Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 1/25/2021 at 12:49 PM, Glen Powers said:

Well Francis imagine my surprise that your background was not as a master Swiss watchmaker!!!!!!?.    Just out of this world what you are doing with this build.

Glen

Thanks for the kind comment Glen!   I am far from being a watchmaker but I must admit my love for switch watches and their superb movements.  Just to think that these movements were invented hundreds of years ago makes me wonder... ?

Francis

On 1/25/2021 at 2:07 PM, foghorn62 said:

I am at a loss for words Francis, I have completely run out of superlatives to describe your work! Every post gets better than the last.  I’ll just get back on my tricycle and hand out some more candy.

TCOTTC

Thanks for your support my friend!   I hope I can continue to have this effect on you Tim but I must admit that I am a little surprised when you know what you are capable of achieving my friend!

By the way, the postman left a small envelope on my doorstep today... ?

Francis

On 1/25/2021 at 6:02 PM, butter said:

Nice wok Francis.  That bracket fits to the body like a glove and the fire extinguisher is a work of art. Awesome.

Thanks for the kind words Ron!   There was minus one for this part, I was about to glue the floor pan in place and there must be a little elf that pulled my ear...

Francis

On 1/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, charlie libby said:

just getting caught up on all your insane work.the gauge panel is over the top.the steering column is perfect.i see you are still having fun with anodizing.what do you use for a power supply.i have been looking around at different site trying to decide what i need to anodize as well.

Thanks Charlie!  Your work is also very inspiring my friend...  For anodizing, I bought a variable DC power supply on the internet, but a simple car battery charger set at 2 amps can do the job just fine.  There are clever calculations to be done depending on the surface to be anodized but for small parts like we do, I don't think you have to worry.   Send me a PM when you are ready to embark on the adventure and I will outline the process if you need help.

Francis

11 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

My goodness that is some tight work, Francis. Love the cigarette lighter, but the gauge panel is beyond words! 

Scott

Thanks for the comment Scott!  I was lucky to still have that negative film I made for a '68 Dart build because I had nothing else in my part bin to make gauges.  I would have been forced to make a "custom" type dashboard and it's really not what I wanted for this project!

Francis

Hello everyone,

Just a little update this morning before I get back to work, it's kind of "small step for my build but giant leap in the next steps".  The floor pan is finally glued in place with the cabin support brackets.  I don't know how many times I put this part back and forth in the cabin but the plastic was starting to turn yellow so I think that was a sign...   Good news, the floor pan fits like a glove and the body is straight as an arrow!   I know painting the interior and assembling will be a nightmare but I've always admired artists who assemble sailboats inside a bottle, so I'll get a little idea of the challenge (but with a much larger opening anyway!).  I have a plan or sequence to follow to install the components inside the cab, so hopefully everything will work as expected...   I was never the guy to take shortcuts so it continues...   Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Take care, Francis

Floor pan permanently glued in place.464_FloorPan_Final_1.JPG.41d50320941bab2ede1ca331394ca11d.JPG

Different view.465_FloorPan_Final_2.JPG.911284986613c3a6d2fdd1de95836a99.JPG

Seen from the rear position.466_FloorPan_Final_3.JPG.8154175f994467eb38e28ab997c195d7.JPG

So what is it about your work that makes it a cut above everybody else’s Francis?  There are lots of people that do awesome detail, but there is something about your work that makes it so very interesting.  It’s the fit and precision with which everything you do is executed.  It is just a marvel to behold.  Gluing in the floorboard seems like a relatively simple task, but it is one that many struggle with, yet you have spent so much time and effort to make it right in advance, that yours fits perfectly.  Well done!

TCOTTC

On 1/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, foghorn62 said:

So what is it about your work that makes it a cut above everybody else’s Francis?  There are lots of people that do awesome detail, but there is something about your work that makes it so very interesting.  It’s the fit and precision with which everything you do is executed.  It is just a marvel to behold.  Gluing in the floorboard seems like a relatively simple task, but it is one that many struggle with, yet you have spent so much time and effort to make it right in advance, that yours fits perfectly.  Well done!

TCOTTC

Thanks for your support Tim!   I have to admit that this part of the build may seem rather insignificant considering all the work done so far, but I don't think a clearly visible scar below the cabin would have been acceptable (at least for me ...) when the primary goal was to reproduce with as much detail as possible every nook and cranny of the original truck.  I have for a long time tried to reproduce as many details as possible in my builds but I think I went a little hard on this one, will hope that it will not catch me at the end... time will tell! 🤔

Francis

20 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

That looks great, seemingly simple but so hard to do well.

You are right Ian!  As with any construction, the foundation is often hidden but makes all the difference in obtaining the desired results. A house needs a good foundation to last over time...

Take care, Francis

16 hours ago, butter said:

HI Francis. The floor looks great. The next trick will be getting all the beautifully detailed interior components installed during final assembly. (I guess that is what opening doors are for.)

Thanks Ron!  You are absolutely right and I have a strategy to put each component in a particular order to assemble the interior.  I did some testing and it should be fine but it won't be a piece of cake.  There will be no easy as they say and the open doors will certainly help... 😉

Take care, Francis

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I am still, now even more, blown away by this thing. I hadn't seen the cab, for a while. It was nice to be reminded of what first drew me to this project. Excellent work with the floor and its installation, my friend

Thanks for your kind words and continuous support Daniel!   I'm also very happy to be back on the bodywork and making the final adjustments before I can think about putting paint on it.  The primary reason for this thread is the creation of a 1964 Dodge D100 in styrene above all else and the fabrication of the mechanical parts are only accessories to make it a racing vehicle.

Thank you for reminding me my friend! 😊

Take care, Francis

Hello everyone,

Not much progress this week but I managed to install some engine components permanently.   At this point, most of the parts are still in small "Ziploc" type bags but I had to install the oil pan and the timing chain cover to finalize the position of the big HEMI in the engine bay.  It will be a tight fit I can tell you...  The final motor assembly will give my bolt inventory a big slap, but our good suppliers are there for that, right?   I'm going to work on installing the frame in place with the brackets to the body and then make some adjustments to the body panels, it looks like the plastic has moved a bit after the liquid glue (Plastruct Bondene solvent cement) has finished migrating, hours of fun...   Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Take care, Francis

Oil pan finally installed with RB Motion aluminum bolts.438_Engine_Ass_Progress_1.JPG.9e3734b7a8187c2cb2cf3c06962f3e02.JPG

Side view, the oil pump and plumbing will be done during final assembly.  I also put brass bolts on the side of the engine block for the crank main caps.444_Engine_Ass_Progress_7.JPG.87bf229941334a99fe09d6406b93d011.JPG

Timing chain cover in place with aluminum bolts.439_Engine_Ass_Progress_2.JPG.486afd49446dd98e2b8437efc0d95bdc.JPG

Different view while we can still see it...442_Engine_Ass_Progress_5.JPG.6811f83610da4a50153f53231515ddb5.JPG

View from the other side for fun.443_Engine_Ass_Progress_6.JPG.7d246f96334a285a46c6fa5284de639b.JPG

The clutch set-up.440_Engine_Ass_Progress_3.JPG.ee58f60c89982b77bbdc135038846926.JPG

A last one!441_Engine_Ass_Progress_4.JPG.d6c0009c5c51aba47ec8308a16fad25e.JPG

Francis! Amazing, amazing stuff going on here.... like the others have said, running out of superlative words. The dash face is awesome... the whole truck is over the top gorgeous! Can’t wait to see it all in “one piece”. Hmmmm how many pieces are in this beast?!

Cheers, Steve