Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

11 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

A great designer once said that upon modifying a classic, one has to show restraint... so that onlookers will KNOW something has been modified... but can't say WHAT...

It would be the measure of success. 

Well, this scratch-build body will be so "credible", that many won't be able to see all the marvels it features. And THAT, my friend, is the signature of a Maestro. 

Keep on. I can.t wait to see the thing in "the flesh"... or should we say "in the styrene". 

CT

PS: The RAM show is coming... Hope we can drive there again this year with a few friends like we did last year. We need to organize this!

Hi Claude! Always a pleasure to get your comments and you always find a way to surprize me with your comparaisons, it's the proof of a very cultivated person (your reputation precedes you)!

This thing won't be ready for the RAM and I still don't know when it will be finished but I will certainly be ready to go to the show with you if it's possible.

Thanks again for your kind comments, Francis

9 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I'm very much into this build....... What color were you thinking of painting it once all this awesome scratch building is done?

Hello TJ, Thanks for your kind words! I not sure about the color but I think that a dark color might be nice? Fell free to make your suggestion, I'm open minded!

Cheers, Francis

9 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Just incredible, takes some serious skill to make scratch built panels and parts like this !

that bonnet looks so much better than a model or resin supplied one, I mean you drilled  the holes for the DODGE letters ? ?

Just an insane build, a pleasure to follow along , thanks for a great thread Francis !

Hello Martin, Thanks for your support, it's very appreciated. I don't know if I will go again that far in scratch building on another project so I'm ready to push it to the max the details... Wait to see the engine, I think you will love it (my best so far)!

Cheers, Francis

Hello Everyone!

Today's update is for the roll cage. I was dealing with the idea to make the bed tilt but after some reflexion I do prefer to keep it bolted to the frame and add a roll cage to stick with the drag racing soul that I want to implant to this build. Some of the details between the back of the cab and the bed will be hidden but it's like that on the real truck anyway and you all know that I've made them.  The section inside the cab that touch the transmission tunnel could need some adjustments. I'm not 100% sure yet but I think that I will machinate a Lenco transmission so the tunnel will probably need a major modification.

After the roll cage for the cab was made I decided it would be cool to add a section in the bed like the NASCAR trucks. The main tubes are made with 0.125’’ styrene rods for a sturdy look.68_RollCage_Tube_1.JPG.77ab4602baacf2dd975e8bf9a46fde4d.JPG

Different angle, I taped a strip of styrene to keep the main tubes straight during the construction.69_RollCage_Tube_2.JPG.e4a23a2053ffacee31ee4f48cd47dd99.JPG

I decided to add a reinforcement plate so I made one with 0.010’’ aluminum sheet. I used 0.125’’ solid brass rod as a guide to rounded the edges in order to make them fit the main tubes. I thought it would be cool to add a MOPAR logo so I drawn one and made an opening with a 0.063’’ drill bit and opened up the logo using a half-round jeweler file.70_RollCage_Mopar_Logo.JPG.b912ff9bcc5a43ba8ac63bd109d98b43.JPG

I did test fit the plate on the roll cage and looks great! I will drill small holes and put some small aluminum bolts on final installation.71_RollCage_Mopar_Logo_Position.JPG.592199601eb01b68d847e35c50f28932.JPG

Completed roll cage including the section inside the cab. I will probably open 2 holes in the back window in order to connect both sections together.71b_RollCage_Final.JPG.b0800e01699a5ee153c260909feee405.JPG

Roll cage in position for test fit.71c_RollCage_Final.JPG.a137ee2ec51126924d9a94190a6636d2.JPG

Roll cage seen from inside the cab.71d_RollCage_Final.JPG.f6a4e97210b194cb11ac164f8e8cf6e7.JPG

View from the back.71e_RollCage_Final.JPG.b08657c953cb0ada7c17787e474e6f51.JPG

On 2/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, Scott8950 said:

Wow!!! The truck is taking shape nicely.

Thanks for the comments Scott but I still a long way to go!

Cheers, Francis

On 2/23/2020 at 8:30 AM, James2 said:

Outstanding progress here. Have you considered a welded on look for the Mopar badge instead of bolted. It looks so clean and refined now.

Thanks for the compliments Rooster! I didn't consider the welded on look because the plate will stay brushed metal or maybe polished (crome finish) and the roll cage will be painted. I will just drill 2 or 3 holes on each side and I will use small bolt heads from RB Motion for the mounting.

