Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 7/29/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sergey said:

Wow! 

This is a MASTERPIECE!!! :blink:

Thanks for the kind comment Sergey!  Different car maker and country but same goal... building model cars with passion and the pleasure to learn and share our vision with each other... priceless!  Thanks for sharing your amazing talent with us, much appreciated!  Take care, Francis

On 7/31/2020 at 6:17 PM, iBorg said:

If you're ever near West Virginia, I'm going to have you come over and use my Sherline to prove it can be done. That starter is very impressive.

No problem Mike!  However, I don't know when the border will open but something sure you will have to set up a camp bed and take some vacation, these parts take me forever to do...

Thanks for the kind comments by the way!  Take care, Francis

9 hours ago, Steve H said:

Wow Francis, what an incredible work of art. I will start following along. 

A level of build quality that VERY few will achieve. Look forward to seeing it complete.

Cheers, Steve (fellow Canadian)

Thanks for your visit and kind words Steve!  This is just a kind of therapy for my endless search for the impossible and illusory perfection!  The time spent on the bench is rarer lately but the interaction with the members of this forum is priceless!

Glad to get feedback from the other end of our big country!  Take care, Francis

Hello everyone,

Three weeks have already passed since my last update, so it's time to post my latest progress and keep the interest you might still have in my current build (sorry for my slow progress guys...)!

I have made headers with soft aluminum craft wire on my previous builds for quite a few time so the basic is the same.   However, I wanted to make more realistic headers collectors and flanges so I decided to fabricate them with brass and put in contribution my resistance solder unit.  I will probably try to nickel plate the brass parts to keep the color more uniform with the aluminum tubes. I do think they are the best ones I've made so far and I hope you'll like them, feel free to send comments or questions if you wish.

Take care of you and stay safe during the pandemic,  Francis

Headers collectors parts in progress made with brass.222_Headers_Progress_1.JPG.e175045bc62aeaeff93adbffd20ff36d.JPG

Headers collectors final223_Headers_Connectors.JPG.03911b911b623aea4925d242d1787a08.JPG

Headers flange in progress, the bolts pattern match the heads224_Headers_Flange_Progress_1.JPG.b7191a8204405f4dea82a778687293ef.JPG

Headers flange final.225_Headers_Flange_Final.JPG.cde5d320421745504e81a4c52a10280e.JPG

Headers final, tubes are 0.080" aluminum craft wire.226_Headers_Final_1.JPG.723afb90c32bdc2514c2093045335b6b.JPG

Headers test fit.227_Headers_Final_Mock_1.JPG.da09cffd4c6975afde8c6a0dd15aca47.JPG

Headers test fit different view.228_Headers_Final_Mock_2.JPG.cbb95f7f42d83eb2dd91f1c0bf9add90.JPG

25 minutes ago, GoatGuy said:

Again Francis, Wow with the work you are accomplishing. The headers are awesome. Do you plan to add any heat stain colors?

Thanks for the compliment Dave!  Yes, but I will try my Caswell plating system first to make the brass looking nickel and heat stain using my airbrush at a later stage of the build.

Take care, Francis

19 hours ago, Nazz said:

Another chapter well written Francis. Amazing work as usual.

Thanks Jerry!  Yes, another chapter of a book that I don't see the end...   Take care, Francis

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

The really incredible builders are the ones who can make a mundane component like a header flange into a little work of art 

Thanks for the kind comment Jim!  I just consider myself a good student who puts into practice what I learn by looking at other people's work, but I don't think I will be able to do fantastic paint jobs like yours sir!   Take care, Francis

19 hours ago, John Pol said:

Wow what can I say this is amazing been watching since the start just don`t comment all the time

Thanks for your visit and kind comment John!   Come back anytime and feel free to leave any comments as you like, they are optional but highly appreciated!  Take care, Francis

19 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Those exhaust flanges are a thing of beauty!!  I don't suppose you took any pictures of the angled brass pieces before assembling them?

17 hours ago, ACR-E Doug said:

i would like to see these also

Thanks for the kind words Brad and Doug!

Sorry guys but I forgot to takes pictures of that operation on the milling.  Basically, I used the rotary table mounted on the angle table at 7.5 degrees and made 2 cuts at 90 degrees from each other.  I wasn't sure how successful the parts were before I soldered them, this was my first time trying this so it was kind of trial and error that ended up pretty well I would say...  It is not intended that I don't take pictures of everything I do but rather to save a little time because all these parts take me a long time to machine and I try to photograph only the essentials (sometimes I forget however...).

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions, I will try to help you as much I can.  Take care, Francis

20 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Thanks for your explanation Francis. Very helpful.

You are welcome Brad!   I'm sure you understand the principle so don't bother with the angle mentioned in my explanation, by putting more angle you will shorten the transition (the funnel effect) and by decreasing it you will lengthen it.  Happy machining, Francis

On 8/9/2020 at 11:20 AM, GeeDub said:

Love those headers!

Thanks for the kind words Glenn!  Take care, Francis

18 hours ago, John Teresi said:

Hi Francis......this is so over the Top.....I really enjoy looking at your amazing work .....very few can do what You do??

Thanks John, I really appreciate your comments sir!  If I could build a little bit faster...  I don't know how you can achieve that level of quality in your build in so little time?  I still have a lot to learn from you sir!!!  Take care, Francis