Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

9 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Hi Francis,

I just stumbled on this thread for the first time and I'm in total awe. Amazing! Keep up the good work!

-Art

Thank you Mr. Laski, it's an honor to get the positive comments of a great builder like you!

I know this type of build is definitely not to everyone's taste but I hope to bring it to the finish line... someday...

The continued support of forum members is like fuel for my engine... Thanks again!

Take care, Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

At the very beginning of this project, I had the idea to make a twin turbo Hemi for this build but I quickly realized that a setup like this needed a lot of space and modifications to be correctly installed.  As I mentioned before, I also wanted to keep the engine bay as OEM as possible and spent a lot of time and effort to achieve this, so I don't want to modify everything to incorporate the turbos.  Based on this I decided to go with a Dominator carburetor and keep the engine with a more traditional look, I love carburetors anyway!

I spent a few hours on the bench so I started machining, the rest will follow in the next few weeks if I can find some free time.  Still work to do around the house and a lot of dead leaves to scrape, I am surrounded by mature trees and fall always keeps me busy.  Hope to be back with more regular updates towards the end of October.

Thank you to all those who follow and comment on my project, take care of yourself and your loved ones during the pandemic, Francis

Holley Dominator top plate

240_Dominator_TopPlate.JPG.2b332c582c9ff2aa7c9ba6d80ffb2813.JPG

Main body in progress.  The top plate was machined first and parted from the main body.238_Dominator_MainBody_Progress_1.JPG.610f2387726a21278af3b9ae61a3cbed.JPG

More progress on the main body and several drill holes done for the components to be made later239_Dominator_MainBody_Progress_2.JPG.5ba7a0e68f7c4291faa4e21cf2e077f0.JPG

On 10/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Marvelous, and I imagine, fragile to whittle down of a chunk of aluminium. Bravo!

Now, how-many CFM will this thing flow at full throttle, really? Just curious...

CT

Thanks Claude!

I will need all of my smallest tooling of course!

This bad boy will need a lot of gas at full throttle so it will need a big carburetor...

I have taken my information and measurements from Holley's website and will attempt to make a 1475 CFM Gen 3 ultra Domonator.

I don't intend to reproduce every nook and cranny but something convincing enough to deserve to be enthroned in the foreground of the engine compartment... I hope to not dissapoint you my friend! ?

Take care, Francis

11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Claude!

I will need all of my smallest tooling of course!

This bad boy will need a lot of gas at full throttle so it will need a big carburetor...

I have taken my information and measurements from Holley's website and will attempt to make a 1475 CFM Gen 3 ultra Domonator.

I don't intend to reproduce every nook and cranny but something convincing enough to deserve to be enthroned in the foreground of the engine compartment... I hope to not dissapoint you my friend! ?

Take care, Francis

Hi Francis!

I'm not surprised that you researched your subject with care. And rest assured, I don't conceive of the words "Francis Laflamme" and "disapointment"  in the same phrase!

CT 

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

I'm not surprised that you researched your subject with care. And rest assured, I don't conceive of the words "Francis Laflamme" and "disapointment"  in the same phrase!

CT 

Thank you for your mark of confidence Claude!  I can easily return the comment to you my friend!

Take care, Francis

7 hours ago, majel said:

That is a beautiful start to a Dominator carb.  Your work and skill level are truly amazing Francis!  I'm happy when I finish and the parts aren't glued to my fingers!   Fantastic job on all of the machining.

Thanks for the kind words Jim!  I still need some practice to achieve the level of craftsmanship of some of the incredible machinists on the forum...

The goal is to find satisfaction in what we do and I am still at this stage fortunately!

Take care, Francis

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Turbos, what turbos? We don't need no stinkin' turbos.   This engine is spectacular in it's own right already.  Nice work Francis!   cheers, tim

Thanks for the comments Tim!   Nothing close to your incredible carburetors here but I will try to improve on what I have made before.  Isn't that the goal to achieve when you like things well done?

By the way, you're right, good old carburetors are hard to beat!!!

Take care, Francis

Oh man! between you and tim,...this is crazy cool stuff! You boys are in your own league and light years ahead in this hobby! Good on ya to inspire us all with pure craftsmanship and dedication. Truly inspiring!

