Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

15 hours ago, charlie libby said:

wow! cant wait to start machining the engine for the mustang. i am doing a 429 boss.should be interesting.do you have classes for beginers?

Thanks, Charlie!  Regardless of the brand, there are several ways to machine an aluminum engine block. Tim (Codi) has done an amazing job with his 429 engine block, so you should take a look at the photos from his Maverick thread.  I will be very happy to give you a hand if you need it!

Take care, Francis

21 hours ago, comp1839 said:

francis, your dominator is turning out fantastic. i'm a big carb guy my self. if you need any dimensions let me know as i own a few of these.

Hey Dave, thanks for the comment and kind offer!

I don't have the real thing on hands but I found some basic informations online including the following:

- Holley Dominator 4500 series have 2.000" throttle bore diameter with 0.750" of spacing between them

- Throttle plate bolt pattern is 5.380".

I used these basic measurements as a starting point for the main body so I hope they are accurate... don't hesitate to let me know if I'm wrong!

I don't expect to achieve something as spectacular (and mind-blowing...) as Tim's last effort, but something as compelling as possible and an improvement on the one I did for my '70 GTX.

Thanks for your visit and support, I do appreciate!

Take care, Francis

23 hours ago, streetmachine11 said:

Francis, the amount of skill you have into this build is just amazing. your atention to detail is remarkable. a true craftsman. always look forward to your progress as it inspires me and others to build.

jason

Thanks for the kind comments Jason!   I'm very honored to be able to inspire anyone to keep building and making more detail.  I must admit that I am myself very inspired by the good work being done all over this forum and I am very grateful for that.  More updates to come soon!

Take care, Francis

21 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The work on the carb is stunning. It wuold be amazing in a larger scale but doing it in 1/25TH  is spectacular.

Thanks Bob,  I finished the carburetor yesterday evening so I will post the pics soon, come back and see the final result whenever you want.

Take care, Francis

Hello everyone,

I was on vacation this week to give the last shot on the fall chores but we had a lot of rain (almost every day) so it wasn't very good for outdoor work but more productive than expected on the work bench... I feel a little guilty... but hey, you have to do something with your ten fingers... especially when we have free time and on vacation! ?

I called it finished but decided not to do the accelerator pumps because they would be hardly visible hidden between the underside of the fuel bowls and the top of the intake manifold so I hope you will forgive me for that flaw.  I will see later if I decide to add them but it is not a priority for the moment, to be continued...

I arrive at a total of 70 parts counting all the, components, bolts and structural parts.  As usual, your comments are welcome and very appreciated!

Take care, Francis

Intake plenum spacer (1.000’’ in scale) in progress on the milling rotary table.244_Dominator_Plenum_Progress_1.JPG.743a9db90ad5b74e8d29f1a8dddb92ef.JPG

Intake plenum final245_Dominator_Plenum_Final_1.JPG.cd0c0c2e9b09c73b95f278f569db3627.JPG

Intake plenum final different angle246_Dominator_Plenum_Final_2.JPG.14b1bbeb6f730f401c16216659383857.JPG

Exploded view. Mix of brass and aluminum with red anodized metering block to match with the Hemi valve covers.247_Dominator_Parts_Exploded.JPG.d80e8f22e14e1bf8777cab9c82d7d9e3.JPG

Assembly in progress top view248_Dominator_Assemblage_Prog_1.JPG.0fd6cd79d4f4b226aba8b400c4d74e22.JPG

Assembly in progress bottom view249_Dominator_Assemblage_Prog_2.JPG.fc142b8fb346441bc699746737067c08.JPG

Assembly progress250_Dominator_Assemblage_Prog_3.JPG.d856afd43410672f0400c62a5cc8fb38.JPG

Assembly progress bottom view251_Dominator_Assemblage_Prog_4.JPG.1547e0ef60ed4b4d2b0c8f0b62513986.JPG

Assembly progress side view252_Dominator_Assemblage_Prog_5.JPG.1b3d9a506dd269ea8dbc6e1cd0911407.JPG

Assembly progress253_Dominator_Assemblage_Prog_6.JPG.c243200d5338a6d39fb5dfa0f16e019f.JPG

Assembly final for now...254_Dominator_Final_1.JPG.75722aff6300814a715e7aa3709fabaf.JPG

• Like 1

Francis! Man, I don’t even know what words to use. That carb could be entered in any model show and win... all on its own!!!!! Crazy. I think I recall someone else asking what you did for work, I’m not asking, but my guess is a jeweller. That carb, along with the rest of this build is like jewelry! Simply incredible sir.

Cheers, Steve

13 hours ago, Steve H said:

Francis! Man, I don’t even know what words to use. That carb could be entered in any model show and win... all on its own!!!!! Crazy. I think I recall someone else asking what you did for work, I’m not asking, but my guess is a jeweller. That carb, along with the rest of this build is like jewelry! Simply incredible sir.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the superlatives and the exaggeration Steve!   I'm not a jeweler nor a watchmaker but I love wristwatches.  I know an amazing retired watchmaker and I wish I had half of his talent... I'm going to have to be satisfied with what I have!  This truck is still just a bunch of parts and I hope to put it in my display cabinet before the end of the century... ?

Take care, Francis

16 minutes ago, gasser59 said:

And I suppose the butterflies work too? Jaw-dropping work Francis although I hate to call it work because I know you're having a blast creating this masterpiece.

Thanks for the kind words Brad!   Yes, they do work but they are a little bit on the thick side due to the throttle shaft running through them.   I'm also limited by the size of the drill bit, it's quite difficult (for me ...) to drill holes smaller than 0.016 "in brass.  You're right, I think I have more fun making parts than putting together the truck itself... I'll making more... ?

Take care, Francis

22 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The adage make every piece of a model. Youve done that to the extreme.

Thanks for the kind comment Bob!   My dad always told me that "anything that deserves to be done deserves to be done well" so I apply that to everything I do, at least I try...

Take care, Francis