Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 11/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, Ian McLaren said:

Francis it looks like I'm in the minority here but I agree with your thoughts on painting the tank.  You already have an astounding amount of machined aluminum on the vehicle.  I'm speaking from almost 20 years as an ISCA Official, too much of any finish, polished, chrome, machine turned or engraving looses it's effect without contrast.  The tank is stunning but  it will still be so painted, due to the detail you have incorporated into it, and the contrast will make the  other machined parts stand out more.  As usual a fantastic update.

Thank you Ian, you have understood my vision and my reluctance to align all these parts with more or less the same finish.  On the other hand, I understand anyone who finds it rather counterproductive to paint an aluminum part that I spent time polishing to remove all traces of machining.  I can't please everyone but I'll do my best not to disappoint my loyal supporters!  I still have a few more parts to make before going to the final step... 😊

On 11/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, Bainford said:

Looking great, Francis. Very nice work and a fine looking fuel cell. I agree with painting it. There are a lot of artful assemblies on this model where one may argue they should be left unpainted, but too much natural finish will detract from the overall look of the model, and take away from some of the realism that you have worked so hard to achieve.

Either way, it will be awesome!

Thanks for your input Trevor, it looks like you're also in the minority on this one, but as I said before, nothing is irreversible, I'll probably do the test and may go back to the bare metal finish if it doesn't turn out as expected.  Anyway, as long as all the details (tubing and accessories) are not all in place, it's difficult to make a final idea, but I think it will be acceptable... 😁

Francis

Hello everyone,

I wouldn't have thought that my intention to paint the fuel cell would have brought more comments than usual but since this is the case, I decided to make another one but for a completely different function...  Tonight I'm posting another update and it's for the cool can.  It will definitely be packed under the hood so I custom made the cool can to fit between the radiator support and the wheel apron.  The usual shape is cylindrical but I like to use the available space so I had no choice but to give myself a little trouble... again...  Good news, this one stayed bare metal and I took the liberty to do something different with the color of the cap by anodizing it in blue, it's supposed to cool down right?  So I thought the blue would look ''cool'', no pun intended... 😂   I hope you'll like it and don't hesitate to comment, I'm listening to you even if I often do a little bit to my head... 😁

Francis

I spared you the pictures of the machining, I think you have a good idea how I do it.583_Cool_Can_Prog_1.JPG.2bb7b65df322e7c512c9d3a48f67d43b.JPG

Different view.584_Cool_Can_Prog_2.JPG.f5aa67021f6ca113a9b7ec4db2e0ec10.JPG

I used a .020" end mill to make the grooves on the cap and kept a shoulder of sorts this time.585_Cool_Can_Cover_Prog_1.JPG.206d22a37a8bc4dda33abda8b36bcdd0.JPG

The drain plug is made in brass for more color contrast.586_Cool_Can_Drain_Plug_1.JPG.879c880ea04809f785f2a686649ba11d.JPG

Test fit.587_Cool_Can_Drain_Plug_2.JPG.8ca5f93feea189d1dc3a5e956cac131e.JPG

Blue anodized filler cap.  Maybe a little too dark, this was my first attempt with this color.588_Cool_Can_Drain_Plug_Ano.JPG.1a094f72864c2dc491e370341f62d35a.JPG

Test fit in the engine bay.589_Cool_Can_Final_1.JPG.45192749886343a90f4ce2cf090d1ea9.JPG

A different angle, I'm happy with the way it looks... and it doesn't interfere with the hood when closed. 😁590_Cool_Can_Final_2.JPG.737a7e210e63696249c85878057068aa.JPG

One more until the next thing I have to offer you!   Sorry for the slightly blurry pics, it looks like the dime was my focal point.... 🤫591_Cool_Can_Final_3.JPG.e9cbfe607937ae0103356bb3b547be4b.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I would paint it. Artistic license is great, but, accuracy is greater!

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Super "cool"! That's a beauty!

Thank you for your kind words Daniel, I know you love details (and accuracy) as your builds are full of them and are a good source of motivation for all detail lovers! 😊

Francis

Hi Francis, been too long but boy did you stumble upon something.  I like all that you've made and you'll ultimately decide what is the best color scheme / finish when it's time.  What color is the body going to be btw?    That should definitely factor into what colors and finishes you decide upon now on the additional parts you're fabricating.

Regarding the fuel tank kerfuffle, check our the blackenit options from caswell........alum. tank with some properly dipped/aged straps holding it in place could be the ticket for you.  The tank is far enough away from everything else that the "pop" of the aluminum in the chassis at the back of the truck could be just what you are looking for. 

My "sandblasting" operation is nothing but my air compressor and a $40. air brush that comes with the media material required.  Cheap to get into, but use it outside as that stuff can get everywhere with one "mis-guided" point of the nozzle. 

No matter what, a stellar build and it's so nice to see your progress.   cheers tim. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Still watching, still enjoying this build!  

Thanks Jim!  I hope that the duration of this project will not discourage you to continue to come and visit from time to time! 😊

5 hours ago, Codi said:

Hi Francis, been too long but boy did you stumble upon something.  I like all that you've made and you'll ultimately decide what is the best color scheme / finish when it's time.  What color is the body going to be btw?    That should definitely factor into what colors and finishes you decide upon now on the additional parts you're fabricating.

