Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 10/28/2020 at 12:08 AM, Russell C said:

It would be somewhat easy to create a giant dime. I'm lost on how he created really realistic giant 1 foot diameter fingers......

Thanks Russell!  There are no limits of what we can do with Photoshop... For the rest I use Sherline tooling... ?

Take care, Francis

On 10/28/2020 at 6:23 PM, charlie libby said:

back for another look at your magic. i think i may know your pictures and parts better than i know my own. now i have tim to watch also. i cant find enough time to keep up with you guys . i enjoy studying all your pictures. they are alot of fun to study.dont stop

Thanks for the kind comment Charlie!  That's the beauty of this forum, all reunited together at the same place to share and learn from each other.  Your work is no exception my friend!

Take care, Francis

On 10/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

"anything that deserves to be done deserves to be done well" so I apply that to everything I do, at least I try...

Take care, Francis

Done well???  How about done to perfection?  There is “well”, and then there is out of site!

8 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Done well???  How about done to perfection?  There is “well”, and then there is out of site!

Thanks for the good sentiment you expressed about my build Tim!   I have to admit that I put a lot of effort into getting the best possible results but unfortunately perfection is not of this world!  However, I like to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Take care, Francis

Hello everyone,

The carburetor setup is almost done (I still have the bracket for the throttle wire to do) so I moved on to the "ignition department" and made the ignition distributor out of brass and aluminum.  I still have some nice resin pre-drilled distributor caps in my parts bin but I want to make as many parts as possible on my own, so I did the following...  I will probably paint the cap in black or blue so it's like the rest... to be determined later!

Today's is my last push (I hope...) with the fall tasks, it's hot and sunny today so I hope to be back with more frequent updates in the weeks to come.

Take care, Francis

Brass ignition distributor cap progress255_Distrbutor_Cap_1.JPG.efeb40a4c3c8e5a077ab0deb8e142695.JPG

Brass ignition distributor cap final, including 0.7mm Albion brass tube256_Distrbutor_Cap_2.JPG.66e6615fe5d0f55c937c4c312a0d9833.JPG

Brass ignition distributor cap final257_Distrbutor_Cap_3.JPG.9de74b758df80a4bf300030635137949.JPG

Brass ignition distributor cap final258_Distrbutor_Cap_4.JPG.a46d780f1d07c8ac04c84d6b5a967516.JPG

Ignition components with locking clamp259_Distrbutor_Component_1.JPG.2dcb8d3649d5f4a945f4e2c17fa5df75.JPG

Ignition components different view260_Distrbutor_Component_2.JPG.c2e8485b298077936bed6d1b759ef828.JPG

Distributor in place for position only.  Sorry for the blurry picture but I wanted to focus on the locking clamp.261_Distrbutor_Mock_1.JPG.3c8a46ec95473877e14f4af8a7431e55.JPG

Distributor in place for position only different view.  I also machined a valley on top of the intake plenum to simulate the opening inside the intake manifold when the cover will be in place.262_Distrbutor_Mock_2.JPG.0a132e01116a4cc897650f6355485644.JPG

Distributor in place for position only different view. Pre-drilled hole for wiring to be done on final assembly.263_Distrbutor_Mock_3.JPG.cb9fdc077fdce2606309ea81f1ad7057.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Wow, that is fine brass work. 

I look at the whole engine, and wonder... What type of gaskets will you use on that beast: cork or steel with silicone rings? Just curious...

Bravo, keep at it, but don't drop the distributor anchor bolt in the carpet! It would be a catastrophic event!

CT 

Thank for the kind words Claude!

I've dropped quite a few pieces on the floor so far, but luckily I have a large piece of dark linoleum in my workspace, which helps me a lot to find those "temporarily" lost parts...

No plan for the head gaskets (HAHAHA) but I plan to make some adjustments to the triangulation to incorporate something as you suggested to me according in our last discussions so I will keep you posted.  I'm going to have to do some modifications on the rear part of the frame again, this whole build is kind of an experiment anyway but I cannot ignore the valuable advice of an expert!

I'm learning the hard way that the framework is the foundation and you have to be ready to make adjustments when you don't have a specific plan.  Fortunately it is styrene and it can be modified quite easily, "fun with styrene" as you say so well!

Take care, Francis

Outstanding as always Francis

Beginner’s machining/fabricating question - is it possible to make a part such as the ‘body’ of that distributor cap, with the eight outer holes equally spaced around it, with a lathe?  

I’ve got to assume there’s some easy-ish trick to making a part like that and getting the spacing and angles perfect on the holes, but I can’t quite visualize how it’s done with my almost-zero machining experience...and I’m not sure what that trick is called to be able to Google it and learn more ?

Thanks for your kind word Jim!

I never took the time to evaluate this option since I have a milling machine and a rotary table which are the usual tools for this kind of work.  With a lathe, you will have to put the drill bit in the chuck and find a way to index the body in the tailstock... not easy!   The rotary table is the way to go based on my limited experience but maybe and very experienced machinist could answer your question better than me?   Feel free to send me a PM if you need my help.

Take care Francis

3 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for your kind word Jim!

I never took the time to evaluate this option since I have a milling machine and a rotary table which are the usual tools for this kind of work.  With a lathe, you will have to put the drill bit in the chuck and find a way to index the body in the tailstock... not easy!   The rotary table is the way to go based on my limited experience but maybe and very experienced machinist could answer your question better than me?   Feel free to send me a PM if you need my help.

Take care Francis

I appreciate you taking the time to explain, thank you Francis!  The way you described makes much more sense!  I've had a yearning for a lathe for a while here and I'm trying to learn a little more about that I will and won't be able to do with it aside from the obvious.  Thanks again for the insight!

Wow! I passed over this thread before because I’m not really into race vehicles, but I must say Francis....You certainly have my attention now! This thread is both exhilarating and depressing at the same time. And to think I was blown away by that plastic grill you made.? Your work is as close to perfection that I have seen here or anywhere else.

Edited by NOBLNG

20 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Wow! I passed over this thread before because I’m not really into race vehicles, but I must say Francis....You certainly have my attention now! This thread is both exhilarating and depressing at the same time. And to think I was blown away by that plastic grill you made.? Your work is as close to perfection that I have seen here or anywhere else.

Thanks for visiting my thread and your very kind and exaggerated comments Greg!

This is my most ambitious project so far and it's very time consumming, despite the fact that I own the Modelhaus resin kit of this truck, I wanted a more accurate for most of the original body details (inside and out).  The body modification started in May 2018 and I'm not done yet... I had to dig in all my resources to make all these parts and the adventure continues.  This thing is really the kind of challenge I was looking for and I have to say I get what I pay for as they say!   I made most of the mechanical parts so I will be coming back in the next few weeks with the final details on the body and the fabrication inside the cabin (mainly styrene parts) so I think this will be more in your field of interest, so check back every now and then for more update.

The D100 is one of my favorite pickup and I'm a big fan of drag racing so this is the best of both worlds for me! ?

Take care, Francis