"ll keep them yet or not. The GNX steering wheel was also used.

IMG_9481.JPG.197b40e5d1fd2e356c173fc041dbd724.JPG

Somehow this hallucination seemed to beg for a manual transmission. The molded brake pedal was ground away, and a clutch/brake pedal assembly was pirated from a NASCAR kit. I think the pistol grip shifter came from another Fujimi accessories set. Here you can see where the mounting posts for the stock seat used to be, and my less-than-pretty grafting of the center console. 

IMG_9486.JPG.4a0e9477f3e452f346616b37d458ac4f.JPG

As the car began to take shape, I started to think that to compensate for the performance deficit of this compared to it's predecessor, Buick would probably try to offset that by giving the car more awesome '80's tech. That means a head-up display. The Regal's sisters Cutlass Supreme and Grand Prix offered this feature, but as far as I can tell, the Regal never did. Not even on the supercharged GS from the '90's. So I added one here. I basically made a rectangular appendage that I hope will at least resemble a HUD unit once it's blended in and painted.

That's it for now. I'm hoping this will be a quick project, so... maybe five years from now you'll see it in Under Glass. 

This is a cool project Chuck! Maybe think about adding fender flares and a rear spoiler? You could pirate the flares and probably the spoiler too from a Gran Prix. More work, but bulging the fenders and quarters would look cool too. Kinda like a wide body.

• 7 months later...

Finally dug this out of the dumpster and did a little work.

After losing the AMT style metal axle, the front wheels were unsecured and a tad flappy. To cure this,I drilled into the fenderwells and used section of plastic rod to form makeshift struts. One the glue cured these were cut flush and assaulted with a coarse sanding stick.20200802_214003.thumb.jpg.4cb77a848ca14650d22d6cd9c77d4166.jpg

As for the interior I opted to keep the Cavalier seats, despite the insert pattern mismatch between these and the existing Regal rear seat. Hopefully the dark colors will obscure that. Still a little detail paint, touch up, and a wash required but you get the idea.20200802_214037.thumb.jpg.f694ab91a795e8251011a3e8efcb0fd4.jpg

On 12/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, Plowboy said:

This is a cool project Chuck! Maybe think about adding fender flares and a rear spoiler? You could pirate the flares and probably the spoiler too from a Gran Prix. More work, but bulging the fenders and quarters would look cool too. Kinda like a wide body.

Definitely a (Grand Prix) spoiler. I don't have the GP flares but I'm weighing my options. I'd like to have rounded wheel openings. I just think they'd flow better with the overall design.

I may go without flares but we'll see. The car does need a front end job as of now. ?

20200803_210529.thumb.jpg.b96301e91dbf4ac7d1a82b6e958f5d98.jpg

The wheels were treated to a thin coating of Testors Blazing Black, a wash of thinned Tamiya flat black, and finished off with Molotow pens.

20200803_211501.thumb.jpg.586989b83cc14d9d0bb92840ff26f2a9.jpg

And here it is with the bumpers and hood more or less roughed in. I'm starting to like the look without flares, but the wheel fit still needs a bit of fine tuning.

Like what you have done with this so far. You mentioned the wheel and tire offset or wheel flairs. You might want to narrow the front track just a little to bring the edge of the tires just inside of the front fender opening, sort of match the rear setup.  Having owned a Grand Prix GTP at one time I liked the Heads Up Display.