Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 12/7/2021 at 4:41 PM, Scott8950 said:

What can be said that hasn't already been said? Francis this thing is absolutely amazing. 

Thanks Scott!  I'm almost done with the fabrication of the components.  I will soon move on to the body preparation for painting and it will be a bit more complicated than usual due to the way I built the cab among other things...   A lot of masking and manipulation in sight, it won't be a single airbrush session to put color on this truck!

Thank you for your continued support, I really appreciate it! 😊

20 hours ago, chris chabre said:

work of art!!!

Thanks for the superlative Chris but let's just say it's unfinished business at the moment...  Even though this is by far the most complicated project I've been involved in so far, I will work hard to get it to the finish line, believe me! 😊

Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned in one of my last posts (or replies...), I am close to finishing all the parts for this project and am now in the final details before painting it.  The ''100'' badge on the grille was for me a kind of must-have because it is very distinctive and I had in mind another typical detail of this model, the refrigerator type door handles.  Most of the work was done by hand with many hours of filing and sanding and although they are not perfect replicas, I think they are convincing enough for those who are familiar with these trucks.  You are the judges so don't hesitate to send me your comments!   Next, I will work on the interior door handles, window cranks and then probably the exterior side mirror.

See you next time, Francis

Base of the door handle after some hours of work, one done one to go...618_Door_Handle_Prog_1.JPG.e81b4d6e8a03ab52c387f2a8dd7f1600.JPG

The two little brothers together.619_Door_Handle_Prog_2.JPG.60dcd05dffdb241a09b03c5d1b8ece1c.JPG

The ''refrigerator type'' handle in the milling chuck at early stage of machining.620_Door_Handle_Prog_3.JPG.4b1aecf1e27ee1efe384a82a415c3265.JPG

After some hours of work, one done one to go (a well-known refrain...).621_Door_Handle_Prog_4.JPG.2732f24eb4c8dc61688361197bebf557.JPG

The two brothers at final stage.622_Door_Handle_Prog_5.JPG.096100a8abf7a12273ff662c23637aaa.JPG

Different view.623_Door_Handle_Prog_6.JPG.d0e24eac541ac639187b37dcffd672e2.JPG

Test fit with the lock barrel in place, not bad I think... certainly better than nothing. 😁624_Door_Handle_Prog_7.JPG.7ee5e04803c4895a00d401c29dd9a8c2.JPG

• Like 1

Another great update Francis, I have been away for a bit in our local cardiology ward and have just returned home.  Looking at the door handles made me wonder where you get your dimensions from?  The handle looks spot on, but it's dimensions are not something you can look up for reference, do you have access to a real D100.  Just curious.

5 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Another great update Francis, I have been away for a bit in our local cardiology ward and have just returned home.  Looking at the door handles made me wonder where you get your dimensions from?  The handle looks spot on, but it's dimensions are not something you can look up for reference, do you have access to a real D100.  Just curious.

Thanks Ian!

Unfortunately not, everything I did on this project was based on photos found on the internet and as for the other parts of the body, I just assumed their sizes and transferred my measurements to their actual sizes to figure out if it made sense.  Sometimes, some of the adjacent objects are everyday objects whose real size is well known and it helps to interpret the size of the piece I want to reproduce.  There is probably nothing on my truck with exact measurements but when the whole thing makes sense, I think we can say mission accomplished... 😁

By the way, you mention: "I've been a bit absent in our local cardiology department", I hope everything is going well for you or your loved ones?

Francis

Francis my friend, your craftsmanship is just amazing. I have no idea how you create these individual masterpieces. When this build is complete, I’m certain that it will set, and significantly raise the bar for all scale models. It truly is incredible work sir. I hope I get to see this in person some day.

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Steve H said:

Francis my friend, your craftsmanship is just amazing. I have no idea how you create these individual masterpieces. When this build is complete, I’m certain that it will set, and significantly raise the bar for all scale models. It truly is incredible work sir. I hope I get to see this in person some day.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve, thank you so much for your support and the very kind words, I really appreciate it!  

I will soon celebrate the second year of my presence and this project on this forum although I had started this project several months before, I think it's high time to end it and move on!  I'm going to move on to painting in the next few days and finish the last few pieces while the paint cures completely.  I only hope that I can do my painting with the same success (good taste too...) and the great skill that you have always shown us in your subjects.

As for seeing the finished product in person, I hope it will happen one day because I would also be happy to put a face on the man behind all the great work you keep showing us in each of your new threads! 😊

Francis

On 12/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, Nazz said:

Another amazing chapter Francis. Those door handles are superb!  I think i will stay away from my bench for a while and sulk.LOL

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

On 12/20/2021 at 2:32 PM, Bainford said:

The door handles are a fantastic detail. Well done!

Thanks Trevor!

