Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Francis, I wish my vocabulary was extensive enough to express what I've seen, as we all have. The posts of this truck are like going to class and learning and being inspired. I've taken some screenshots of your pics and now need to shrink them in Photoshop to better understand what your truck would look like in person. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. I look forward to more.

Dave

Francis,my congrats about Lenco shifter! I know how hard can it be to put such little things together, when you limited in place!

Thanks to you - I also now know what Lenco shifter is! Not completely, but I have an idea.

I very like your alternator!

Top notch, as alaways!  O1GQFn.gif

Edited by Sergey

On 3/29/2022 at 9:40 PM, GoatGuy said:

Francis, I wish my vocabulary was extensive enough to express what I've seen, as we all have. The posts of this truck are like going to class and learning and being inspired. I've taken some screenshots of your pics and now need to shrink them in Photoshop to better understand what your truck would look like in person. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. I look forward to more.

Dave

Thanks for your kind words Dave!  This thing has been on my workspace for so long that I feel like I'm not making a lot of progress...   The last few miles are the hardest and I hope I don't get any bad surprises before I cross the finish line!  I'm glad to know that my photos and explanations are of some interest, it takes a lot of my time but I'm honored that it is appreciated and highlighted.  More pictures to come soon !

On 3/30/2022 at 4:10 AM, Straightliner59 said:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were just posting cleverly Photoshopped photos of a real vehicle. Some of you guys are truly raising the bar! That's exciting, to me! And, it does need to be at Salt Lake.

Thanks Daniel,  You set the bar very high yourself, your work is an inspiration to everyone and I always find great tips in your posts!  Your continued support is greatly appreciated my friend!

On 4/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, Sergey said:

Francis,my congrats about Lenco shifter! I know how hard can it be to put such little things together, when you limited in place!

Thanks to you - I also now know what Lenco shifter is! Not completely, but I have an idea.

I very like your alternator!

Top notch, as alaways!  O1GQFn.gif

Thanks Sergey!  Most of the details of the Lenco shifter and the parachute deployment system will be quite hidden with all the elements in place (seats, roll bar) but I think it was worth doing it just for my personal satisfaction.  The cockpit is rather small, fortunately the doors will be open to allow a better view during the shows.

I had a lot of fun making the alternator and I'm honored that you like it, I put a lot of effort under the hood, it's often one of the major points of interest but I hope the whole model will be a success... 😊

Thanks to all of you, Francis

19 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

It's been a while since I commented on the thread, but I'm always checking. Just amazing. Every detail screams cool.

Thanks Scott !  The next update will be on the bed assembly, so check back in a few days, I want to have a little more done before I post the photos.

It's been almost 1 year since you last updated your thread on the FXI Hot Rod Peterbilt, this project is really cool and I hope you didn't give up, you did so much work on it...

Francis

Hello everyone,

Time flies when you're doing what you love...  It's almost time to get back to work so I wanted to show you my latest progress in the D100 bed.  The assembly is not fully completed as I still need to install the two brass brackets that are bolted to the bed fenders.  In fact, I want to do a little polishing and waxing before I install them for good.  As you can see, I found some other little missing details that I made and I hope you will like them.

The assembly continues, I'll get back to you later with more pictures as I progress in the project.

Your comments are always welcome,

Francis

Fuel filter in progress in the rotary table.693_Fuel_Filter_Prog.JPG.4ac8448a070ba1ae2babdec5ab16c7da.JPG

Fuel filter support in progress in the rotary table.694_Fuel_Filter_Bracket.JPG.c59b5028713099658bd98f970f59b1b7.JPG

Final parts.695_Fuel_Filter_Final.JPG.3a1007fb496b990802a22b07e718fce2.JPG

Fuel cell vent made in aluminum.696_Fuel_Tank_Vent.JPG.4f08a516a4c0db6c0ee33fb97510c4a5.JPG

Different view.697_Fuel_Tank_Vent_2.JPG.531edbb2dd5208955c69f5bcb668da8d.JPG

Close-up view of the battery and the kill switch.700_Bed_Assembly_3.JPG.7423a06ed5ed4307a5bcc9557bf5d98f.JPG

View of the installed in line fuel filter and the fuel cell, I think it looks good in black, what do you think?699_Bed_Assembly_2.JPG.60559a64aa810fa5898735a68373cde2.JPG

Overview of the bed and components installed so far.  The brass bolt heads visible in the bed floor connect to the frame supports and hold the bed in place.698_Bed_Assembly_1.JPG.2ce89c2cb6b2b5cab70b77d85fcf9a87.JPG

I drilled 3 holes on the taillights to simulate the mounting screws.701_Taillight_Closeup.JPG.3502f6321cc77628629d04de0f1229bf.JPG

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Very nice, Francis. What size bit did you use for the tail light screw holes?

Thanks Trevor,  I think I used a 0.016" carbide drill bit.

I didn't have smaller enough head screws so I just fill the holes with my Molotow marker and polished the lens surface, I think the illusion is acceptable... 🤫

Every little detail you add Francis is a major minor project in itself. You make it look so easy…I’d like to see the small pile of rejects and broken bits you must have laying around.😜 The fuel cell does indeed look like a poly tank and adds a nice bit of contrast. I’ll likely never see this in person so thanks for taking the time to document your build in this thread and all the fantastic photos! 👍👍👍

Edited by NOBLNG

On 4/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, NOBLNG said:

Every little detail you add Francis is a major minor project in itself. You make it look so easy…I’d like to see the small pile of rejects and broken bits you must have laying around.😜 The fuel cell does indeed look like a poly tank and adds a nice bit of contrast. I’ll likely never see this in person so thanks for taking the time to document your build in this thread and all the fantastic photos! 👍👍👍

Thanks Greg!  I try hard to keep my junk pile as small as possible, it takes me a long time to do all these little things and I don't want to start over as much as possible.... 😁  The decision to paint a well-machined aluminum part is sometimes difficult or questionable, but it's the end result that counts.

