Model Cars Magazine Forum

What semi would you like in a kit?

Hi all, I've kind of had these ideas for a while. I think they'd be great to add to the AMT truck line up. My first is a Brockway U360 with a 12v71 under the hood, And peterbilt 351 or 358 with a Caterpillar 1693TA, and last would be AMT's White freightliner cabover with the Ultra rare optional Allis Chalmers "Big Al" power plant. What do you guys think? What trucks/power plants would you like to see? I wish the Round 2 Crew could pull this off.

The model makers really missed the boat when they never made the Peterbilt 379 or Kenworth W900L, and now that's those are becoming dinosaurs on the road we'll never see them. That said, the only way to sustain the hobby and make an attempt at getting new people interested in building is to come out with kits of newer trucks that people actually see on the road.

My choice would be a Mack Granite,  or any of the newer freightliner trucks. Likelyhood we'll never see the Cat/  Pro Star even though it would be a simple change 

Any modern trailer would be welcome, Keystone is making several awesome trailer's possible , so guess I'd want a new flatbed 

7 hours ago, Mike77 said:

The model makers really missed the boat when they never made the Peterbilt 379 or Kenworth W900L, and now that's those are becoming dinosaurs on the road we'll never see them. That said, the only way to sustain the hobby and make an attempt at getting new people interested in building is to come out with kits of newer trucks that people actually see on the road.

I couldn't agree more.

Freightliner Cascadia is one, Mack Anthem, Western Star 5700 XE, Kenworth T660, 680, 700 and W900 ( don't like the W990), Peterbilt 389 and 579, Volvo VNL 760, 860 are others I would buy if they were available.
And there are of course some Aussie trucks I would like to see as model kits, the current Mack Titan, Kenworth K200 and T909 are some examples.

Edited by Force

7 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

My choice would be a Mack Granite,  or any of the newer freightliner trucks. Likelyhood we'll never see the Cat/  Pro Star even though it would be a simple change 

Any modern trailer would be welcome, Keystone is making several awesome trailer's possible , so guess I'd want a new flatbed 

Moebius is doing a new flat bed. Someone did a cat transkit for the prostar in Australia.

Ben

Totally agree with everyone. I'm very thankful the crew at Round 2 saved our beloved classic American rigs for younger generations to enjoy, but I do wish somebody out there would start getting the blueprints for some of these new rigs. Like as suggested above the w900L, w990, 388 0r 389, T2000 would be neat, T800 and 880. Maybe some day...

16 hours ago, plastic trucker said:

I don't care what new truck kit would be produced as long as it's something different, motor and trans included.

7 hours ago, Force said:

I couldn't agree more.

Freightliner Cascadia is one, Mack Anthem, Western Star 5700 XE, Kenworth T660, 680, 700 and W900 ( don't like the W990), Peterbilt 389 and 579, Volvo VNL 760, 860 are others I would buy if they were available.
And there are of course some Aussie trucks I would like to see as model kits, the current Mack Titan, Kenworth K200 and T909 are some examples.

Totally agree with everyone. I'm very thankful the crew at Round 2 saved our beloved classic American rigs for younger generations to enjoy, but I do wish somebody out there would start getting the blueprints for some of these new rigs. Like as suggested above the w900L, w990, 388 0r 389, T2000 would be neat, T800 and 880. Maybe some day...

15 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

A granite would be awesome! I'd like to see a CH mack too.

Sadly model building in general is not a popular hobby with the younger generations like it was when AMT and Ertl were cranking new kits like clockwork. Unfortunately there just isn't enough interest in it anymore for a return on investment that model companies would have to make. So the odds of new kits aren't very good. All the traditional hobbies like model building, model trains,rc aircraft slot cars etc are now playing to a limited audience these days. Brick and mortar LHS'S are dropping like flies everywhere not just because of internet competition but because of lack of interest in traditional hobbies. My LHS is closing tomorrow forever after 58 years and 2 generations so we have to be thankful for Round 2 and cottage business like resin and 3 d printing because in these changing times that's all we got. All the suggestions for new kits are great but not likely to happen. Thanks to Moebius for an effort to produce new kits but that was a limited success.

Edited by lapazleo

Personally, I'd love to see more newer trucks. 

