Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Sergey!  The pleasure of meeting here on this forum and sharing our passion regardless of the distance that separates us ... the magic of the internet!!!

Thank you for your enthusiasm but it may not make much noise... however, I would not pass up your birthday my friend, is it the beginning of adulthood or the continuity of what I call the new youth! 🎂

It is the 30th year of my forties.

16 hours ago, Codi said:

S-W-E-E-T  Francis.   I'm diabetic and this is one serious sugar high.  You're killin' me..........😁   cheers, tim

Thanks for the sweet words Tim!  Let's go in moderation, sugar is not very good for your vision and seeing your project progress, your full visual capacity is a must! 😉

2 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Enjoying each new update, so much inspiration. 

Thanks Ian!  I spent a lot of time on the drive train to make this truck fast but now I'm working on making it decelerate with the parachute system...  I hope to post some picture soon with what I have done so far.  Fall is approaching and the time for the hobby should increase in the next weeks, I hope to finish this project next winter... I have many ideas in mind... Maybe too many... 🤔

56 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

I would ask what you do in your spare time, but I doubt you have any....

There is no harm in asking Al,

I must admit that this hobby occupies most of my free time especially during the long winter months.  Apart from my full time job, all the interior and exterior maintenance of the house takes the lion's share of the cake in the summer.  It may surprise you to know that I am a great lover of the outdoors and I never miss an opportunity to go for a long walk or a bike ride, I live in the country after all.   It's all about balance and I must admit that I often find a solution to the fabrication of a complex part during a long walk, I call it coming back strong! 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

After several small sessions at the workbench during the last few weeks, I was finally able to make the basic parts of the parachute system.  As I had already mentioned, the parachute is removable style to keep access to the tail gate where the fuel tank and battery will be located (to be made later).  I will probably have to make some minor adjustments and then I will work on the deployment system (manual lever) which will be located near the driver seat.  Sorry again for the long delay in posting new updates and the lack of activity lately but the tasks around the house were the priority and I hope to have more time for this project in the coming weeks.  Questions and comments are welcome.

Francis

Brass main frame, I don't know yet if I'll chrome plate it or leave it bare?598_Parachute_Prog_1.JPG.de16035f150ed5a8627d2bdf5594eefd.JPG

Parachute support plate in progress (0.010'' brass sheet).599_Parachute_Prog_2.JPG.4576580b271e017dba743924d07762e1.JPG

Handmade contour with a small file, the hole on the left will be used to pass the trigger wire.600_Parachute_Prog_3.JPG.4d201c2573cac36ae9fcc5f319098c33.JPG

Dismantling pin in process.601_Parachute_Prog_4.JPG.c9cbda89ec3fceacfedbc4bb3a54e68a.JPG

Final part.602_Parachute_Prog_5.JPG.cc29d9e945ca6f1db4eb12a6230a7c97.JPG

Main components, the parachute was shaped from Delrin.603_Parachute_Parts.JPG.881e3633eb1ec0598d9ccde3df6a0f65.JPG

Quick test.604_Parachute_Test_1.JPG.f8163c340d38f0eb4170552b995758f1.JPG

Another test on the truck.605_Parachute_Test_2.JPG.89248bbb18d4341d200dd26e9e06ab35.JPG

I added more details on the parachute, the warning flag was in my parts bin and is probably from a die cast.606_Parachute_Flag.JPG.ec1a327c30eb090a2b1b2c959cb50a8c.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:11 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis! 

A good news, and a bad news... First: this is great, microscopic precision. Bravo! 

Now the bad news: I'm sorry to inform you that DELRIN is forbidden on this forum. Therefore, you'll have to carve a new 'chute... Styrene only will pass inspection.

Just kidding! 

CT 

Hey, thanks Claude!

I didn't know about the restrictions on Delrin but I hope it won't "hold me back" in my future progress... I will try to limit myself to Styrene in the future so that I don't get hit by the wrath of the modeling gods... 😁

Francis

On 8/25/2021 at 12:19 PM, crazyjim said:

Francis, you continue to amaze me with your work.  It's just fantastic!

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you still like it my friend but I'm pretty sure you must find my pace of progress less impressive... 😂

18 hours ago, Codi said:

Very well thought out Francis and of course, well executed.  This is truly an awe inspiring build.  cheers, tim

Thank you Tim, for the inspirational side I must admit I have a lot of that essential food with your current and past topics sir!  😊

6 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I haven’t checked in for a while. This thing just keeps getting more amazing. I believe that I can hear it run. 😀 This one is simply a pleasure to watch come together! I am looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you Brian, I am always happy to read your kind comments and hope to fulfill your expectations in the coming weeks or months... 🤫

On 8/28/2021 at 6:54 AM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

amazing detail Francis, love it, that's somethign i can try to do on one of my promods

Thanks Marcos,

I would have preferred to make a fixed version but I would have lost the access to the tailgate which is functional.  I think the removable version makes more sense in this context. I don't know if there are any special rules (except the 150mph on the quarter mile) but I imagine this type of parachute would be legal for my truck.  Anyway, as a good friend of mine once told me, there are no rules in the wonderful world of model building... 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Marcos,

I would have preferred to make a fixed version but I would have lost the access to the tailgate which is functional.  I think the removable version makes more sense in this context. I don't know if there are any special rules (except the 150mph on the quarter mile) but I imagine this type of parachute would be legal for my truck.  Anyway, as a good friend of mine once told me, there are no rules in the wonderful world of model building... 😉

Well Francis, that is true no rule on this little world of us LOL, but i now that i see your vision i think is the best way to do it man

22 hours ago, Nazz said:

Hey Francis, thank you for another amazing chapter! It reminds me I really need to finnish my Camaro F/C.  I really love the shute but what is Delrin?

Jerry

Thanks for your kind words Jerry!  Delrin is just another kind of polymer (acetal homopolymer) but it is harder than styrene and machinate beautifully.  Another reasons I used it is because it is already black and didn't need to be painted.

If you make so research on internet you can find this: Delrin works as an excellent replacement for metal because of its high-tensile strength, low-friction and high-wear resistance, creep and warp resistance, and overall durability and toughness.

Hope this helps, Francis

12 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The parachute assembly is outstanding, the final part and the hairpin holding the Remove Before Flight flag are getting dangerously close to showing off  LOL

Thanks Ian,  If the parachute deploys for no reason, I will have the difficult task of putting it back in place with my small pliers...LOL 😁

Hi Francis, Incredible workmanship as always. While looking at the pictures of the chute cords I think the chute (when being deployed) would shear the pin as you have the cords secured to the removable section. The cords should be secure to the frame mounted cross member you made. Just a thought.

Edgar

23 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Hi Francis, Incredible workmanship as always. While looking at the pictures of the chute cords I think the chute (when being deployed) would shear the pin as you have the cords secured to the removable section. The cords should be secure to the frame mounted cross member you made. Just a thought.

Edgar

Thanks for the comments Edgar!

I am not an expert in this field as I have never had a drag car that requires a parachute installed for competition.  I made the parachute by referring to pictures on the internet and I planned to attach the release cable (that goes from the cab) to the pin.  It will be a manual deployment system, does it make a difference on how to attach the pin?

Don't hesitate to get back to me on this if I am in "left field" as we say in my part of the country. 🤔