Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 4/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, GoatGuy said:

Francis, again your updates are awesome and inspiring. In case I missed the info, what size are the brass rivets you used for carriage bolts on the bumper? And did you make the small brackets that hold the fuel line to the frame? I appreciate any info.

Thanks for the kind words Dave!  The brass rivets are 0.8mm from Scale Hardware and the small steel brackets are photo etch from Detail Master.

Francis

On 4/15/2021 at 11:34 PM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Looks amazing Francis, question, how do you do those brake lines brackets, they looks fantastic

Thanks Marcos!  They are photo etch parts from Detail Master, the hardest part is to roll them up perfectly and have the holes lined up right to insert the little aluminum bolt that are used to attach them to the frame.  It takes a little patience... 😁

Francis

1 hour ago, gautreau said:

Francis, I have been following this build form the beginning and I'm truly in awe! You sir are a incredibly talented builder!

Thanks Jeremy, I really appreciate your kind words!

I think that when you love your subject, it helps to always want to do a little more!  I'm having a lot of fun with this project and I've made a lot of progress in my machining techniques (I think...), I hope it will serve me well in my future projects!

More picture of the assembly to come soon!

Francis 🇨🇦

15 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Marcos!  They are photo etch parts from Detail Master, the hardest part is to roll them up perfectly and have the holes lined up right to insert the little aluminum bolt that are used to attach them to the frame.  It takes a little patience... 😁

Francis

Deffinitlly that's something i need to try, i've been trying to do that with aluminum sheets and they never look like that...

Asok15F.jpg

DnSqOF2.jpg

I'm going to keep trying to get that better, but deffinitly going to try those Detail master ones, thanks man...

18 hours ago, ACR-E Doug said:

Francis, I was wondering when you have parts held in your lathe chuck and then do your work on the mill do you remove the part with a slitting saw on the mill or do you put the chuck on your lathe and use a cut off tool?

Hello Doug!  Thanks for your question, it depends on the shape and size of the material used to machine the part.  If I'm machining from a round rod, I separate the part the vast majority of the time by going back to the lathe with the regular cut off tool blade, but if the part is rectangular in shape, I use a cutting disc directly on the milling machine.  A little advice, if you use a cutting disc, get one with 110 teeth because the ones with smaller teeth tend to clog up easily, making then disturbing noises and the material stuck in them produce a less clean cut.  I find the cutting disc method more difficult to control and the right speed of the milling machine more difficult to determine (I speak from personal experience).

I hope this helps, Francis

6 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Deffinitlly that's something i need to try, i've been trying to do that with aluminum sheets and they never look like that...

This is great work Marcos!

The photo etch parts are definitely smaller and certainly more difficult to work with but with a little patience (and your skills) you will certainly be able to tame them... 😁

Francis

On 4/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

This is great work Marcos!

The photo etch parts are definitely smaller and certainly more difficult to work with but with a little patience (and your skills) you will certainly be able to tame them... 😁

Francis

Thanks Francis for the confidence on me LOL, i will try that soon...

Hello everyone,

Today's update is about assembly.  I started with the rear because I need to make some modifications to the front so I can lower the front as much as possible (without modifying the frame). Basically, I'm going to have to make a new off-center front spindle and hope to lower the front a few inches to scale, to be continued...  For now, I assembled the rear end and chrome plated the axle and 4-Link brackets using Caswell Copy Chorme, the result is what I was looking for, kind of a stainless color but not too chrome finished.  The rear suspension is full functional and the brake disks spin freely in the caliper.  I would have needed 4 hands to do the assembly but the space is very limited, I guess it wouldn't have been faster anyway...   I hope to be able to show you a glimpse of the unpainted body on the frame soon!  Comments and suggestions are welcome! 

I know I have to make this remark with diplomacy but if possible, in order not to repeat the photos I have uploaded, please avoid making a "quote" of the whole update but only of the photo on which you would have a question or comment to make. I'm already at more than 43 pages and I'm still far from the end with many pictures to come!   Your support means a lot to me!!! 😊

Take care, Francis

Fuel line connected to the electric pump.520b_Fuel_Line_Rout_2.JPG.0afaa9404d649d9fd09e4388e794440e.JPG

Rear end assembled.521_Rear_End_Final_1.JPG.93fb5f399a671e22c42c4d1ae27c8956.JPG

Other side view.  I forgot to mention that the brackets for the wheelie bar are installed and I will make this one later.522_Rear_End_Final_2.JPG.184e9aafebaa9c341deb0338d6899cb2.JPG