I like to share photos of the making process but sometimes I get carried away with the project and forget to take photos along the way, I am always open to explaining the method used if asked!

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Like the pump and the black tank Francis.  Keep at it, there's still plenty of good stuff to come yet I'm sure!   cheers, tim

Thanks for the comment Tim!  However, the part next to the tank (first part shown in the post) is an inline fuel filter, the fuel pump was installed a few months ago underneath the rear of the truck opposite the tank.  This is the first time I saw this model, I came across it while doing a search on the web and I thought it was different from what we usually see.

Francis

Having a miniature lathe and milling machine makes the manufacture of many things possible that cannot be done by hand, or be very difficult. The big drawback of course is the initial financial outlay for good quality machines like the Sherline, Taig or Unimat. This model demonstrates this admirably!

But for model makers mainly into plastic kits the little Unimat 1 modular machine would be a good starting point, and may well be worth looking at as it can be configured. Look at the UK  Hobbies or Hobbys websites to give you an idea of the versatility of this little modular machine tool and all the different accessories available. Micro Mark or someone similar may carry it in the USA.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:37 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Having a miniature lathe and milling machine makes the manufacture of many things possible that cannot be done by hand, or be very difficult. The big drawback of course is the initial financial outlay for good quality machines like the Sherline, Taig or Unimat. This model demonstrates this admirably!

But for model makers mainly into plastic kits the little Unimat 1 modular machine would be a good starting point, and may well be worth looking at as it can be configured. Look at the UK  Hobbies or Hobbys websites to give you an idea of the versatility of this little modular machine tool and all the different accessories available. Micro Mark or someone similar may carry it in the USA.

Thank you Noel !

The Sherline equipment and accessories that I have cost me a lot of money and even more because I live in Canada.  The Canadian currency has been devalued a lot in the last few years and all these beautiful tools have cost me at least 40% more for this reason, not to mention the expensive shipping fees.  Despite everything, I chose to equip myself because this hobby is mine and I had the financial means to acquire them, I am rather thrifty and reasonable in my expenses what allowed me this extravagance.

In all modesty, I am able to make all these details in a manual way, the lathe and the milling machine allow me to do it with more precision, that brings me more satisfaction in my search of the impossible perfection...

Everyone takes this hobby to their own level and that's the beauty of it, a hobby where you express your dreams and tastes in your own way, the goal being to find satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment!  Let's just say it's a bonus if it pleases those who take the time to visit and comment! 😊

Francis

22 hours ago, Butter 1 said:

Hey Francis. You must be close to getting this masterpiece completed. Stay the course my friend!!!!

Thanks Ron!  I'm getting a little closer to the finish line every day I can work on it, the final assembly is long and worth the time when you've spent so many hours making all these parts.

My parts bin is almost empty, this project will be completed in the next few weeks!

Francis

Francis, I have invested in a small Unimat 4 larthe and a small milling machine. The investment has been well worth it over the years since I bought them both as I started to do some scratch building as well as making parts to improve models. The scope these machines give for accuracy in my builds has been really good and has enabled me to take my modelling up a notch or two. Machines allow better repeatability than making things purely by hand I have found. Of course there are still many things on my models that are done by hand out of necessity.

I have been looking at what those guys who can program and use 3D printers can do that are taking making parts into a new realm of realism altogether. But a bit too complex for me tbough!

23 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Coming along nicely. Nice touch on the taillights. 

Thanks Bob, sometimes it's the most unexpected things that produce the most reactions...  I came close to not photographing this detail because I found it rather insignificant.  I'm glad you liked it, I guess it was worth it!

Francis

16 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Francis, I have invested in a small Unimat 4 larthe and a small milling machine. The investment has been well worth it over the years since I bought them both as I started to do some scratch building as well as making parts to improve models. The scope these machines give for accuracy in my builds has been really good and has enabled me to take my modelling up a notch or two. Machines allow better repeatability than making things purely by hand I have found. Of course there are still many things on my models that are done by hand out of necessity.

I have been looking at what those guys who can program and use 3D printers can do that are taking making parts into a new realm of realism altogether. But a bit too complex for me tbough!

I agree with you all the way Noel !  The level of satisfaction I get from machining my own parts is priceless and takes my hobby to the next level.  Everyone has their own priorities and budget restrictions, it is not for everyone and everyone finds satisfaction in their own way.  There must be 95% of modelers who don't have this kind of equipment and who are (rightly) proud of their results.

Being a computer graphics designer myself (in my previous career) I am very interested in 3D technology because I know the vector base of the files required for printing. However, I'm not ready to invest in it yet because I find that there are still too many limitations to the printing of very small details at the 1/25 scale that I work on.  I have to admit that the non-existent car or truck models available in 3D files make it another temptation... 🙄

Francis

14 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I love that touch, with the taillights! I will be stealing that idea!😁 You're closing in, friend. It's going to be killer!

Steal it Daniel, you are generous with your innovations and you have already given a lot so far, your account is still in credit... 😉

Francis

You are right Francis, there are many modellers out there without miniature machines who turn out fantastic creations and all credit to their skills. Many of the things done on machine can be done by hand. It just takes a bit longer to do with a bit of ingenuity.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1