Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

12 hours ago, Codi said:

As always Francis I've learned some new things & I like the different techniques/approaches you're using.  As an aside, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY concur with your sentiments in replying to CrazyJim.   He brings up a good suggestion, but one cannot really appreciate what you're doing unless they've tried it themselves.  It certainly is not for everyone and to do what you're doing..............well, it's certainly unique and one of a kind.  You've got some real talents sir.  cheers, tim

Well Tim, I'm most than honored to get compliments and support from a person that is in the main reason why I did jump in this forum!

I am not pretentious for five cents and I learn from the work and good ideas of others like everyone else on this forum. There is always something to learn from others ...

I do not say that to be complacent but you remain for me THE reference (without wanting to hurt anyone) and you push me to always do better! Thanks for being such an inspiration ...

Thanks again, Francis

17 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Wonderful work here Francis, many thanks for this. 

Already, your skills and attention to detail has become quite an incentive for me.  I've changed the front of the Hemi I'm working on and adapted the front plate accordingly.  Looks much better now.

Merci.

Thanks Mike! It's always pleasant to push each of us to do better and keep this hobby alive!  You're an incredible skillful builder and I will keep an eye on your dragster to add strings to my bow!!!

Cheers, Francis

Thanks again GoatGuy!  Glad you liked them and find some inspiration for your build!

I will make the valve covers next and I will try to make them different from the standard HEMI's looking by adding some extra details that I never attempted before... stay tuned for the next update!

Take care, Francis

Thank you for the kind words Francis.  We all take our inspiration from someone.  I'm flattered that you like my work.  Your engine looks great (no surprise) and the heads are super detailed.  cheers, tim

Hello to everyone!

As promised the next update is for the valve covers. I built several Mopar models in the past and some of them where done with a HEMI engine under the hood. I tried to make them different each time but the design was similar with mainly just different finish or paint color. This time, I wanted to make them very different so I tried to reproduce a more modern look, something looking like the ones on recent Pro Stock engines. They are raw aluminum for now but I will anodize them in red and the HEMI letters will be buffed to remain aluminum finish so another update will come later to show you the final result.  As final detail, RB Motion aluminum bolts heads will be inserted in perimeter holes so they will stands out from the red finish. Hope you'll like them...

Take care of you and your relatives,  Francis

Valve covers on the milling at early stage.121_Hemi_ValvesCover_Progress_1.JPG.34488a8158683e20c5a8c696f2c733c3.JPG

Same raw part from different angle.122_Hemi_ValvesCover_Progress_2.JPG.64822d7fede97d3cf288dab6e6dd3f40.JPG

Spark plug holes drilled using a 0.062’’ drill dit.123_Hemi_ValvesCover_Progress_3.JPG.47118e1ab3bf71210dc4eee43518650d.JPG

Front faces details in progress.124_Hemi_ValvesCover_Progress_4.JPG.270c2241d1e02017e61cc9a522a96fca.JPG

HEMI letters engraved using a 0.015’’ end mill (the letters are raised by 0.007’’).125_Hemi_ValvesCover_Progress_5.JPG.e688b59d59e419927001adcc1e43587d.JPG

Holes for mounting bolts are drilled using a 0.016’’ drill bit. Shallow holes (0.020’’) for bolts heads are drilled using a 0.031’’ square end mill.126_Hemi_ValvesCover_Progress_6.JPG.a72e91223e6a61745e80bcc6398276dc.JPG

Valve covers final (hole below the first spark plug is for the oil fill cap that will be done later).127_Hemi_ValvesCover_Final_1.JPG.941130669ca26f3aaee6974c8af7526d.JPG

Valve covers final closer view.128_Hemi_ValvesCover_Final_2.JPG.06db7e6e5db7ce4681339d2a1b51c5c1.JPG

Valve covers test fit on heads/block.129_Hemi_ValvesCover_TestFit_1.JPG.dceaf95ec841584702d9499a39259bdc.JPG

Oh my, superb!

I can easily write now to have enjoyed seeing the preliminary cuts for the valve covers.  But a HUGE smile came across my face while viewing the scripting work.  Sensational, I love it.

Could you offer a source information concerning the nuts and bolts you'll be using for the motor?

I have a wonderful source for all sizes in threaded as well as dummies,  the best I've ever seen, and very affordable as well.  Brass, stainless steel and also blackened.  Just saying for general information.

