Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Hello Everyone!
This is my first time on this forum (in fact on any forum) and I want to share with you my latest project. First, I want to introduce myself with some significative episodes of my builder experience. I’m not new in the hobby but I think it’s time for me to jump in the parade since fantastic and inspiring projects (and people) are present on this forum. Like some of the older model car builders I came back to the hobby after several years of absence. I spent my youth building plastic model cars but I left (as many of us) for more important thing like a full time job and less important like weekend partys with friends. The spark came back roughly 10 to 12 years ago when I attend a model car show in Montreal Canada. On the table was displayed a couple of incredibly detailled drag racing cars built by a good fellow named Del Paone (RIP). I was too shy to talk to the guy but I made some search on the internet after the show and found that many detail parts (like photo-etch and nice decals) were available for the hobbyist. In the following year I started the build of my first detailed model, the legendary Pro Stock 72 ‘Cuda Mowtown Missile. It took first place at every show I attended (Quebec and Montreal area) and the desire to do always better has never left me since. Few weeks later, I saw an article in the Scale Car Magazine featuring Sir Augie Hiscano (RIP) using a Sherline Lathe and I knew right away that’s was the thing that I always wanted to do. I bought a new lathe and started making simple parts like aluminum pulleys and perfectly round plastic parts. Couple of years later I bought a Sherline milling column and started making more complexe parts.
My last completed project was a 70 Plymouth GTX (1/25 scale using a promo JoHan body) and extensive scratch built plastic parts, aluminum and brass parts including an all aluminum 426 Hemi engine, aluminum rear end, aluminum mag wheels and functional drive shaft to list a few. I spent around 2000 hours on a 3 years span on this build (I’m a very slow builder and doesn’t build much during summer time). I will try to share some pics later but I lost some of the construction photos after a computer crash (during an OS update). I now take more precautions with frequent backup on USB key. I’m a Mopar guy but I do love all American cars from early ’60 to mid ’70 no matter the brand, It was a fantastic era with large variety of nice body lines and engines.
My current build is a 1964 Dodge D100 Sweptline Pickup Pro Street. It’s a kind of « what if » project since I never seen one on a race track. I know that this model is loved or hated but for me it’s just a cool truck that bring good memories of my childhood (my uncle had one as a farm truck). This model has never been made in plastic but a cast resin version was available from some caster including Modelhaus. I bought a copy a few years ago before they closed their doors for retirement. I was pretty exited when I got it but I soon realize that the limitations of resin reproduction was not for me. I do love thin walls (more in scale…) and I understand that’s not easy or doable with resin cast. So I decided to make my own version starting with a donor body shell. I bought on eBay a used 1962 Ford F150 unibody (just the body without hood) as starting point. I will start the thread with the body creation and I will add more picture showing the mechanical construction in progress. All the drivetrain will be aluminum and/or brass (hand wheel machining no CNC whatsoever) but some elements will be determined during the construction. I wanted to make it twin turbo but I think that the space under the hood will be too limited since I want to keep the cab as close as possible to the real thing (I spent a lot of time making all nook and cranny as close as possible to the original cab).
I must say that I was very inspired by the work done by masters including Tim Boyd, Clay Kemp, Bill Davis (Vintagedragfan) and more recently by the incredible skills of Tim Hoagland (Codi).
Please be lenient for my english since I’m from Province of Quebec (french tongue) along with my full time job so I will try to answer ASAP to everyone interested by the project. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have to move forward in this project!

The donor truck 62 Ford CustomCab Unibody1_Donor_F150_62.JPG.28287f682fbec82cc64820ebdac0cee0.JPG

I cut the box right behind the cab to make the wall for the D1002_Donor_F150_62.JPG.1cc7b87e833967efa1cc5aea78932a7e.JPG

Add styrene to the corner of the cab and window frame since the D100 is totally different3_Corner_Cab_Patch.JPG.dc17a86b94e0a26d5082c445bd21bda8.JPG

I cut the roof at the top of windshield pillars and sliced the top to move it forward4_Top_Cab_Cut.JPG.1092908a5454f432173497f9d2a20649.JPG

I glued a 0.125’’ strip to extend the top and connect both pieces together. I also glued a 0.020’’ thick strip to create the gutter5_Top_Cab_Patch.JPG.5212aff6356dcfef84e8d6005a552b1d.JPG

I glued a 0.125’’ tube to fill the gap and to create the reverse radius for the fenders6_Front_Fender_Patch.JPG.8ca258c4f1e426d8983facefd680ff27.JPG