Regarding the fuel tank kerfuffle, check our the blackenit options from caswell........alum. tank with some properly dipped/aged straps holding it in place could be the ticket for you.  The tank is far enough away from everything else that the "pop" of the aluminum in the chassis at the back of the truck could be just what you are looking for. 

My "sandblasting" operation is nothing but my air compressor and a $40. air brush that comes with the media material required.  Cheap to get into, but use it outside as that stuff can get everywhere with one "mis-guided" point of the nozzle. 

No matter what, a stellar build and it's so nice to see your progress.   cheers tim. 

Thanks for your comments and suggestions Tim!

As you said so well, the body color will have a lot of impact on the details and the color choice or finish of some of them.  I'm not committing myself yet on the body color because I've already changed my mind more than once on this subject...   It's one of the most intimidating thing of the project and also one of the most important!  I could say that I'm almost 100% sure of my choice but I'm saving the surprise for a little later, I'm not a day away from it considering the time invested so far...  By the way, I'm glad to see you back, your work is a great source of inspiration!

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Fun to watch a masterpiece in the making .

Thanks Ray!  Your appreciation of my project intimidates me a bit considering the quality of the topics on this forum but I will continue to do my best not to disappoint you!

On 11/28/2021 at 10:15 AM, mustang1989 said:

Been too long not being here but then I come back and see this. HOLY frickin' COW!!! What else will you think of Francis? Off the frickin' charts man.

Thanks Captain Obvious!   I'm really glad to see you back my friend, just a few more small parts to make and I'll get my compressor running to put some color on this thing... wish me luck!!!

17 hours ago, charlie libby said:

so many awesome parts to look at.fuel tank,battery and radiator tank. very nice ! i am glad you are finding more time.is it winter way up there yet?

Thanks Charlie!  You bet winter showed up, I raked leaves on Monday of last week and shoveled a foot of snow the following Saturday!  I put my rake away for the winter and my shovel is on the edge of the door, there is still snow in the forecast.  I'm making slow progress on this project but it's nothing new... 😁

Hello everyone!

Sorry guys, but it seems like my updates are always smaller, this one is probably the smallest I can make... but I think it will have a big impact on the front view!  I hope you like it, I'm very happy with the final result, I've been scratching my head since the beginning of this project to find a way to do it and even if it's not perfect, it will do the job!

Feel free to comment or request more information if you wish!

Take care, it seems we are not out of the woods yet with this... virus, Francis

Front grille ornament in the rotary table at early stage.491_100_Ornament_Prog_1.JPG.d27fe9e22720aec5b48c62cb6c243b1e.JPG

Ornament at an advanced stage of machining.492_100_Ornament_Prog_2.JPG.c11f6486f3f61cfcae5f6993846abc4f.JPG

I painted the background red and used 2-part epoxy to attach the numbers.493_100_Ornament_Final_1.JPG.e0b7609db51ee38b7369064144afc0cd.JPG

Test fit on the front grille with the big dime!494_100_Ornament_Final_2.JPG.224ce1653f8ab01cfdd053a7da73225b.JPG

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cobraman said:

Wow ! You don't miss a trick. I always look forward to your next installment. You never disappoint .

Thanks Ray!  My original goal was to build all the parts by myself.  Except for the seats, tires and small bolts, I can say that it will be 99% mission accomplished.... LOL.

22 hours ago, crazyjim said:

You gotta be kidding me!!  That piece is so tiny.  Fantastic work.

Thanks Jim!  I can't go any smaller anyway, I used my smallest end mill, sometimes you just have to say enough is enough! 😁

22 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Simply beautiful work, Francis! I found a Ford script in my stash that I plan to use similarly on my Model A, when I get back around to it!

Thanks Daniel!  Luckily mine is not a FORD, I wouldn't be able to do these characters!

12 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

WAW Francis, i have no words for what i see here, i love how thos details turned out, question, whta you use to mark the aluminum part before start working on them, i see a purple or blue mark on top before you complete them...?

Thanks Marcos, the purple is machinist's tracing dye, a common product in the machining industry, it is very useful for making sharp guide lines on surfaces to be machined.

4 hours ago, Bainford said:

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks Trevor,  I have fewer and fewer parts left to make but I hope I can keep your enthusiasm until the end, it's fuel for my tank! 😉

On 12/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, Straightliner59 said:

I didn't think of it,  until I ran across some tiny photo-etched Ford scripts, in a drawer of parts and pieces! Then, the wheels started turning!

I've already thought about getting some equipment to make my own photo etched parts but I already have enough toys on my workbench.  Sometimes you have to stop, I don't make a living with this... 😁

On 12/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, Ian McLaren said:

Francis you just keep raising the bar, well done my friend!

Thanks Ian, now I have to finish it...

21 hours ago, Nazz said:

Another great chapter Francis, the grill ornament looks great!  I can't wait for the next chapter!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I think I'm up to chapter 100... 😂

18 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

It's been a long time since I commented, but I have been following. As always, amazing and inspirational. I originally opened the 100 badge pics on my phone, but I could not see it. I have to good to my big screen computer. WOW.

Thanks Scott, sometimes it's not the biggest or most extravagant part that gets the most comments!  I have to admit that this little grille ornament will be quite prominent when the truck is displayed.  By the way, I can't wait to see your next update on your great FXI Trucking Hot Rod Peterbuilt project!