Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

22 hours ago, Codi said:

I had to chuckle Francis when I saw the Dodge logo.  You sir, have now officially crossed over to the darkside.  Turned out quite nicely I might add as well.  Keep at it, we're enjoying the build for sure.  cheers, tim

Thanks Tim, luckily the letters are larger than today's standards, I'll have to think about 3D printing soon...  I just stepped into the dark side but I'm back! 😉

Francis

11 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

I never thought on that, that a detail that I never going to forget Francis, now I need to get me one of those machines 

Thanks Marcos, I had been thinking about it for a long time but I didn't think I could do it.  You should never despair, even if it doesn't work the first time, the effort is usually rewarded... 😊

Francis

10 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

The "Dodge" lettering is quite simply, one of the  most amazing accomplishments I have ever seen. Fantastic work, my friend!

Thanks Daniel, I am very honored by your kind comment my friend, however I think this kind of detail seems harder to do than it actually is!  It's more a work of patience than anything else!

Francis

8 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

This right here.....

speaks VOLUMES to me. All the fabrication, modifications and attention to detail all come together to produce such a high quality product that one just can't help but to be impressed. Francis.....you are, without a doubt, one of the very best modelers I've ever seen.

Thanks for your generous comment my friend!  You have no idea how important it is to have the support of people like you in this kind of long-term project!  I'm building it for myself of course, but if the quality of what I'm doing is improving, it's because of you all! 👍

Francis

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Wow, that's quite litterally surgical precision. As they say: you "dodged" all difficulties on this lettering... Bravo!

CT

Thanks Claude!  Good pun as you got me used to for a long time my friend!  I would have had a lot more trouble if I had done the Canadian version "FARGO".

Let say that I "dodged" the problem... 😁

Francis

On 6/5/2021 at 8:47 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Francis you just keep raising the bar on this project. You said you hand finished the letters with a small file, How small?

Thanks Ian!  This is a small set of Swiss pattern needle files that I bought a long time ago at a local flea market but can be found easily on the internet.  Several sizes are available but mines are about 4 in. long with 12 different shapes.  Very useful traditional tools for old timers like me... 😁

Of course, I used them to finish the outside shapes of the letters because the openings were made with the end mill or the drill bit. 

Hope this helpful, Francis

2.png.ec4c494bb4f1578dfe50c2e1bf59bc30.png

22 hours ago, Kromolly said:

This build just continues to get more impressive every time I look.  I'm just floored.  Francis, your skill and talent are beyond anything I have seen.  You are truly an artist... one of the best.  

Thank you so much for your kind comments Roy!  I still have a lot of work to do before crossing the finish line, so I hope not to disappoint you by the end...  You are welcome at any time!

Francis

22 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Looks just like the set of files I have.  Yours appear to work better than mine.    LOL  

You are obviously a harsh judge of yourself because what I see of the craftsmanship of your projects is of the highest caliber my friend!

Your hands do the work, the files are accessories! 😉

Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I had a few hours to make some work on the pickup so I take a few time this morning to show you my latest progress.  First, I sanded down the DODGE letters on the hood and I taken a shot to show you the effect I was looking for and I am very happy with the result.  Second, the inner fenders or wheel apron are finally installed, I put the engine temporarily in its place to show you the adjustment.  Third, I was forced to do what I didn't want, open an hole in the hood... 😂   The carburetor was just a little bit too high and the hood didn't shut completely so it was the sole acceptable option.  There was no way I was going to start over and modify the intake, so I decided to add a little scoop on the hood.  I made a first version but modified it so that the rear part is more curved to resemble the shape of the side window, this gives it an identity that matches the shape of the cabin I think.  It's not what I originally intended but I think it doesn't detract too much from the original look and gives it a bit more aggressive look.  What do you think about it?   Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Take care, Francis.

Sanded DODGE letters to emulate the real ones.488b_Hood_Nameplate_Final.JPG.58f6aa70c00219b8380c85fc0e1114b8.JPG

Wheels apron finally installed.573_Wheel_Apron_Final.JPG.0fb9343a224e0313cbd4dfce8fdf2951.JPG

I was forced to make an opening on the hood, it was the first attempt but I finally made a square opening for more latitude.574_Hood_Modif_1.JPG.7bf199fb21b0cab3295f4bdd772d72f4.JPG

This is the first version of the hood scoop, I made a new one with a more curved shape on the back.575_Hood_Scoop_Version_1.JPG.bdadd819c0da66dc822dc293d2bb277a.JPG

Start over with a second version.575b_Hood_Scoop_V2_Progress.JPG.019cbf0c390d3f072b865a7b5bcd6e7e.JPG

I think it's not too bad finally...576_Hood_Scoop_Final_1.JPG.7294f8b78aec438c3169eaa69388d7f6.JPG

You can see the carburetor coming out slightly from the hood.577_Hood_Scoop_Final_2.JPG.a400f1322d09ba0130c2585ff20cac0a.JPG

Another view, sorry for the blurry picture...578_Hood_Scoop_Final_3.JPG.0efdaa0f47b10bd464c9d9cf9640609e.JPG

I think the hood scoop is an acceptable match for the shape of the side windows and does not distort the original concept too much. 🤔579_Hood_Scoop_Final_4.JPG.334837a8061e463583aa4a9df1d097d7.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foghorn62 said:

With that engine sitting under it, anything will look right!  Have you thought about turning the scoop around so the tapered part faces front and the opening toward the rear?  Just a thought.

TCOTTC 

Thanks for the kind comment Tim.  It was an option, but I thought it looked too modern when turned the other way.  As I mentioned, I think that in this orientation it blends well with the shape of the side windows and gives it a bit more of a period look...  Thanks for your suggestion by the way, I was a little confused to have to make an opening in the hood and the more I look at it, the more I like it! 😊

Francis

6 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Nice touch, simple but really good, make the the build look more sweet 

Thanks Marcos!  Sometimes we have to compromise to get things done...  I've been going around in circles about this for a while, but now it's a thing of the past!  I still have a lot of parts to make, so I can concentrate on other aspects of the project... 😊

Francis

On 6/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Looks just like the set of files I have.  Yours appear to work better than mine.    LOL  

Oh man... that gave me a really good laugh! I was thinking the exact same thing, in fact, I might return mine and see if I get a set that work like Francis!! 

Francis, we are all running out of superlatives to describe your build sir. It really is quite amazing seeing it all come together. I do hope that I have the opportunity to meet you in person one day and see this work of art.