Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monkeemobile...FULL detail!

Dann Tier

Sorry Dann , for the dumb question, but I wasn't paying attention! I just got home from work and was going to ask you not to bother answering as I reread  your post and got the answer myself. Thanks for answering anyway. Looking forward to seeing this one complete.

In the video, the front end looks much more "pinched " in the frontal view, as if the grille inserts need to be sectioned a bit. Any info on how Barris did this? I seem to recall reading that the grilles were stock, but they look tapered and sectioned to me. Any way, I love watching your builds, and this one is no different for that!

Another point; does anyone make correct gold foil decals for the doors?  The real ones are much cooler than AMT's "interpretations".

18 hours ago, bisc63 said:

In the video, the front end looks much more "pinched " in the frontal view, as if the grille inserts need to be sectioned a bit. Any info on how Barris did this? I seem to recall reading that the grilles were stock, but they look tapered and sectioned to me. Any way, I love watching your builds, and this one is no different for that!

Another point; does anyone make correct gold foil decals for the doors?  The real ones are much cooler than AMT's "interpretations".

Barris couldn't tell you because he didn't build it.  Dean Jeffries built the Monkeemobile. Sorry , just couldn't let that one slide.

• Like 1

The MMobile(s) originally had a Dean Jeffries Custom crest on the front fenders, which was replicated by MPC on the original issues of the kit. These disappeared from the reissues as some point. When I restored my original a couple years ago, I tried to make some foil copies of those emblems, but wasn't particularly successful. 

MonkeemobileA39.jpg.1155726ec5ed19c4358409d2a2d1a853.jpg

On 1/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Nazz said:

Sorry Dann , for the dumb question, but I wasn't paying attention! I just got home from work and was going to ask you not to bother answering as I reread  your post and got the answer myself. Thanks for answering anyway. Looking forward to seeing this one complete.

Its all cool, bud!

On 1/22/2020 at 9:48 PM, bisc63 said:

Thanks, Rusty!, glad you enjoy my builds! I heard that about the grills too, but i'm not sure Kit-wise, the Revell grill, and this MPC grill doesnt match, but they are kits. It was actually Dean Jefferys that built the Monkeemobile. About those reflective decals...i believe there were some that looked like the real ones, but i didnt follow that up, since i like the version without them.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The MMobile(s) originally had a Dean Jeffries Custom crest on the front fenders, which was replicated by MPC on the original issues of the kit. These disappeared from the reissues as some point. When I restored my original a couple years ago, I tried to make some foil copies of those emblems, but wasn't particularly successful. 

MonkeemobileA39.jpg.1155726ec5ed19c4358409d2a2d1a853.jpg

Still looks pretty decent, and we all know what its suppose to be....nice touch!!!

• 3 weeks later...