I know there's a place for the traditional Kenworths and PEterbilts. I've built a bunch, I have a ton in the stash, and I still enjoy building them. But let's see some new subject matter.

Mack Anthem

1562784775_mack01.jpg.efc2911971da293eb552b000e708eba5.jpg

Freightliner Cascadia

cascadia.jpg.9cab22f92a243b7d03e9fcdcc83ed181.jpg

Personally, I would LOVE a Mercedes Zetros 6X6 kit. Forget that puny sissy Unimog!

2100047178_zetros01.jpg.ebac4f20b75f463a124634d58a6c6bcf.jpg

962636284_zetros02.jpeg.de2198963ce06ec4a0f85dbc1b30999e.jpeg

My choices would a Mack B model, White COE and a GMC cracker box as retro trucks. To have these done as models with details not included in cast replicas.

In my specialty of models would be a generic fire cab ala TCM ( truck cab manufactures) fire cab with no name blank body shell and various add- ons to make manufactures plated cabs.

greg

IMO,  forget the younger generation as being the focus on what to build,  most are not going to spend there free time assembling and painting plastic parts anyway. I  very much doubt if there behind the avalanche of reissues  from  the old AMT kits,  its because of the older builders who still have the passion for the hobby.  The success of the  Moebius '65-'72 Ford pickups should tell us something. Continue this trend Moebius, nail the  shortcomings and voids from the Big Plastic companies of the past and this time focus on some heavies as well. I have no interest in building modern aerodynamic fiberglass motels on wheels as seen on todays highways.  Most of us who started building model trucks in the 70's will continue to buy and build model trucks if we get some new never done before classics. Here are a few suggestions.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

If Italeri would make some of the new American trucks, I would buy everything they make. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics, but our only hope is Italeri and Mobius. Round2 is not making anything "New" all they are doing is cleaning up old molds and re-poping old kits. I don't see anything "New" coming from them anytime soon if ever. I am not complaining about the old stuff, it is great to have that stuff back out there. I have enjoyed building stuff I could otherwise never get or afford due to collector prices. 

I would love to see the modern stuff made also. However, I would really like to see them made in a way that allowed for day cabs and work trucks. I would love to see more dump trucks, snow plows, fuel tankers, delivery's, etc. 

All these things would be great but like I say there is just not enough of us for it to be financially feasable for a mass produced kit. As far as the Moebius Ford f series being successful they appeal to a much broader market than large commercial trucks do. So are best bet is still resin and 3d from the small cottage companies.

8 hours ago, lapazleo said:

All these things would be great but like I say there is just not enough of us for it to be financially feasable for a mass produced kit. As far as the Moebius Ford f series being successful they appeal to a much broader market than large commercial trucks do. So are best bet is still resin and 3d from the small cottage companies.

Italeri keeps producing and pumping out commercial truck kits all the time and has never stopped since they started with their truck kits in the 80's...so the truck kit market can't be dead, unfortunately they don't do so much of American trucks right now but they still do truck kits and even a new tool kit now and then.
The Volvo FH4 is one of the latest that came about a year ago wich is all new tooling and they wouldn't pour money into developing a new kit if they thought the market wasn't there would they.
And the aftermarket industry seems to be doing quite well too with new products coming all the time.
So Except for Moebius and Italeri we wouldn't have any newer truck kits at all as the other kit manufacturers doesn't seem to show any interest in the truck kit market what so ever other than repopping kits from old tooling...and these kits seem to sell quite well otherwise they wouldn't keep popping out several of these 30-50 year old kits every year...but on the other hand it's nearly all that's available so we don't have much of a choice if we want to build an US truck kit right now.
All I hear is that the Sci-fi market is so good and it seems like some manufacturers focus on that now...but I can't belive the youngsters are more into Sci-fi than other modelling subjects as all they seems to want to do is play computergames and not that interested in doing things with their hands, so I think that's more of an adult hobby too like the automotive, air, ship and military model building is, so if you do a subject the modelers want it will most likely sell, it's mostly a matter of finding out what that subject would be.

Edited by Force

I personally think Force nailed it , the builders are out there. The manufacturers just have to figure out what they want to make it financially feasible as a kit. 

I've sent emails to several,  and they've actually all returned them with the " we appreciate your info and have our team looking at options ."