Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Francis!!

Dude! this is so cool, Im not sure if GSL model show is coming soon (lost touch) But, when completed it will be right up there with the best!! I am sure you have seen Clay Kemp, John Teresi and Dave Thibideau (spelling correct, not sure) work? Between you and Tim,... we have 2 new members of the top builders!! If your going to the GSL with this ProStreet, the crowd will be in awww!

To cool

Lorne

On 5/12/2021 at 7:00 AM, foghorn62 said:

Sweet work as always Francis! The more this build comes together, the more I marvel at what a thing of beauty the whole assembly becomes.  The individual parts are each amazing in their own right, but seeing them assembled together, each with it’s own function yet in concert with the others just boggles the mind.  The sum of the parts is far greater than the individual. Each member of the orchestra is a master, but the symphony is the true work of art!

TCOTTC

Hey Tim!  I am glad to see you my friend!

Many of these parts are a first for me and could benefit of some improvement.  I am a very tough judge of my work and I am quite pleased with the response and feedback I am receiving.  The symphony is not yet complete but I hope to finish it in the next few months before the melody is a tune that is no longer of its time...

I hope I will not become the next "one hit wonder"...

Francis

On 5/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Wow, this is what we call a tight fit. I would not want to be the guy busting his knuckles to bolt the headers on this truck...  Just kidding... Bravo!

Now, to be able to pass tech inspection, you will need pressure lock pins to fasten the joints to the steering shaft. Quite a challenge! 

But please, don't do it. That would be, litterally, nano-machining! 

I can't wait to see this thing in person!

CT 

Thanks Claude!

You know all too well how twisted the headers are on a Mopar and mine is no exception!

In addition to my age, I am limited by the size of my tools so you can sleep easy, I will leave the part as is... until I get smaller bits...lol.

I also can't wait to see you in person with your impressive arsenal my friend!

Francis

17 hours ago, Lorne said:

Francis!!

Dude! this is so cool, Im not sure if GSL model show is coming soon (lost touch) But, when completed it will be right up there with the best!! I am sure you have seen Clay Kemp, John Teresi and Dave Thibideau (spelling correct, not sure) work? Between you and Tim,... we have 2 new members of the top builders!! If your going to the GSL with this ProStreet, the crowd will be in awww!

To cool

Lorne

Thanks Lorne!

You have added my name to an impressive list and I am honored!  I still think I have a lot to prove before I deserve this status and I take your comments with a lot of humility my friend.  I dream of the day when we can all be together in the same room to share our common passion.  It doesn't cost much to dream, in the meantime there is this forum and I think it fulfills its mission rather well.

Thank you my friend, you are yourself a very talented builder! 😊

Francis

17 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Francis, amazing work. I look at results like this, then go to my bench to see what I can add to get a little closer to realism. Thanks for sharing. Have you considered doing some short videos to put on youtube?

Thanks for the compliment Dave!  It's a bit embarrassing to say but despite my age (I'm still in my 50's) I'm a bit of a dinosaur, I don't have a smart phone (no cell phone actually...) so no good way to make videos.  I'm not at that level in my hobby and I think that adding this part to my projects would only increase the time of realization which I must admit is already very long or slow...  I am however quite open to explain how I made any part to anyone who asks for it.

Francis

14 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Wow! Every time that I look at this build I am amazed! Truly incredible work!!

Thanks Brian!  Your work inspires me a lot and I must say that I bought my first big truck kit last week since I was a kid thanks to builders like you who never cease to impress me.  It won't be for tomorrow but just another project for retirement when free time will be more abundant... 😊

Francis

On 5/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Mike Williams said:

Exquisite work, this is sensational progress.

Mike..

Thanks Mike!

I haven't made much progress lately, with spring chores unfortunately taking priority over my favorite hobby.  I hope to be able to show you a few things sooner or later as the outdoor chores are going well with the warm temperatures of May.

I hope to see you soon on the forum, your work is always inspiring my friend!

Francis

On 5/28/2021 at 8:28 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Great progress on the steering shaft,waiting in anticipation of the next set of pictures.

Thanks Ian, things have been going very slowly lately but I have made some progress that I will complete shortly and will post pictures in the next few days.  Sorry I don't have more to offer you for the moment, besides my work, I have to put my priorities on what can't wait, nature is in full explosion...

