Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

17 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Not much chance of that.  My biggest challenge is to learn from your demonstrated mastery and apply that newly learned technique in such a way that doesn’t completely embarrass me when compared to your original.  Currently, those hood hinges have got me very frustrated.  Try as I have, I just have not been able to come up with something that I would consider acceptable.  Forget about comparable. 

TCOTTC

Thanks for your support and kind comments Tim!

I have learned over time that there is no point in trying to compare yourself, but you have to find pleasure and satisfaction in improving yourself no matter what your level of progress.  Anyway, there is always someone who can do better, you just have to find the balance between pleasure and frustration...  By dint of trying you will eventually find the winning recipe, it just requires more precision when you want the details to become functional at this scale! 😉

Francis

14 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I guess The Friendly Giant must still be around! You got him to hold the T-fitting for your brakes, I see. Bet you didn't think a "kid" from  the US would even know about that show! Where I grew up, we had as much TV from Canada, as we did from this side of  the border. As always, Francis, your work is exemplary. And inspirational. Excellent job, my friend!

Thank you for your kind words Daniel, In my case, "The Friendly Giant" is American and his name is Sherline, he has an iron fist!

It is rather ironic that on our side of the border it is the opposite, it is the American programs that have marked my youth...  There is no doubt that we have much more than just an economic partnership between our two countries...! 😊

Francis

7 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I love the progress, another great update.  It feels good to be painting something in a gong endeavor like this one.

Thanks Ian!

I probably won't be able to catch up with you, but I'm happy to move on to another kind of update for you, at least for a while... It makes me think that there is light at the end of the tunnel...!

Francis

14 hours ago, charlie libby said:

hi francis ,the truck is looking great.the headlites are vry nice . your frame look so real. what color for the body or is a secret? keep up the amazing work. charlie

Thanks Charlie, it's no secret, but I just want to think about it a little bit more even though I've pretty much made my choice. To be continued in the next few weeks...

Francis

Hello everyone,

I made some progress on the assembly and i machined an electric fuel pump to mount on the frame at the back of the truck.  I decided to position it there because I have to build and install the fuel tank and battery in the box and I didn't want it to be too crowded, it will take most of the space left between the tailgate and the suspension hump.  I have started the plumbing and wiring as you will see and I used photoetch retainers to secure the whole things in place.  I hope to install all the rear suspension next and show you the results soon.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. 😊

Francis

Gas pump in the milling chuck at early stage of fabrication.320_Pump_Gas_Progress_1.JPG.a272df62af0c96ba45a8a92899233a77.JPG

Brass motor armature shell in the vise, the electric wire will be added at final assembly.321_Pump_Gas_Progress_2.JPG.95d27e3526c6871a30017f4550a51717.JPG

All main components including aluminum bracket.322_Pump_Gas_Parts.JPG.21ae7c6e2107070a0c6a1cafb2b8d9db.JPG

Mounted on the chassis with the fuel line going to the front of the truck.323_Pump_Gas_Test_Fit_1.JPG.144301f93b228631315eeb9274059dc3.JPG

Brake lines in the proportioning valve.516_Brake_Lines_Rout_1.JPG.dc28a8d8c62f8ca25045feb4d0fb5509.JPG

Brake line running to the back of the truck.517_Brake_Lines_Rout_2.JPG.3270975d9a2bb678369d5cecbadf2f65.JPG

Brake line in the rear T-valve.518_Brake_Lines_Rout_3.JPG.7c38987c0d84333b7a357f3ec1ce0e18.JPG

Front right side brake line on the main suspension member.519_Brake_Lines_Rout_4.JPG.beba3f8c05f399bb3f21313f00742385.JPG

Different view.520_Fuel_Line_Rout_1.JPG.cbe747cd2b75eb12f5d9999c3be6d08f.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone,

I made some progress on the assembly and i machined an electric fuel pump to mount on the frame at the back of the truck.  I decided to position it there because I have to build and install the fuel tank and battery in the box and I didn't want it to be too crowded, it will take most of the space left between the tailgate and the suspension hump.  I have started the plumbing and wiring as you will see and I used photoetch retainers to secure the whole things in place.  I hope to install all the rear suspension next and show you the results soon.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. 😊

Francis

Gas pump in the milling chuck at early stage of fabrication.320_Pump_Gas_Progress_1.JPG.a272df62af0c96ba45a8a92899233a77.JPG

Brass motor armature shell in the vise, the electric wire will be added at final assembly.321_Pump_Gas_Progress_2.JPG.95d27e3526c6871a30017f4550a51717.JPG

All main components including aluminum bracket.322_Pump_Gas_Parts.JPG.21ae7c6e2107070a0c6a1cafb2b8d9db.JPG