Rear end finally installed... hope for good...523_Rear_Susp_Ass_1.JPG.3b3831a33b953302869a304f3143e1df.JPG

Another view, the battery cable is also installed in the same way as the gas line on the other side of the frame.524_Rear_Susp_Ass_2.JPG.c428f9ce0410c06a7afda49bd8888527.JPG

Seen from the top.525_Rear_Susp_Ass_3.JPG.4d2d1f0726de6c3471450e6fb39247ef.JPG

Seen from the back.526_Rear_Susp_Ass_4.JPG.0730e9ae3e41432ee2c1fc50165f0c24.JPG

Brake lines are connected to the calipers, I also put bleeder valves.527_Rear_Susp_Ass_5.JPG.d2eacb0738a462b2453563f80975c181.JPG

Flexible brake lines connected to the T-valve.  I'll smooth out the small wrinkles when the epoxy glue hardens.528_Rear_Susp_Ass_6.JPG.3b0a4dbb62fcac23d9df327a0ef3d2b4.JPG

Lenco transmission support bolted to the frame.529_Trans_Support_Ass.JPG.a5140c813691773372f46750c47dc1d9.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 11:25 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank Ron!  Any update of your great FD-100 build my friend?

Hi Francis.

That rear end assy. is perfect!!!  Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my FD-100 build,   I have got the dash and windshield fitted in, a headliner built and am about to permanently install the cab floor.  Next I think  I will  assemble and fit the bed floor into the box. Thanks for asking. Other than you there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the project so I haven't updated the thread.

20 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Fantastic update AGAIN. And thank you for the reply about rivets use and brackets.

I'm always happy to help!  Thanks for visiting and for your kind comment Dave!

17 hours ago, Bainford said:

Oh yeah! This is looking good. 

Thanks Trevor!  I think the most interesting updates are still to come with even more assembly in the coming days and weeks...

16 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Looks so real man Just love it WAW

Thanks Marcos, I must say I'm pretty happy with the fit of the parts so far!

14 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Dadgum, Francis! Incredible work, my friend! Everything is just right!

Thanks Daniel,  The high quality of your work and your ingenuity keeps me motivated!  Thank you for that my friend!!!

9 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Just amazing Francis!

Thanks Roger!  I'm always happy to have your visit, I can't wait to see your next updates on your Hornet Pro Stock, I love this project and I hope you make it to the finish line!

1 hour ago, butter said:

Hi Francis.

That rear end assy. is perfect!!!  Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my FD-100 build,   I have got the dash and windshield fitted in, a headliner built and am about to permanently install the cab floor.  Next I think  I will  assemble and fit the bed floor into the box. Thanks for asking. Other than you there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the project so I haven't updated the thread.

Thanks for the kind comments Ron!

As for your truck, don't let disappointment set in, you have a beautiful project in the works and your construction techniques are top notch!   People don't comment all the time (and some never...), but there will always be interest in out-of-the-ordinary subjects like yours!  Just keep putting a log in the fireplace every now and then.... 😊

Francis

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Marcos, I must say I'm pretty happy with the fit of the parts so far!

they fit beautiful there, now i know i do mostly everything on plastic, but i'm trying to get good results with what i have and starting to save some money to get one of those little machines too, i want to take my builds to an upper level

16 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

they fit beautiful there, now i know i do mostly everything on plastic, but i'm trying to get good results with what i have and starting to save some money to get one of those little machines too, i want to take my builds to an upper level

You have the right philosophy and working methods Marcos, these precision tools are expensive but will only add new possibilities to your already exceptional work.  It takes a lot of patience and adaptation but the moments you spend in front of these precision tools to see the desired part gradually appear is a pleasure that is hard to describe!  😊

There is something for everyone in this hobby and some may find it illogical to spend so much money and time doing all these details but as I like to say, the important thing is to be different! 😉

Francis

10 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

A real work of art! As stated in the Zen thread, this is so many models in one model! Great work and such patience you have! A true inspiration! Need to practice to make brackets and screw things together. 

Thanks for your kind comments Anton!  You've pretty much expressed the way I see it in trying to create (or recreate...) each part in an effort to satisfy my quest for impossible perfection.  I am definitely doing this for myself but I really appreciate if what I am doing can inspire others!  I have found a lot of inspiration and motivation on this forum myself that keeps me going! 😊

Francis