Francis

I really need to get out more often ...

I tend not to open the drag section - so I had some serious catching up to do ...  

nice way to spend the pandemic!  And as I have one kid in Western Canada - I know that your restrictions have lasted longer than ours ...

you may know this - not sure- most of Angie Hiscano’s contest building was done before he got his Sherline.  After his retirement from Orange Blossom he really fell for machining - he became a Sherline rep [pre-internet]  - and just started machining away.  Actually, there is another part to that story... that involves the fellow that founded the line of scale Hardware that you are using - such as the rivets ...

I’m going to explore that and get back to the thread after the holiday.  In the meantime:  

GREAT STUFF.   and you can’t take this to the GSL.  -  we’re gonna keep the borders closed for two more years !  

51 minutes ago, absmiami said:

I really need to get out more often ...

I tend not to open the drag section - so I had some serious catching up to do ...  

nice way to spend the pandemic!  And as I have one kid in Western Canada - I know that your restrictions have lasted longer than ours ...

you may know this - not sure- most of Angie Hiscano’s contest building was done before he got his Sherline.  After his retirement from Orange Blossom he really fell for machining - he became a Sherline rep [pre-internet]  - and just started machining away.  Actually, there is another part to that story... that involves the fellow that founded the line of scale Hardware that you are using - such as the rivets ...

I’m going to explore that and get back to the thread after the holiday.  In the meantime:  

GREAT STUFF.   and you can’t take this to the GSL.  -  we’re gonna keep the borders closed for two more years !  

Thanks for the kind words Andrew!

As for many builders I started out using simple tools like a small Dremel or a hand drill kit, machining came later after reading some articles by Angie Hiscano.

This site is a great source of motivation for me, I'm here to learn and share and the great openness of this pioneer has done its job.  I hope, in my own way, to perpetuate some of the wonder he brought to my favorite hobby!  Thank you for that Angie Hiscano!!!

For the GSL, don't be worried, I'm rather couch potato! 😉

Francis

Hello everyone,

I haven't been generous lately with updates because bench time is pretty limited with the great season that's settled in.  Since I made the hood, I had in mind to reproduce the DODGE lettering on it but I couldn't figure out how to do it.  My first idea was to make them out of aluminum but since most of the finishing had to be done by hand, styrene turned out to be the best option.  It took me a while but with a lot of elbow grease and patience, I think the final product is pretty acceptable.  This lettering is very distinctive and it was not an option for me not to at least try to reproduce them.  I hope you like them, I'll either use Bare Metal or I'll paint them with Molotow (or Alclad) at the very end.  I will continue to work on the project during rainy or too hot and humid days by taking refuge in the basement where my workshop is installed.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Take care, Francis

I started by making a rough drawing of the lettering on a piece of styrene.  I used a 0.020" end mill and 0.013" drill bit for the first operations.484_Hood_Nameplate_Prog_1.JPG.1bf5fc37d1dd74b6af1b09304d2fc333.JPG

I then separated each letter with a saw and finished the shape with a small file.485_Hood_Nameplate_Prog_2.JPG.b21c4bd6bfd545f66b61469087ec6768.JPG

Note the curvature on the back of the letter to fit the front shape of the hood.486_Hood_Nameplate_Prog_3.JPG.de53efd4d9e33d19346dc92dce00b0f3.JPG

All letters almost finished.487_Hood_Nameplate_Prog_4.JPG.3bc5c52eed3725ef08cd5274374cfe46.JPG

I glued the letters to the hood and will sand them down to make them look as close to the real ones as possible.488_Hood_Nameplate_Final.JPG.27164754c0ba312ac743c2d1f03b408e.JPG

• Like 1

I had to chuckle Francis when I saw the Dodge logo.  You sir, have now officially crossed over to the darkside.  Turned out quite nicely I might add as well.  Keep at it, we're enjoying the build for sure.  cheers, tim

This right here.....

540_Frame_Assembly_2.JPG.6ff94c5b12da55f718a0187e6da996b8.JPG

speaks VOLUMES to me. All the fabrication, modifications and attention to detail all come together to produce such a high quality product that one just can't help but to be impressed. Francis.....you are, without a doubt, one of the very best modelers I've ever seen.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2