Excellent work Francis, an absolute treat to view!

Mike..

7 hours ago, wrenchr said:

WOW. B)

Thanks Jason!  Take care, Francis

6 hours ago, Force said:

Nice job.
It looks like you and Codi have a little milling competition here. ;)

Thanks Force (Håkan)!  Maybe it's looks like that but it's not! I just have too much respect of Tim work to be in competition with him and he's more an inspiration than a competitor, I think we appreciate the same kind of detailling!  Take care, Francis

5 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh my, superb!

I can easily write now to have enjoyed seeing the preliminary cuts for the valve covers.  But a HUGE smile came across my face while viewing the scripting work.  Sensational, I love it.

Could you offer a source information concerning the nuts and bolts you'll be using for the motor?

I have a wonderful source for all sizes in threaded as well as dummies,  the best I've ever seen, and very affordable as well.  Brass, stainless steel and also blackened.  Just saying for general information.

Excellent work Francis, an absolute treat to view!

Mike..

Thanks for the kind comments Mike!  I had the same reaction (Huge smile) when I finished the engraving of the HEMI letters!

Talking bolts heads, my main source is RB Motion and he is specialized in aluminum bolts (not threaded). Many sizes are available. Here is the web site: http://www.rbmotion.com/

Another source is Model Motorcars Ltd (formerly Scale Hardware). You can find both threaded or simulated brass or stainless steel bolts and nuts. Web site is: https://www.modelmotorcars.com/scalehardware/

The last source is T2M but I think they are discontinued but you still can find some on auction site like eBay.

I would be very interested if you can share your own source, I'm always curious to check the other products available! 

Take care, Francis

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Valve covers look FANTASTIC!!  Do you draw everything out on the part or is your equipment computerized?

Thahks for the compliment Jim!  Everything is done with traditional handwheels (no CNC or computerized tooling). I started by making a drawing of the valve covers on paper and everything started from there.  I took me several hours to make the letters contour since the end mill was only 0.015''.

Cheers, Francis

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

Impressive work

Thanks again Scott!  The next part will be the intake (Tunnel Ram).  Take care, Francis

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Force (Håkan)!  Maybe it's looks like that but it's not! I just have too much respect of Tim work to be in competition with him and he's more an inspiration than a competitor, I think we appreciate the same kind of detailling!  Take care, Francis

I was just joking. :P
Keep up the good work.

13 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

mspxk4.gif

Thanks for stopping by Joe!  Cheers, Francis

23 minutes ago, 2zwudz said:

Those are awsome!!! ! Where did you get .015 end mills???

Thanks Mark!  I have this end mill in my toolbox for several years and I don't recall where I bought it but you can find these on eBay or Amazon among others.  Cheers, Francis

Hello everyone,

Just another small update on the valve covers. I mentioned that I wanted to anodized them so I gave a shot yesterday afternoon and I must say that I'm pretty happy the way it ended. I was very nervous because it was my first try on final parts and there's no way (at least I don't know any) to reverse the process so it must be successful the first time.  I had planned to sand the HEMI letters but the finish is so hard that I had to return to the milling to bring them back to the aluminum finish.  The color and finish look way better in person but the pics will give you a good idea.   As usual your comments are welcome!

Take care to each of you,  Francis

129b_Hemi_ValvesCover_Anodized_1.JPG.1db54a71e0409a2b668c23ed40ccdc33.JPG129c_Hemi_ValvesCover_Anodized_2.JPG.593772e7d9a61d868e40ea0a31fc8b67.JPG129d_Hemi_ValvesCover_Anodized_3.JPG.fadf45e3c795281b38d37b215da04f07.JPG129e_Hemi_ValvesCover_Anodized_4.JPG.896e4beb7dc722145ad2b186bcf35770.JPG129f_Hemi_ValvesCover_Anodized_5.JPG.413212b1e384c7e3ff255f86239779f6.JPG

Yes!  Very big smile now.

Ahem, anyone can grind some aluminum to a smooth surface.  Adjust the bit accordingly,  turn the machine on and let it go.   Let the machine and bit do the work. 

Just, setting things up has difficulties to be masterfully accomplished.  Experience necessary. Do the same for the other side!  Experience needed.

Thank you for adding a color dimension to this masterpiece.  Sensational expertise visible here.  Wonderful and a joy to view.

Mike..