Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Really on a roll with this one now Francis. That rear diff and suspension are lookin' mighty spiffy. Very good attention to detail and fantastic fabrication work brother.

Thank you my friend!  I think that the best is still to come and I hope not to have too many unforeseen events to spoil the work I have done so far... to be continued!!!

Francis

28 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Great work, and fantastic pictures. Bravo!

I'm cerain you are having fun at this stage. Seeing all the work "falling in place" is its own reward, isn't it?

CT 

Thanks Claude!

You are absolutely right my friend but this is also the most intimidating part of the project if I may say so.  It often doesn't take much for everything to go wrong, so it's best to take your time so as not to ruin what took so long to achieve... 😁

More to come soon!

Francis

There is not really anything  else that can be said about your talents and this project. This thread is one of the main reasons  I look forward to visiting these forums, I enjoy  every update and pour over your photos looking at the details and stash away what I learn for one of my future projects.  For me this build is pure entertainment and I mean that in the best possible way.                                      FANTASITC!                               Sorry couldn't help myself.

15 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

There is not really anything  else that can be said about your talents and this project. This thread is one of the main reasons  I look forward to visiting these forums, I enjoy  every update and pour over your photos looking at the details and stash away what I learn for one of my future projects.  For me this build is pure entertainment and I mean that in the best possible way.                                      FANTASITC!                               Sorry couldn't help myself.

Thank you so much for your confidence and appreciation of my project Ian, I really appreciate it my friend!  The essence of my goal is achieved if I could bring any motivation of a future project from you.  Your work is exemplary and I can't imagine that my work could influence a talent like yours!  Your project will undoubtedly cross the finish line before mine, I still have a few months to go before delivering the goods... Come back whenever you want!!! 😊

Francis

I really like your choice of colorization in the rear frame clip Francis.  They really complement each other.   Always fun to see all the bits and pieces come together, now all the effort you put into the individual pieces / sub-assemblies pays off.   cheers, tim

14 hours ago, charlie libby said:

hi francis, looking awesome.i to am trying to run brake lines and soon wiring. your brake lines look as good as all your work does. hope mine come out as nice

Thanks Charlie!  After seeing all the excellent work you have done so far, I have no doubt that you will pass this stage without any problem! 😉

Francis

1 hour ago, Codi said:

I really like your choice of colorization in the rear frame clip Francis.  They really complement each other.   Always fun to see all the bits and pieces come together, now all the effort you put into the individual pieces / sub-assemblies pays off.   cheers, tim

Thanks for the kind comment Tim!

I also enjoy following your amazing work and it is certainly a great source of motivation now and in the future!!! 👍

Francis

Hello everyone!

As I continued with the assembly, I decided to try to improve the front ride height, so I spent my last few hours at the bench modifying the front wheel spindles to lower the front as much as possible.  I made new off-center wheel spindles to go as low as possible, the oil pan being my limit, it is now 0.100" off the ground which is 2.500" at full scale, so I can't go any lower.  Beside the back suspension, nothing is permanently assembled, I'm still on fine tuning made I would say.  However, the Lenco transmission is permanently bonded to the bellhousing and the drive shaft is cut to its final length.  I will work on the front suspension and direction next so I hope to post some pictures soon.  Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Francis

New off-center front wheel spindle in the milling chuck.530_Front_Spindel_Mod_1.JPG.ece983163d5623ad54c644c56105e959.JPG

Mock-up of the front end stance.532_Mock_Assembly_1.JPG.e31ab7deb81d4e1275a9edf2b0838d3e.JPG

I will have to make a hole in the hood for the carburetor. 😂533_Mock_Assembly_2.JPG.66438c4da0d04541d09683706f2d390b.JPG

The big HEMI looks good in the enginebay.534_Mock_Assembly_3.JPG.c9b1c460af7e7dbc96ee9985b5a9d3cd.JPG

Side view from the back.535_Mock_Assembly_4.JPG.d20399119b2b6e4caf0de49e068ec15e.JPG

The oil pan is now at 0.100" (2.500" real scale) from the ground.536_Mock_Assembly_5.JPG.928c52bd3980c14085d64ddefe8eb4a6.JPG

View for the back.537_Mock_Assembly_6.JPG.b341231097e18eee3204a5606a32d2f8.JPG

View from the top.538_Mock_Assembly_7.JPG.0fffc22a21cf6b0aa64776892988c87c.JPG

The frame with the complete drive train just to boost my motivation... 😊539_Frame_Assembly_1.JPG.beee8ab0d37618e94fd4880e8dbc2de0.JPG

Still a long way to go but I'm pretty happy with that!!!540_Frame_Assembly_2.JPG.6ff94c5b12da55f718a0187e6da996b8.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Francis!

Very nice, it will be a killer! 