Thakns again for your suggestion, Francis

23 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Amazing tutorial in scratch building. The conversion from ford to dodge shows with the right starting point you can replicate what you want.

Thanks Bob! You're right even if not much remain from the Ford body it was a good canvas but I dare say that the devil is in the details... The sacrifice was a tough decision to take since I do love those old Ford truck too!

Cheers, Francis

10 hours ago, Yahshu said:

This is friggin awesome, I think it would look good painted Plum Crazy 

Hello Phil and thanks for your visit! I have seen one painted Plum Crazy on internet and It's pretty nice (FC7 It's one of my favorite Mopar high Impact color). One of the most tough decision will be the color choice for this truck and it will require much second thought (It's not a common subject...). Fortunately I still have quite a few time to think about it before I plug the air brush!

Thanks again for the suggestion and come back soon!

Cheers, Francis

On 2/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello TJ, Thanks for your kind words! I not sure about the color but I think that a dark color might be nice? Fell free to make your suggestion, I'm open minded!

Cheers, Francis

I think that a patina'd look would suit this one! Something like the 'Fast and Loud" pickup....

patinadodge.jpg.251cd729627a522e65d3274cb21ce879.jpg

You'd probably get many different suggestions on color, as we have very diverse tastes on the board.....

9 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Unreal workmanship.  it's amazing what you're doing with such small parts.

Thanks for your good words Jim! I still have many pictures to upload and I will try to do it on a weekly basis until I get to where I am now. If you like small parts then wait to see the engine and all the accessories.

Cheers, Francis

9 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I think that a patina'd look would suit this one! Something like the 'Fast and Loud" pickup....

You'd probably get many different suggestions on color, as we have very diverse tastes on the board.....

Hello TJ, I had thought about it but I never did a patinated finish and I must admit that when it is done well it gives a beautiful look. The base color of the "Fast and Loud" is the same that my uncle was (a good old farm truck) but I think it's not the right color choice for a drag racing machine.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway and come back soon!

Cheers, Francis

7 hours ago, 72 Charger said:

WOW your work is just amazing.  I would like to ask you. Will you be casting the body ?  I think there would a good response to the unusual subject. I also think you could do a nice little side line in MOPAR key fobs!. Great work keep it up . I cant wait for more!

Hello Dave, Thank you so much for your kind words! A fellow member had already indicated to me that he would like to see this truck reproduced in resin but by its construction it would be very difficult if not impossible to make a mold of it. I built it like as close as possible to the real truck and all the panels are curved inward without counting all the nooks that would be bubble traps. I know well that I could make some money but it's not the goal... I consider your suggestion as a compliment and I thank you again for this!

Stay tuned!!!

Cheers, Francis

Hello All,

Moving back to the structural base of this build I decided to try something new to me by making some of the front suspension components from brass. I do have few experience with welding brass parts and those are critical parts and must be as perfect and equal sized as possible to get the front straight. The brass wishbones will be stronger than plastic and the weld will also make them more reliable than aluminum. The glueing points are too small and the superglue might surrender after some time. Again, I might have to make some adjustment during the construction, it's almost inevitable in this kind of build. Besides, it happens in the real world during the construction of a real vehicle ...

Cheers, Francis

Part of the front suspension on the milling. This is a part that will receive the bracket for the upper attachment of the shock.72_Front_Suspension_Mill.JPG.137ca3222c84a098c3e3a4cc72cf80ce.JPG

Part of the suspension installed on the frame (I inserted aluminum anchors for durability).73_Front_Suspension_1.JPG.7c00677a085e7107e71f91522fbe7ee5.JPG

View of both sides.74_Front_Suspension_2.JPG.76625d5b9833a96f5f7d3f863624282d.JPG

Wishbone arms in progress made with brass rods and welded by resistance.75_Brass_Whishbone_1.JPG.62436f6078a18b21faea9f497b996eb7.JPG

Closer view76_Brass_Whishbone_2.JPG.ff628aff2a33714fd85783bca8e1db46.JPG

Upper and lower wishbones with mounting eyelets.77_Brass_Whishbone_3.JPG.d2d34a5b3899b69fcfd4cbae4326db1f.JPG

Same pieces, note the perpendicular tiny tubes are the lower shocks mounts.78_Brass_Whishbone_4.JPG.64348999689bb43f0ad1669265a43858.JPG

• Like 2