Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Hello to everyone!

The long quiet river continues and I've had little time for the pickup these past few days so I've been doing the oil pump assembly and the lines that connect to the oil pan.  I started to work on the hardware for the parachute but I didn't make enough progress to make it worthwhile to upload what is done, it will be for the next update.  I have two more weeks to work and then I will be on vacation.  A lot of small jobs on the agenda for the house but I hope to find some time for the truck if the bad weather allows it...

More to come sooner or later... thanks for your patience and support, it's really appreciated!

Francis

The hose are electric wires and the ends are Albion brass tubes.

570_Oil_Pump_Final_1.JPG.6467f42ff9a38619b02657380304ff64.JPG

I made the oil filter with a styrene sprue and I will add a sponsor logo (Fram) at the final stage of the assembly.571_Oil_Pump_Final_2.JPG.cfcc3b31aa3d7ac4306d654bcfe6259e.JPG

I anodized the main body of the oil pump in black for more contrast even if it will be barely visible when the HEMI is in place in the engine bay.572_Oil_Pump_Final_3.JPG.c6e496388138e05e4aec98f3ebee7010.JPG

On 7/21/2021 at 1:31 AM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

That's Awesome Francis

Thanks Marcos, not much to show you but still progress... 😉

On 7/21/2021 at 4:19 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Just. WOW! It looks like a real engine. Fantastic work,  my friend!

Thanks Daniel, I don't have much time to devote to this hobby these days, but I'm trying to keep the project alive for next fall.  It's starting to get cobwebs on my workspace, so I'll have to take things in hand soon...

On 7/23/2021 at 6:26 AM, Codi said:

I thought the whole build looked great before Franics.........now after surgery, I can only say it looks even better if that's possible.  Cheers, Tim

Thanks Tim, I really appreciate your comment sir but you should also be able to see the flaws more clearly now....  I will have to be even more careful with my next parts.... 😉

On 7/23/2021 at 9:50 AM, landman said:

:wub:

Thanks Pat, it's been a long time since I've seen you my friend, but that's probably a bit my fault too as I don't visit the site as regularly these days.  I should have a busy fall as I would like to finish this project next winter.  Ideas are running around in my head but I need to keep focused on the subject... 😁

Wonderful update, Francis.

The aluminum/brass contrasts make for quite an eyeful.  I especially like the front cover, this should make a nice optical reference when viewing the completed motor.  Also, the brass freeze plugs are a killer, I'm doing the same with a blue Hemi motor in the works.  It's always a pleasure to view the progress with this project!

Mike..

Simply gorgeous as always Francis!  I share your frustration with not having time to work on your hobby due to summertime projects and commitments.  Everything has its time and place.  I look forward to a little snow flying so I can get back to my hobby bench, but in the mean time I try to follow your progress as much as possible, in order to stay inspired for whenever I do get back to it.  Enjoy the rest of your summer and autumn Francis!  This beauty will be awaiting you whenever you are able.

tcottc

On 7/25/2021 at 12:10 PM, Mike Williams said:

Wonderful update, Francis.

The aluminum/brass contrasts make for quite an eyeful.  I especially like the front cover, this should make a nice optical reference when viewing the completed motor.  Also, the brass freeze plugs are a killer, I'm doing the same with a blue Hemi motor in the works.  It's always a pleasure to view the progress with this project!

Mike..

Thanks Mike, I also really like the color contrast between the brass and aluminum parts even though many of these details will hardly be visible on the final product.  Let's just say that I do it much more for the pleasure of making parts than for the logic or the respect of the real components of a real vehicle.  That's the fun of this hobby where there are no rules to follow when creating a fictitious vehicle.  I'm also having a lot of fun following your prowess with this beautiful yellow metal my friend! 😉

Francis

On 7/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, foghorn62 said:

Simply gorgeous as always Francis!  I share your frustration with not having time to work on your hobby due to summertime projects and commitments.  Everything has its time and place.  I look forward to a little snow flying so I can get back to my hobby bench, but in the mean time I try to follow your progress as much as possible, in order to stay inspired for whenever I do get back to it.  Enjoy the rest of your summer and autumn Francis!  This beauty will be awaiting you whenever you are able.

tcottc

Hey Tim!  I am glad to get some new from you my friend.  As we often say, there is a time for everything and you have to make the most of the beautiful days when you live a little further north...  Still, the rainy days take away some of the guilt of moving forward (at a snail's pace...) and keeping the project alive.  I hope to have a productive fall and finish this project next winter.  There are so many potential subjects that tempt me and beautiful projects on the site, I have to keep myself focused and dreaming about my next build. 😊

Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Things are still going very slowly lately, so I took some pictures with the headers temporarily in place to check the fit before going any further.  I had to do a lot of adjustment on the main member (before painting it) to keep the engine as low as possible in the engine compartment without forgetting all the components that are present on the driver side.  The passenger side was rather easy to adjust because there are few obstacles to the passage of the piping but I imagine that it would probably be a bit like this on a real vehicle.  Sorry, there is some Tamiya tape in some places because I don't want to damage the paint by manipulating the frame, moreover, except for the suspension and steering components, everything is only temporarily installed at their destination places.  The piping seems to fit well everywhere to date, I keep my fingers crossed as twisted as all those pipes... 😁

I had only few hours on the bench and made some minor progress on the parachute set-up fabrication.  It will be a removable device as I need to keep access to open the tailgate since the fuel tank will be located between the hump and the tailgate.

Sorry for this little summer interlude but I really enjoy watching the good work that continues to be done all over the site during the summer months, it is very inspiring!!!

Francis

592_Headers_Test_1.JPG.e5bfaa8b0a9bf046788cc41285a5aa7f.JPG593_Headers_Test_2.JPG.12d16edea5a2929b40c1b0bdb8951e32.JPG594_Headers_Test_3.JPG.99ddca1adb6a24136db146b3fbac7250.JPG595_Headers_Test_4.JPG.13db5caf7e39c4ef069fce92582e5da6.JPG596_Headers_Test_5.JPG.7e7e8cc650787fe569a82d234a2c0d8b.JPG597_Headers_Test_6.JPG.3819662e8d7fc15983f049decbdde9c3.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Francis!

Well. I'm afraid you did it: my friend, you pushed the bar so high with your mastery of metal, you now must be informed that fellow modelers on this forum, from this day on, will not accept anything less than a full METAL frame on your next build.

The jury is out, and that's it. Styrene? What is this stuff, anyway? 

LOL. 

Fantastic details, as usual!

CT 

19 hours ago, cobraman said:

Not much to say that has not already been said. Unbelievable detail. What a great model in the making.

Thanks Ray!  I certainly won't win an award for speed of execution though... The brass parts have time to oxidize between my updates...😢

17 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Yessir!

Thanks Daniel, I am always honored to have your support my friend!

17 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Fantastic update.  I might have missed it, but what material(s) did you use for the header tubes?

Thanks Jim,  The header tubes are made with soft aluminum craft wires, the material is quite malleable but not as malleable as roll solder, however the size is exactly what I wanted (0.080'').

14 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Well. I'm afraid you did it: my friend, you pushed the bar so high with your mastery of metal, you now must be informed that fellow modelers on this forum, from this day on, will not accept anything less than a full METAL frame on your next build.

The jury is out, and that's it. Styrene? What is this stuff, anyway? 

LOL. 

Fantastic details, as usual!

CT 

Thanks Claude!  So I will have to choose my next build very carefully and do more research to increase my yellow metal inventory.  It could be that we have to travel with an adapted transport service for people with reduced mobility at the next exhibition, that should add a good decade to my time of realization... 🤔

You're probably right, Styrene is endangered... 😂

Hope to see you soon... in person!!!

11 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Just amazing Francis

Thanks Marcos!

23 hours ago, Nazz said:

I see the engine and chassis are coming together nicely, another great chapter Francis!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  I still have a few parts to make before I can say the engine is complete, but I'm close to the final count... I'll do the rest next fall in addition to the other missing parts for this long project... 😁

18 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just keeps getting better every update.

Thanks Bob!  I am aware that construction takes time and I hope you will continue to be lenient with me on the time needed to deliver the goods...

4 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh my!  Francis, the most inspiring on this forum are your updates.  Might I write, this one in particular?

Just wonderful.

Mike..

Thank you very much Mike!

I had a thought for you when I made this update.  I remembered that you had asked me several months ago for pictures with the headers in place.  I deliver the goods with a lot of delay but as they say, better late than never... Thanks for your patience my friend! 😊

Francis

On 8/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, Sergey said:

Outstanding work Francis! I salute you!

Thanks Sergey!  The pleasure of meeting here on this forum and sharing our passion regardless of the distance that separates us ... the magic of the internet!!!

On 8/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, landman said:

I certainly hope you will let us know when you start it. Some of us may make the trip to witness it.

Thank you for your enthusiasm but it may not make much noise... however, I would not pass up your birthday my friend, is it the beginning of adulthood or the continuity of what I call the new youth! 🎂