Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 7/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, John Teresi said:

Francis......you and Tim are just Super Hero’s of the modeling world.....Awesome work on the drive shaft ??

Thank you so much for the kind comments John!  You put me in a team with a h**l of a good machinist and I don't know if I deserve such treatment but I accept it with great humility... especially comming from you sir... I hope to not disappoint in the long run!   Take care, Francis

5 hours ago, Randy D said:

Hello Francis,

What a treat to discover this thread.  You are a true craftsman Sir.   Now I need to check out your other builds:)

Randy

What a nice surprise and honor to get your comments on my build sir!   Your name and your reputation in this hobby are well established and it is an honor to have your visit on my current project.  I have read so much praise for your incredible skills and achievements on Tim's threads and I must say that you are a landmark in this fantastic hobby!

Thanks again and come back anytime,  Take care, Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

As expected, things have been going more slowly lately (as if it could be ...) but I found a little time on the bench during the rare rainy days or when the very hot and humid days were an invitation to take refuge in the basement.  It's one of the hottest summer I've seen so far and it's far from over...

After making the flywheel using a watch gear, I had the idea of making a starter a little more detailed than the ones I used to do.  I had kept the tiny gear that was in contact with the big one, so I had a good idea (please read this as sarcasm) to use it to make the pinion bendix.

By the way, I ordered a bottle of Birchwood Casey Brass Black, so I will possibly try to blacken the flyeheel teeth even if it is already taken in sandwich between the 2 aluminum parts. I do not know this product so if an expert knows that I should not dip aluminum in this product, your advice would be very appreciated...

Here is where I am with this starter, I may try to anodize in black the motor frame in order to add a little color contrast.  Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Take care, Francis

Starter drive end housing in progress.217_Starter_Progress_1.JPG.1e2fa7a7212253f1f4101ba5414c0dbe.JPG

Starter mounting flange in progress.  The bolts pattern match with the bellhousing as well.218_Starter_Progress_2.JPG.62f3d2f46c7aea214f68d1f0c5fafcde.JPG

Starter parts including a brass selenoid.219_Starter_Parts_1.JPG.f5ad3b8ad84f60cfa44b809725674918.JPG

Starter temporaly assembled for test fit purpose.220_Starter_Mock_1.JPG.4a02c82ecefa6c78763bc14b5d2747ae.JPG

The starter Bendix pinion spin and slide freely on the shaft (even if it is useless...?).221_Starter_Bendix.JPG.3b1b2038730d837d0129cd0cf8624ef7.JPG

Ok Francis!! Now I see a lot of kool and kick butt parts! I see there are some crucial things missing from the equation!! 
You seem to be lacking the sockets and ratchets and wrenches etc etc etc along with the most crucial, your torque wrench!! 

22 hours ago, GeeDub said:

That looks great.  Excellent work!

Thanks Glenn!   Take care, Francis

20 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Ok Francis!! Now I see a lot of kool and kick butt parts! I see there are some crucial things missing from the equation!! 
You seem to be lacking the sockets and ratchets and wrenches etc etc etc along with the most crucial, your torque wrench!! 

Thanks for the kind words Kerry!  Please, don't give me the idea of getting involved in the manufacturing of tools at 1/25 scale, I already have enough work to make all these parts... lol.

Take care, Francis

Well done Francis....and imaginative in how you did it.  I'll be curious to see your results with the "brass black"........can always use something like that.  Hope it works well for you.  cheers, tim

18 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Francis you are spankin' this thing all the way bro. aUy48Y.gif

Thanks for your comment Joe!  Take care, Francis

18 hours ago, Codi said:

Well done Francis....and imaginative in how you did it.  I'll be curious to see your results with the "brass black"........can always use something like that.  Hope it works well for you.  cheers, tim

Thanks Tim!  I'm also excited about the potential result of that product.  Maybe it will be a good way to add some color contrast to some parts without having to paint them.  Take care, Francis

14 hours ago, comp1839 said:

flippin' back and forth between you and Tim is becoming a real treat Francis!!  beautiful work!

