Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Oh my!!!! I am glad to have "inspired" you to take on this challenge.  They are absolutely amazing!  How did you get the pins at the pivot points to stay put.  That has been the biggest issue for me when I have attempted something like this because everything is so small and delicate. Also, I never thought about using guitar string for springs.  What a great idea. 

Do you have a projected contest coming up to debut this beast.  If you will be in the U.S. I will be there. I need to see this in person.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ray!

Take it from a guy who has seen Francis' models "in the flesh"... They are in a league of their own! Our luck is that he is a generous guy, has a knack for photography, and loves to share his ideas and techniques.

We are all better for it. 

CT 

Yes, we are!

Those hinges are ridiculous! Absolutely nuts.As awesome as all of the work is on this build, this is the bit that impresses me the most. In addition to working and creating such small parts, the geometry of the hinge assembly will be tricky to get right. Incredible work, excellent result.

I would be interested to know a little about how you wound those springs. Cheers.

22 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Awesome, Francis! If/when I ever get back to work on my Chevelle, you have laid a path for me to follow, for my hinges. Excellent work, my friend!

Thanks Daniel, you give us so much with all your awesome techniques my friend so if i can inspire you (or help you) just a little it's like icing on the cake for me!

Francis

18 hours ago, butter said:

Oh my!!!! I am glad to have "inspired" you to take on this challenge.  They are absolutely amazing!  How did you get the pins at the pivot points to stay put.  That has been the biggest issue for me when I have attempted something like this because everything is so small and delicate. Also, I never thought about using guitar string for springs.  What a great idea. 

Do you have a projected contest coming up to debut this beast.  If you will be in the U.S. I will be there. I need to see this in person.

Thank you for the kind words and for putting so much pressure on me Ron, you really inspired me my friend!

The pivot points are the aluminum rivets that I have machined, they are roughly 0.001" smaller than the holes in the components and around 0.015" taller than 2 parts stacked together.  I put a photo etch washer between the 2 parts (the support and arms) and crushed the rivets with my little "Punch Press".  I obviously did a test before that to make sure the parts weren't seized and remained operational.

I don't know if the opportunity will present itself to go to Uncle Sam's for an exhibition but if it happens, I'll let you know, in the meantime, don't hesitate if you have any questions I will do the same if you don't have no objections!

Francis

16 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

WAW Francis, am out of words right now my friend, i've been complaining about the hinges on my models all the time, and always like the to see them work, but obviously i never try to do something like this because i didn't have any idea on how to do it, Bravo

Thank you Marcos, I am very happy with the result and it was a first for me so it proves that you can surprise yourself sometimes and it is very rewarding!  This is one aspect of my builds that has bothered me for years as well, so I will be able to overcome this problem in the future!

Francis

10 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

@Francis....Amazing,  easy to imagine the hood just popping open with a slight movement....kind of like my lower jaw just now!  SMILING!  

Thank you Mike, and they are made of brass... you can smile my friend, you are somewhat responsible for this, your abundant use of this metal is starting to make its way into my habits... thank you for that among others!

Francis

7 hours ago, Bainford said:

Those hinges are ridiculous! Absolutely nuts.As awesome as all of the work is on this build, this is the bit that impresses me the most. In addition to working and creating such small parts, the geometry of the hinge assembly will be tricky to get right. Incredible work, excellent result.

I would be interested to know a little about how you wound those springs. Cheers.

Thanks for the very kind words Trevor, I'm happy you love them!

The springs are guitar strings (the larger one on the set if I remember well). I tried custom made some using tiny wires but they didn't have recall because they weren't tempered so I thought of these guitar strings as they are stainless steel (you just have to remove the center wire) .  I cut just the right length and bent a coil at both ends and voila, some working return springs!  I love using everyday material as much as possible, sometimes we forget to look around us...

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions, I'm here to help as much as I can... 😊

Francis

Hello everyone,

Thanks again to each of you for the kind comments on my last post about hood hinges, I really appreciate it!

I just realized that I forgot to show you a photo of the real part and one with the hinge closed under the hood while I am still able, I will need a little elf to do it when the big HEMI is in the engine bay... 🤣

Take care, Francis

285e_Hinghes_Test_5.JPG.8d017ff95a0e46ab4f09d6823944ac3c.JPG

The real thing... they are beautiful and strange at the same time...!D100_Hood_Hinge_1.jpg.39dcf7b225509d0d9caa4f56d0af2fd2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I thought of these guitar strings as they are stainless steel (you just have to remove the center wire) .  I cut just the right length and bent a coil at both ends and voila, some working return springs!  I love using everyday material as much as possible, sometimes we forget to look around us..

Francis

Thanks Francis. I didn't know the center was removable. Great tip. 

I too like to use everyday things in my model projects. I rarely buy aftermarket parts. I much prefer to make my own, if I can. 

3 hours ago, Bainford said:

I too like to use everyday things in my model projects. I rarely buy aftermarket parts. I much prefer to make my own, if I can. 

I heard that!  I love making my own parts! There are a few items I buy, like model railroad nut/bolt castings, but, if I can make it,  I will! 

15 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank you for the kind words and for putting so much pressure on me Ron, you really inspired me my friend!

The pivot points are the aluminum rivets that I have machined, they are roughly 0.001" smaller than the holes in the components and around 0.015" taller than 2 parts stacked together.  I put a photo etch washer between the 2 parts (the support and arms) and crushed the rivets with my little "Punch Press".  I obviously did a test before that to make sure the parts weren't seized and remained operational.

I don't know if the opportunity will present itself to go to Uncle Sam's for an exhibition but if it happens, I'll let you know, in the meantime, don't hesitate if you have any questions I will do the same if you don't have no objections!

Francis

Thanks for the info. i will have to give it a try and see what happens. BTW, you nailed the shape and geometry of the real hinge, nicely done.

18 hours ago, Bainford said:

I am more than happy to share all my tips Trevor!

Ironically I bought these guitar strings just for the center wire which is the right size to make brake lines and used to get rid of the wrapped part but now I know the whole thing Is usefull.

18 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

I can't say nothing that hasn't already been said.. Wow those hinges are works of art. Once again you have outdone yourself. Absolutely amazing skills.

Thanks Scott, I really appreciate your kind words my friend!

My goal is to always try to improve myself from the previous effort and with a lot of modesty I think that I could still do even better on the next ones but I don't think of making another D100 anytime soon...   On the other hand, the technique and the experience will serve me well in the future!

Francis

15 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I heard that!  I love making my own parts! There are a few items I buy, like model railroad nut/bolt castings, but, if I can make it,  I will! 

I have exactly the same philosophy Daniel!  Nothing is more rewarding than making your own parts, but I have to admit that not everyone has all the tools or equipment available, so our good hobby shops are here to remedy the situation! 😉

Francis

8 hours ago, butter said:

Thanks for the info. i will have to give it a try and see what happens. BTW, you nailed the shape and geometry of the real hinge, nicely done.

Thanks again Ron!   As you know, testing is key and most of the time after some trial (and error...) you end up finding the right fit.  Patience always wins out in the end...!

Francis