The wheel opening was relocated and I glued some styrene strips in order to recreate the original shape7_Cab_Whell_Opening_Patch.JPG.e413a54bb774cc95c75dc77ccc9a59be.JPG

machined the cowl vent opening in a 0.010’’ brass sheet8_Brass_Cowl_Machining.JPG.f923950ba5efce6b6e344d825f7148cc.JPG

I test fit the brass sheet on the new plastic piece for the cowl. I was forced to do that in order to modify the bottom corner of the windshield (the Ford have radius but the D100 are square corner)9_Brass_Cowl_Test_Fit.JPG.1a6bf63c541172bb6a13dfd9aefbd184.JPG

I drawn the front grille on a 0.125’’ plastic sheet and machined the contour using my milling10_Front_Grille_Machining.JPG.4a779abb32a355509294a57e3af2c526.JPG

After several hours of filing and sanding I finally got the almost final piece. The grille has mounting tabs like the real one for proper installation on the radiator frame. I also reserved the center opening for the D100 ornament (to be made later)11_Front_Grille_Final.JPG.178ebabb91fab2ec7fbe9b6238ece785.JPG

I made the front facia form 0.015’’ styrene strip and 0.250’’ rod for the front lights and 0.125’’ for the flasher bezel11b_Front_Grille_Facia.JPG.1158c4b7e97e0ed56b21b4cc1ef7d5c0.JPG

Windshield frame done and front fenders 90% done I moved forward by cutting the doors open. I also extended the gutter on the side windows12_Doors_Cut.JPG.b2aa9d7ec522056094af9d499d5d9854.JPG

With the windshield done I used a piece of paper to trace the inside contour in order to make the dash. The rough piece is on the lathe in order to engrave the speaker using a 0.010’’ end mill13_Speaker_Dach_Milling.JPG.cf6da21a608bf7cc3101ff7f237e7401.JPG

The cab is on the milling in order to engrave the top valance shape. You can also see some of the jamb, step and the anchors for the gas tank behind the seats (I made the detail but the fuel cell will be located in the box)14_Interior_Top_Milling.JPG.227ac8d3fab04728ba928e927612c44f.JPG

Same operation but different angle of view15_Interior_Top_Milling_2.JPG.2cebbe4ed024e01fd9f9bc8f4015d271.JPG

Final dash with instrument bezel. Aluminum cluster bezel and instrument will be made later16_Dash_Scratch_Final.JPG.c930cac162b64a0dc502eeb116831ac6.JPG

Dash with bezel in position but not glued yet16b_Dash_Final_1.JPG.b2a4ec8ab4d8e4632e2534e1d884874f.JPG

Top view of the dash showing the speaker grille, heater vent openings and ash tray16c_Dash_Final_Top_View.JPG.f5ade869df4d186d74279b9bdc58d031.JPG

Interior door panel made from 0.020’’ styrene. Detail engraved with a panel scriber and bottom stripes made with 0.010’’ strips. I put a piece of plastic in the middle of the door as a support since the door panel is slightly curved and not flat17_Door_Interior_Step.JPG.c828017e47bbdaaca5697e0cf3b44111.JPG

Some job done on the door frame and step (emboss on step are made using 0.040’’ half round strips)18_Jamb_Step.JPG.759f754d1997040cefa264daf7a71722.JPG

You can see the curve on the inside door panel and the side window frame. Side window glass are glued in place and were made from 0.005’’ clear styrene19_Door_Interior_Window_Frame.JPG.6059b3f58d6f431306341a917dc9bc88.JPG

Back window extension and top surround molding (sorry for the blurry picture)20_Back_Window_Extension.JPG.9a065938f8b18df636eb2da082aa6ed0.JPG

Back window in place, you can also see some of the shapes made on the back of the cab (will be hidden at the end but made it for the sake)21_Back_Cab.JPG.1d7d5adb786ac38511d6a50fa8278479.JPG

11c_Front_Facia_Final.JPG

Welcome to our plastic playground! The work you have shown is outstanding and truly the work of a craftsman. The details you are building into this kit and showing us how you did it are incredible, likely beyond the talent some of us have!

I will be watching this closely, love the subject!

Good morning all!

I'm very happy to be now present on the forum! I have started this project few months ago so I will upload many new picture soon since the main body is pretty much done (maybe 85%).

I will also upload pictures of the machining done on some mechanical parts made and in progress.

Stay tuned, Francis

Sorry, forgot to answer you guys...

Dan, Wayne, Mike and mikemodeler: Thank for the compliment, I really appreciate!