Thanks Dave, I'm glad if you like it and feel entertained, I also really love to see what Tim is doing!  Take care, Francis

13 hours ago, Randy D said:

WOW  just WOW!!!!!   Love it Francis, beautiful work.

Randy

Thanks Randy!  I'm very honored to get your comments on my build, you're truly a master builder and a big source of inspiration!  Take care, Francis

9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Still killin' it, Francis! Excellent work! Love that little stuff, like the starter drive!

Thanks for the kind words Daniel!  It was fun to find a second life for that small drive gear.  A new territory for me and good experience for my next builds!  Take care, Francis

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:06 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Glenn!   Take care, Francis

Thanks for the kind words Kerry!  Please, don't give me the idea of getting involved in the manufacturing of tools at 1/25 scale, I already have enough work to make all these parts... lol.

Take care, Francis

But? But? But? Ohhhh alright!!! LOL

22 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Absolutely amazing. I think you and codi are having an arms race to see who can push the envelope further.

Thanks for the kind words Bob!  I find a lot of inspiration everywhere on this forum and Tim's work is no exception of course.  This construction always brings me a little further in the details and I don't think I could build differently in the future!  I'll see, it's not over yet...   Take care, Francis

14 hours ago, Bucky said:

This work is so immaculate! I'm looking forward to the day you build the radio, with the tuning knob that moves the dial indicator!

Just a little friendly ribbing, there. But that would be awesome! LoL

Now that's not a bad idea. Dang it Keith....I'll be PM ing you pretty quick. During all of what's going on I forgot about that Barracuda.

18 hours ago, Miss-Mopar said:

MORE MORE I WANT MORE!!!! What a build!!! WOW!!!

Thanks Keven! I'm not done yet with this build so your demand will be fulfilled... but maybe not at the pace you might want... things running slow during summer.  Still some updates to come however.   Take care, Francis

17 hours ago, Bucky said:

This work is so immaculate! I'm looking forward to the day you build the radio, with the tuning knob that moves the dial indicator!

Thanks for the kind words Keith!  Functional radio buttons would be a good idea, but I planned a radio delete plate instead, it's a drag racing machine after all...LOL.  Thank you for stopping by and for commenting, I really appreciate it!   Take care, Francis

Haha....I once knew a fella who had a 1949 Ford Sedan, with a Chevy 350 in it. He drove it every where. He also drag raced that car with the A/C running, and the radio blasting an Oldies station, full of fifties and sixties tunes.

Your work on this mighty MOPAR keeps leaving me speechless, hence the lack of posts on my part! LoL

On 7/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, Bucky said:

Hi!

Don't push him too hard, because, the Francis I know might decide to start scratch-building his own functionnal dome light door jamb switches.... 

CT

On 7/17/2020 at 4:44 PM, Bucky said:

Haha....I once knew a fella who had a 1949 Ford Sedan, with a Chevy 350 in it. He drove it every where. He also drag raced that car with the A/C running, and the radio blasting an Oldies station, full of fifties and sixties tunes.

Your work on this mighty MOPAR keeps leaving me speechless, hence the lack of posts on my part! LoL

Thanks again Keith, your comments mean a lot to me!  I am also a big fan of rock music, but I never raced while listening to music...  I think it's a shame to cover the sound of a good big American V8 because it produces the most beautiful music!  Take care, Francis

On 7/19/2020 at 9:00 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Don't push him too hard, because, the Francis I know might decide to start scratch-building his own functionnal dome light door jamb switches.... 

CT

Thanks for the vote of confidence Claude!  However, I will try to limit the detailing to parts a little bit bigger than my smallest end mills but functional dome light door jamb switches would be cool by the way... LOL.

Can't wait to see you my friend, take care, Francis

• 2 weeks later...