Thanks guys!!

Western Canuck

16 hours ago, Lorne said:

Oh man! between you and tim,...this is crazy cool stuff! You boys are in your own league and light years ahead in this hobby! Good on ya to inspire us all with pure craftsmanship and dedication. Truly inspiring!

Thanks guys!!

Western Canuck

Thanks for the kind comments Lorne!  I really think I still have a lot to learn from the masters here on this forum, but I believe in the principle of "trying to improve every time" and learning from my mistakes.   Believe me your builds are very inspiring too my friend and your current Chevy pickup project is just fantastic.

Take care, Francis

4 hours ago, Randy D said:

Just beautiful work on the carb Francis !!!!!   Always a treat to see what you are up to:)

Randy

Thanks to be so kind Randy!   If I could have half of your talent and skill I could consider myself as an accomplished builder.   Your builds make me think twice... miracle maker!!!

Take care, Francis

Hello everyone,

Just a little update before my work week.  Still a lot of work to be done outside and most of my free time is spent doing this on sunny days.?   I hope I have completed all of these tasks before the end of the month.

So I spent the remaining few hours on the bench working on the next parts for the carburetor.  From a brass rod I started to machine the fuel bowls and added Albion brass tubes at each ends. I also drilled 2 holes at angle to add some Albion brass tubes for the fuel inlets.   All the tubes are welded and the excess was sanded flat.  One down, one to go...

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement, hope to show you more soon!

Take care, Francis

Fuel bowl made from brass in the milling chuck241_Dominator_FuelBowl_Progress_1.JPG.65eeca83f709c518e0046824af480763.JPG

Fuel bowl in progress, small tubes welded in place and excess to be sanded.242_Dominator_FuelBowl_Progress_2.JPG.4103b996669b74d317e5033f53785e6c.JPG

Fuel bowl in progress different view243_Dominator_FuelBowl_Progress_3.JPG.36f5014a4a179b491c1afea9d99f9eeb.JPG

Hi Francis,

I like the update, they're going to really complement the carbs. Have you thought about possibly media blasting the bowls?   You'd get a color & texture (cast) that looks like the fuel pump drive I did on the Bantam.  If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide the media blast air brush and material I've used.  It's not expensive either.

Cheers, Tim

On 10/13/2020 at 9:11 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

This is LITTERALLY the fingerprint of a great builder! Impressive. 

I am raking leaves at my end also. 25 bags, and more to come! Ah, the joy of ownership! 

Keep whittling!

CT

Thanks Claude, always the right play on words, the mark of a very alert person!

The oaks behind the house are still full of leaves, so more fun is in store!!!

Take care, Francis

On 10/15/2020 at 6:35 PM, charlie libby said:

valve covers look awesome francis .looking into anodizing as well. i have some friends that that are doing it.do you use a variable power source?

Thanks Charlie!  Anodizing is just another great feature to make beautiful parts look even more beautiful, but it does require a lot of cleaning and care to avoid any visual blemishes in the end. This can be done with a 2 amp battery charger but I bought a variable power source in order to get the exact amount of current depending on the size of the parts to be anodized.  Please feel free to send me a PM if you need any help or more information on the subject.

Take care, Francis

22 hours ago, Codi said:

Hi Francis,

I like the update, they're going to really complement the carbs. Have you thought about possibly media blasting the bowls?   You'd get a color & texture (cast) that looks like the fuel pump drive I did on the Bantam.  If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide the media blast air brush and material I've used.  It's not expensive either.

Cheers, Tim

Thanks for the comments and kind offer Tim!

Indeed, I had already thought of using this technique but I have never gone further.  My workbench is already full of tools of all kinds and I found that I had to persevere in being satisfied with what I had at my disposal... for now... ?

This carburetor will certainly be better (I hope...) than my last effort for the '70 GTX but certainly no comparaison with the FANTASTIC set you just finished for the Maverick.  I still have crusts to eat to achieve the level of precision you provide with every part you make and you are always an inspiration to push me to make better pieces.

I will certainly contact you for your valuable advice on the subject (media blasting) if I decided to get started!

Take care, Francis