Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Great work! But I'm curious: what exactly is the gear ratio? Just trying to figure if it's gonna be hard on the gas...

CT

Hello Claude, I am undecided between 4.88 and 5.57 but I will be fixed after the dynamometric tests... LOL

Thanks for your kind comments, Francis

12 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

The wheels look great along with the rear end and all the other parts. 

Thanks for you encouragements Andy, it's very appreciated!

Cheers, Francis

1 hour ago, James2 said:

Very fine workmanship!

Are these Sportsman tires available? I have one set but would like to find more...

I'm don't exactly know where they come from but I do have them I my parts bin for years. I got them with other parts including a cheap 69 Coronet resin body that I purchased from another builder on an eBay auction. They are close in size than the ones comming with the AMT 70 ProStreet Coronet.

Thanks for your good words Rooster!

Cheers, Francis

9 hours ago, James2 said:

Very fine workmanship!

Are these Sportsman tires available? I have one set but would like to find more...

Hi James! 

I allow myself in your conversation with Francis, because I think you might find what you search (sportsman tires) in the Revell Matt & Debbie Hayes 87 TBird Pro-Street. The rear tires are the size of Pro Stock slicks, but are STREET tires. 

Voilà!

CT

22 hours ago, tyrone said:

Man !!!!! that's a big AZZ DIME !!!! LOL !!! all jokes aside.. this is an amazing project you got going.. I can't wait to see whats next !!!

Thanks for your visit Tyrone! Still a long way to go and a lot of updates until the end of this project. I wll try to go as far as possible before the «slow building season» (summer).

Cheers, Francis

Hello All,

I'm just back home of a pleasant weekend of snowshoeing with good friends but it kept me far from the workbench so I will be pretty excited to make more progress on the truck next week.

Today's update is about the hood construction. After dealing (and wasted) too much time on the resin hood I deceided to move forward and make one from scratch. The Modelhaus resin hood was pretty nice on it's own body shell but it didn't fit well on my construction. I tried to slice it in the center to make it fit the front fenders properly but even with that modification done the front portion was way too high and the space between the grille way way too big. I was pretty nervous to get myself into the construction of that part because the D100 hood is very distinctive with a lot of shapes so I found a strategy and followed my instinct. I think it finally turned out pretty well but I let you judge by yourself...

Beginning of the hood construction. Flat section using 0.030’’ styrene sheet and round edges using a 0.500’’  styrene tube cut in quarter sections.60_Hood_Construction_1.JPG.4f83d441a26af37f77e4cf7a8537dbe4.JPG

I engraved the fake air vents using a 0.063’’ ball nose end mill and the 2 grooves with a 0.093’’ standard end mill61_Hood_Construction_2.JPG.8eaae17066bbd0aa77998e924e589efa.JPG

Glued 2 styrene strips on the hood (will be sanded at an angle to merge the flat section)62_Hood_Construction_3.JPG.bb7841b94ac9d6189adff0effc597f95.JPG

Front section of the hood done.63_Hood_Construction_4.JPG.106ff114bd3cd1a093270b0c81c3a80f.JPG

Front hood renforcement made with 0.080’’ x 0.188’’ styrene strip and sanded to fit under the fold. The tiny holes emulate the passages for the nuts holding the DODGE letters like the real hood.64_Hood_Construction_5.JPG.255e96cb5b98525687a2fa0377c427f3.JPG

Back hood reinforcement. Also for the hood hinges brackets.65_Hood_Construction_6.JPG.b36f83aa7ba322f8facd8bf60b44a1b4.JPG

Fake hood vents ornaments made with 0.040’’ quarter round strip.66_Hood_Construction_7.JPG.7e4b55af7d5db15943531ed908e9e6ec.JPG

Hood almost completed, still some sanding and some minor adjustments to be made.67_Hood_Construction_8.JPG.ee2313a1a70ad1dcc551b7580f9b115e.JPG

Hood almost completed, different angle. I'll take care of the DODGE letters later.67b_Hood_Construction_9.JPG.2d288cbbd3343c6a8b25146adc2f36c2.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHPaul said:

Wow!  VERY nicely done!

Question for my own learning:  How did you cut the quarter rounds out of the .500 tubing?  I can see that being a very useful trick.

Hello Paul, Thanks for visiting and your kind comment!

For your question, I placed the styrene tubing in the milling vise and I did use a 0.0625" square end mill. I made a couple of pass but didn't cut edge to edge keeping roughly 0.010" material. I then turn 180 degrees and did the same kind of cut. The third cut was done by turning the tubing by 90 degrees from the 2nd cut and finally another turn of 180 degrees from the 3rd cut. I end up with 4 grooves at 90 degrees from each other. I did finish by cutting from edge to edge with my xacto and got 4 parts. Hope it's clear enough but I agree that's a lot of operation to get these perfectly straight pieces.

Cheers, Francis

2 hours ago, PHPaul said:

Thank You, Francis.  I'll have to try that.  I'll need to mount my vise on the mill and get it squared up.

Paul, keep in mind that the tubbing will become weaker after each cut so put just enough pressure on the vise jaws to secure the part. You could also slip a brass or aluminum rod inside the styrene tubbing if you have one in hand that fit perfectly. Keep me posted on your results!

Cheers, Francis

14 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Paul, keep in mind that the tubbing will become weaker after each cut so put just enough pressure on the vise jaws to secure the part. You could also slip a brass or aluminum rod inside the styrene tubbing if you have one in hand that fit perfectly. Keep me posted on your results!

Cheers, Francis

Yes, I wondered about the rigidity.  Don't have a need for it right now, but I do keep a stock of brass tubing on hand.  When I get around to trying it, I'll post up the results here.  Assuming, of course, that it isn't a complete disaster..."8^0

12 hours ago, blackbeard said:

Looking fantastic great craftsmanship 

Henry: Thanks for visiting and your positive comment on my build.

Cheers, Francis

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I am so envious of you guys who can build a body from scratch. This thing is fantastic! Hell, I can't even see half the stuff that others see wrong with kit bodies, until somebody specifically points it out, much less could I build a proper body. Excellent work!

Daniel: Thanks for your kind and encouraging words. I usually make a lot of scratch modifications on my kits because I'm often unhappy with some parts of a given model but it's my first time ever to attempt building everything from scratch. This will be a long process and I will still have to adjust things during the progress but I'm pretty proud of the build so far. It's very motivating to get your support and I really appreciate it. Stay tuned for more update!

Cheers, Francis

Hi Francis!

A great designer once said that upon modifying a classic, one has to show restraint... so that onlookers will KNOW something has been modified... but can't say WHAT...

It would be the measure of success. 

Well, this scratch-build body will be so "credible", that many won't be able to see all the marvels it features. And THAT, my friend, is the signature of a Maestro. 

Keep on. I can.t wait to see the thing in "the flesh"... or should we say "in the styrene". 

CT

PS: The RAM show is coming... Hope we can drive there again this year with a few friends like we did last year. We need to organize this!

Just incredible, takes some serious skill to make scratch built panels and parts like this !

that bonnet looks so much better than a model or resin supplied one, I mean you drilled  the holes for the DODGE letters ? ?

Just an insane build, a pleasure to follow along , thanks for a great thread Francis !

1 hour ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Just incredible, takes some serious skill to make scratch built panels and parts like this !

that bonnet looks so much better than a model or resin supplied one, I mean you drilled  the holes for the DODGE letters ? ?

Just an insane build, a pleasure to follow along , thanks for a great thread Francis !

I couldn't have said that ANY better.