On 12/20/2021 at 3:27 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Those door handles are amazing. Can't image the time invested. Obviously the process was simple remove everything that wasn't the door handle.  LOL

This is a stunning piece of art work in the making. Looking forward to viewing the final product.

Thanks Bob!  I will soon put some color on the body, I just have some small details to do that require handling the body before starting my airbrush. I hope to show you some color in early 2022!

On 12/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, charlie libby said:

every time i check your progress it makes me smile , your work is just so nice.the doorhandle and the grille emblem are outstanding. have a great holiday.charlie

Thanks Charlie, I hope to keep you smiling!  Great Holidays to you my friend.

Hello everyone,

Today I'm updating the thread with the details of the inside of the doors.  I still have to make the side mirror and I will make a pair of reinforcements for the bed, they will be tubes that will be mounted on both sides of the fenders inside the bed to prevent them from vibrating at high speed.  You'll see, my plan is done and a picture is worth a thousand words as they say!!!

I work during the holiday season (except for the days off provided for in the collective agreement) so I won't be able to do as much as I would have liked.  Anyway, I have a good part of the project completed, it will soon be the assembly process and endless details... 🙄

Merry Christmas to all.

Francis

Interior door handle, it was much easier to do than the exterior ones...628_Inside_Door_Details_Prog_1.JPG.d3e7f78406639429316d57efe067c9dc.JPG

The twins. Big pieces of aluminum for such small parts...629_Inside_Door_Details_Prog_2.JPG.ad57a01cb71d1ef58ea1d526377b4273.JPG

Armrests are mostly handmade.630_Inside_Door_Details_Prog_3.JPG.1d1d7dfdb7bad8f9cf4a2810053dac15.JPG

The window cranks are made in two parts.631_Inside_Door_Details_Prog_4.JPG.f748e655573362c63feb819058574c9a.JPG

The components in place, it should do the trick...632_Inside_Door_Details_Test_1.JPG.5b4ccde2f21c63293a541f5891ce2471.JPG

From another angle.  The window arches will be installed at the very end before painting as they will be rather fragile... 😓633_Inside_Door_Details_Test_2.JPG.d6f4904d9ac65270396b18f2c0934462.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, Mattilacken said:

Wow!

Thanks Anton!  One word that means a lot to me... 😊

On 12/22/2021 at 7:12 PM, Nazz said:

Darn right  wow!

Jerry

Thanks again Jerry!

On 12/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, Belairconvertable said:

Francis, this is by far the best model car build I have ever seen. Your metal craftsmanship is amazing.

Thanks for your very kind words Ryan, I really appreciate them but there are a lot of amazing projects on this forum!

It's just a bunch of parts for now but I hope to show you a complete model in the next few months!   As much as I love this truck I can't wait to start a new project the parts making is by far my favorite part of this wonderful hobby!

Merry Christmas to all, Francis

23 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh Francis, smiling again!  Who would ever think to machine door handles and guards in 1:25?  Yes, you are a sensational modeler!

Greetings, and a very Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

Looking forward to viewing updates in the New Year!

Mike..

Thanks Mike!

I am always honored to receive your kind comments, your extraordinary work always pushes me to go a little further.  Some details may seem like a lot of effort for little visibility in the end but the goal is to have fun doing them.  I still have a lot of fun and I'm glad to know that it still makes you smile... 😊

Happy holidays to you and your loved ones too, I hope the best is yet to come!

Francis

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I absolutely love seeing the things you do with machines! Simply beautiful work. As I have mentioned, before--your work has inspired me to actually use my mill, more often. I'm taking baby steps, but, those are better than no steps! I thank you for that, my friend! 

Thank you Daniel, your tenacity is an example for all of us and I am very honored if my work is a source of inspiration for you.  I can say the same for your great ingenuity which never ceases to amaze me, the pleasure of making is present in everything you do and it is the basis of what makes this hobby last!

Happy holidays and happy building my friend.

Francis

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

the pleasure of making is present in everything you do and it is the basis of what makes this hobby last!

I have known more than one person who "retired from modeling"! Retire? From a hobby?! Hobbies are what we should retire TO, aren't they? It seems to me, that if you "retire from a hobby", then you were doing it for all the wrong reasons, to begin with. That's not what any of this should be about! Carry on, my friend. The work that makes you happy, like Mike said, above, makes many of us smile, too!

• Like 1

Francis, as Mike said, “Who would have thought to add door handles and guards in 1:25?”  Who indeed, other than you that is?  But what part of a Swiss watch would you omit, without effecting the splendor of the final product?  The sum of the parts will combine to present the amazing example of your mastery!  Final assembly is what always makes me cringe, but for you, everything goes together with such precision, that the resulting masterpiece will be truly exciting for us all to behold!

Merry Christmas to you and your family my friend!

TCOTT