Mounted on the chassis with the fuel line going to the front of the truck.323_Pump_Gas_Test_Fit_1.JPG.144301f93b228631315eeb9274059dc3.JPG

Brake lines in the proportioning valve.516_Brake_Lines_Rout_1.JPG.dc28a8d8c62f8ca25045feb4d0fb5509.JPG

Brake line running to the back of the truck.517_Brake_Lines_Rout_2.JPG.3270975d9a2bb678369d5cecbadf2f65.JPG

Brake line in the rear T-valve.518_Brake_Lines_Rout_3.JPG.7c38987c0d84333b7a357f3ec1ce0e18.JPG

Front right side brake line on the main suspension member.519_Brake_Lines_Rout_4.JPG.beba3f8c05f399bb3f21313f00742385.JPG

Different view.520_Fuel_Line_Rout_1.JPG.cbe747cd2b75eb12f5d9999c3be6d08f.JPG

Hi Francis!

Spectacular brake line routing, bravo! 

The late Pete Chapouris, of So-Cal Speed Shop (and Pete and Jake's) fame used to say, about building a car for a customer: "You start loosing money as soon as you start bending brake lines" . 

What do you say? Do you concur? Just curious...

CT 

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Spectacular brake line routing, bravo! 

The late Pete Chapouris, of So-Cal Speed Shop (and Pete and Jake's) fame used to say, about building a car for a customer: "You start loosing money as soon as you start bending brake lines" . 

What do you say? Do you concur? Just curious...

CT 

Thanks Claude!

I don't know, but maybe because of its scale, I'm not losing money so far, but I'm starting to lose patience...  It seems insignificant but it's one of the most difficult steps of the build.

This is no longer the time to put the brakes on this project... 😉

Francis

3 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Claude!

I don't know, but maybe because of its scale, I'm not losing money so far, but I'm starting to lose patience...  It seems insignificant but it's one of the most difficult steps of the build.

Francis

Hi Francis!

Good play on words! And I for one knows how much patience it takes to bend and route brake lines on a 1/1 car... let alone a scale work of art like yours. Perfection has a price, and you are willing to pay it, for our pleasure. Merci mille fois!

CT 

1 hour ago, Nazz said:

Hi Francis, another amazing chapter! I can't tell you how much I enjoy watching your work. Even though it is way above my pay grade, I still learn from it.

Thanks,

Jerry

Thanks so much for your kind comments Jerry!

I hope you will find the next chapters as pleasant as the previous ones, but they should be more colorful if I may say so... 😉

Francis

11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Claude!

Francis

Not insignificant by any means, and when done well, it stands out as one of those details that sets an outstanding build apart from a merely really good one. Yours, like every other aspect of this build is a thing of beauty.  Photo etch brake line clips, flair nuts... Nuts!  I have said before that final assembly is my least favorite, and most terrifying part of the build.  That loss of patience is probably the most likely culprit.  I know you’ll persevere in grand style!

TCOTTC  

Edited by foghorn62

I just can't imagine the amount of time and effort involved with bending, fitting and assembling the brake lines to this level. I'm working in a larger scale on a car with only rear brakes and it's one of the most challenging things I've  done to this point, and it's going to get redone one more time after seeing what you have accomplished here.  What material are your lines made of?

Francis, again your updates are awesome and inspiring. In case I missed the info, what size are the brass rivets you used for carriage bolts on the bumper? And did you make the small brackets that hold the fuel line to the frame? I appreciate any info.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:03 PM, foghorn62 said:

Not insignificant by any means, and when done well, it stands out as one of those details that sets an outstanding build apart from a merely really good one. Yours, like every other aspect of this build is a thing of beauty.  Photo etch brake line clips, flair nuts... Nuts!  I have said before that final assembly is my least favorite, and most terrifying part of the build.  That loss of patience is probably the most likely culprit.  I know you’ll persevere in grand style!

TCOTTC  

Thanks for your always kind comments Tim!

I feel the same way you do about final assembly because there is always a good opportunity to mess up something you spent hours making.  I once dropped a full bottle of super glue on my workspace where there were several pieces waiting to be assembled.  I'll let you get a mental picture... 😂

Thank you for your confidence, I will need it!!!

Francis

On 4/14/2021 at 7:57 AM, Ian McLaren said:

I just can't imagine the amount of time and effort involved with bending, fitting and assembling the brake lines to this level. I'm working in a larger scale on a car with only rear brakes and it's one of the most challenging things I've  done to this point, and it's going to get redone one more time after seeing what you have accomplished here.  What material are your lines made of?

Thanks Ian,   I don't see any reason why you should redo your brake lines as they are very well done!  It's your project and I respect your decision if you want to do it.  For the brake lines, I used 0.014" raw wire that I had in my inventory.  My mother gave it to me when she stopped doing DIY and I think it came from Walmart.

Francis