As to your oil pan clearance, I don't know the rules for NHRA, but the typical DMV or DOT policy is based around the notion of the so-called "scrub line".

Their assumption is that if you should blow a front tire, and it gets totally shredded off the wheel, the rim would touch the ground. Therefore, if you trace a line from the point of contact of that bare rim on the ground, and go straight to the contact point of one of your rear tires with the ground, nothing should "hang" below that imaginary line, because it would actually "lift" the car and prevent the remaining front tire from steering the car safely while slowing down. 

Your pan seems to hang very low, but I can't tell if it is below such an imaginary line. Do you know if NHRA has a similar policy requiring a "safe"  scrub line? Just curious... 

CT 

On 4/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Very nice, it will be a killer! 

As to your oil pan clearance, I don't know the rules for NHRA, but the typical DMV or DOT policy is based around the notion of the so-called "scrub line".

Their assumption is that if you should blow a front tire, and it gets totally shredded off the wheel, the rim would touch the ground. Therefore, if you trace a line from the point of contact of that bare rim on the ground, and go straight to the contact point of one of your rear tires with the ground, nothing should "hang" below that imaginary line, because it would actually "lift" the car and prevent the remaining front tire from steering the car safely while slowing down. 

Your pan seems to hang very low, but I can't tell if it is below such an imaginary line. Do you know if NHRA has a similar policy requiring a "safe"  scrub line? Just curious... 

CT 

Thank you for your kind comment and your interesting explanations of the safety rules Claude, you are clearly an expert in the field my friend!

I can't comment on the rules and the imaginary line you are referring to but at this point I think the truck will be a "Trailer Queen" as I have no intention of modifying the front suspension anymore. I've spent way too much time on this aspect so far and I'm going to try to make it as attractive as possible without trying to adhere to every aspect of the NHRA, that wasn't in my plan in the first place anyway.

Maybe we could create the NSCA (National Scale Car Association) and write our own rules to make them more suitable and realistic for the scale and materials we use?

What do you think?  I am ready to take my membership card!!! 😊

Francis

On 4/28/2021 at 9:11 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Hoo, baby! I am  smiling! Looks so sweet with the body on. Or off. Simply excellent!

Thanks Daniel!  I have to admit that I also smiled when I put the body on the frame and as much when I took it off...  The parts fit together even better than I had imagined and that makes me feel better about the rest of the project! 😊

Francis

6 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank you for your kind comment and your interesting explanations of the safety rules Claude, you are clearly an expert in the field my friend!

I can't comment on the rules and the imaginary line you are referring to but at this point I think the truck will be a "Trailer Queen" as I have no intention of modifying the front suspension anymore. I've spent way too much time on this aspect so far and I'm going to try to make it as attractive as possible without trying to adhere to every aspect of the NHRA, that wasn't in my plan in the first place anyway.

Maybe we could create the NSCA (National Scale Car Association) and write our own rules to make them more suitable and realistic for the scale and materials we use?

What do you think?  I am ready to take my membership card!!! 😊

Francis

Hi Francis!

NSCA? Great, keep card number 2 for me! Great idea!

As to your truck's stance, I think it is great, and the fun of modeling one-off creations is... There are NO rules!

CT 

NSCA,   Interesting concept and I would be in, but  as Claude says there are no rules, except have fun doing it.  With GSL winding down there is going to be a void though.  On to more important things, the chassis is stunning and what you have mocked up looks great! This truck is going to have some serious attitude, Can't wait to see it done.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, thatz4u said:

Any chance that you will make & offer copies of the body & bed????

Thanks for the request Al, I take it as a compliment! 

The way I built the cabin makes it almost impossible to duplicate.  I'm not an expert on resin copies, but to make the molds for the parts I think they must be free of undercuts and the cabin and bed are full of them in every corner.  When the idea is to make copies, the body has to be prepared in a way that it can be reproduced and this was never an option because I wanted to make a complete cabin with all the details in place before painting it.

Francis

18 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

NSCA? Great, keep card number 2 for me! Great idea!

As to your truck's stance, I think it is great, and the fun of modeling one-off creations is... There are NO rules!

CT 

That's great Claude!  I agree with the rule that there are no rules!  It's the best way to not put any barriers to creativity and I know you have great skills in this area!

You deserve your membership card!!! 😉

Francis

17 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

NSCA,   Interesting concept and I would be in, but  as Claude says there are no rules, except have fun doing it.  With GSL winding down there is going to be a void though.  On to more important things, the chassis is stunning and what you have mocked up looks great! This truck is going to have some serious attitude, Can't wait to see it done.

Thanks Ian!  I see the end of the high season fast approaching with the nice weather starting to set in and progress may be slower in the coming weeks or months.  I'll try to finish the body work and do the paint before the summer, to be continued...

Francis