Robert: I did start with the Ford since I needed a canvas and both trucks are from the same era and are pretty much indentical in proportion. I consider myself as a good builder but I still need something as a starting point (but good question anyway!).

Francis

This is fantastic too see, I'm a great lover of Sweptlines and I have so far managed to get my hands on a few resin kits (including one from Modelhaus) but have not built one yet. I got two 1:1 trucks now, both 65 pie-plates with 318 Poly engines and I see that you are getting the details correct. Will be following this thread for more updates. Keep up the good work:)

My 65 D100:

IMG_0701_resize-vi.jpg

and my 65 (registered as a 67 here) W200 firetruck:

IMG_20190325_171552-vi.jpg

Really nice work so far! These Dodge Pickups are not very common so I really like seeing one on the workbench. Fantastic fabrication so far with the body and dashboard. Especially that grill is spectacular. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hello again to all!

Gaute: Nice Sweptline! My uncle's one was the same color and I loved it so much. Stay tuned you will see how far i tried to reproduce the smallest body detail.

Ray, Larry: Thanks for the compliment!

Niko: I'll try to not dissapoint you...

Edgar: Thanks for watching! I do have several highly detailled models (all Mopar) but I'm a builder but not a good phothographer! I will try to upload some later maybe within another thread.

Thanks, Francis

Good morning all!

I'm updating the thread with some new pictures for the New Year's eve. As I problbly indicated earlier the body is probably 85% done but I don't want to flood the thread with 50 pictures at the same time so much more to come on the beginning of 2020.

Using various thickness of styrene I recreate the radiator support. The holes on reinforcement are where the front facia will be bolted

22_Radiator_Frame_1.JPG.3a2426f5c36ebbdf124b17055996d603.JPG

Same piece seen from the inside (engine bay). I glued a 0.010’’ styrene strip around the edge to simulate the mounting strip (weld).

23_Radiator_Frame_2.JPG.2367e87f769db7d5690dab7c92fb3fbc.JPG

These are the cab supports. They will be glued under the door jamb and bolted to the main frame brackets24_Cab_Support.JPG.b5875c193d3bf43cbdc32452302cca93.JPG

View of the firewall25_Firewall_Detail.JPG.cce143f76ce55fbe7495e800b364a298.JPG

View of the vent dock. You can see the recess for the brass cowl vent piece made previously. The windshield is already glued in place so a piece of thin cardboard is roughy taped to avoid scratches.26_Cowl_Dock.JPG.a80ecf322118fa2a085f029ffbbdc4c6.JPG

Hello and Happy New Year!

Claude: Unfotunately I don't have acces to a real one (they are prety rare truck specially here in Quebec area) so I dig on the internet searching for references. So far I found some pictures on different restauration sites and online auction sites where separate parts are pictured. I started with the donor FORD body and the proportions are pretty close to the D100.

Andy: I know what you mean... If you follow the thread you will see pictures comming in different orders since I do have to adjust things based on the build progress. Thanks for watching and for the kind words!

Francis

Hello all and a happy and a prosperous year 2020!

Tom, Jason, Daniel: Thanks for the encouragements and kinds words, more pictures to come...

I will be back to work (the real one...) this evening on night shift so I'm uploading some pictures of the floor pan. It is not installed yet since I still have some work to do on the interior of the cab. I want the floor in place with all preps done prior to painting to make the cab like a real one (will certainly be annoying at the end but I work like that all the time).

Picture of the floor pan in progress on the milling table engraving the reinforcement embossing with a 0.031'' end mill bit27_Floor_Construction_1.JPG.1a57ac4fb1559ae2b81bac271e0dff39.JPG

Floor pan completed (made with 0.030'' styrene) including the transmission tunnel as per the stock cab (I may have to modify depending on the transmission choosen TBD)28_Floor_Tunnel_Trans.JPG.a72b0d4f99ac9faf672ebce5ca2f9953.JPG

Same piece seen from under side. I glued 0.010’’ strips opposite to the engraving to simulate the reinforcement embossing29_Floor_Tunnel_Trans_Under.JPG.a854e5e934b393eea53c755449e21531.JPG

Hi Francis......first I want to say thanks for the kind compliment you paid me.  That's some mighty fine company you've lumped me in with and I appreciate it.    Like everyone else that's commented on your build, it's simply fantastic.  I've learned some things already from your posts and love the way you're documenting it.  GREAT WIP no matter type of model you're building.  Nice machining skills you have there too sir.  Looking forward to any and all of your posts and like others would love to see some of your past builds too.  Cheers, Tim