Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

STUNING! I guess i just don't know what to say . everyone has said it all. i agree with all there comments. to beautiful. i would so much like to stand close to look at it,just to make sure its not a real 1 to 1 truck.thanks for showing us all what you have created . charlie 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello Everyone!

Done, Terminé, Completado, Abgeschlossen !!!

It's over guys, after 4 years on my bench, I can now say that this adventure is over.  For all of you who have followed this build from the beginning, I cannot express how grateful and honoured I am to have received your feedback and support.  Since the beginning of this long project, I have met an incredible number of passionate people here, learned many new techniques and found an inexhaustible source of advice from all the talented modellers on this forum.  I can only wish long life to this forum and this wonderful hobby !
With this build, my first goal was to reproduce in styrene the body and the interior as close as possible to the original based on pictures and references found on the internet.  The mechanics and chassis components are pure fantasy and some technical aspects have been addressed and modified with the help of comments from friends more knowledgeable than me on the subject.
This unlikely truck is a mix of everything I love, that sixties body style, a big healthy engine, a flashy color and wide tires.
The real connoisseurs will probably find a lot of technical flaws, but it's just a hobby that allows me to satisfy my search for precision and to make my brain work during my too short moments of free time, obligations and responsibilities of life come first !
Now it's time to clean my bench and think about my next project.  It will be strange for me to not see this thing on my workspace anymore but it's high time to move on.
This is a good time to get it over with as summer is not my most productive season with all the maintenance work that the summer season brings, it will give me time to find motivation and choose the next subject as they are rather long on my workspace.

For those who are interested, I have created a thread in "Under Glass" (Model Trucks: Pickups, Vans, SUV’s, Light Commercial) where you will find the majority of the final photos.  Some of them are a little blurry, I'm obviously more comfortable behind the milling machine than with the camera, I'll try to take a few more outdoor pics when time permits.

Thanks, Francis

728_Final_UnderGlass_8.JPG.c583282efed69ad8715f407fec7358e7.JPG729_Final_UnderGlass_9.JPG.d06911c0ad3d99bef25cb151b65dde37.JPG731_Final_UnderGlass_11.JPG.a017ac122fb7f4c11c55c6a1a85277aa.JPG734_Final_UnderGlass_14.JPG.55082fb85e26221087f41e8dee3ed616.JPG737_Final_UnderGlass_17.JPG.b91dbecd6a258917d24e9198d9555b27.JPG

Ayoye! In a positive way. Félicitations Françis. Are you taking a break or syarting on a new one?

On 7/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, charlie libby said:

STUNING! I guess i just don't know what to say . everyone has said it all. i agree with all there comments. to beautiful. i would so much like to stand close to look at it,just to make sure its not a real 1 to 1 truck.thanks for showing us all what you have created . charlie 

Thanks Charlie !

You know, there's a lot that happens in 4 years and maybe today I would do some aspect of the build differently.  I think it's called evolving and learning and I've learned a lot from the feats that are done on this forum.  You are certainly one of those who inspire me my friend!

I hope you will be part of my next adventure !!!

Francis

On 7/5/2022 at 6:43 PM, landman said:

Ayoye! In a positive way. Félicitations Françis. Are you taking a break or syarting on a new one?

Thank you for your kind comments Pat !

You know how short the summer is north of the border, especially in Quebec, so I'm going to take a little break and come back next fall with a new project.  I have too many ideas at the moment and I have to sort through them all because I have them on my workspace for a long time, so I have to choose the right one...

Merci encore,

Francis

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 3:44 PM, charlie libby said:

i am trying to keep my concentration on this. i have a 1/12 1969 camaro thats next and it keeps creeping into my mind. trying to figure out how to make a set of minilite wheels in aluminum or brass and paint them.. hmmmm?

8x15+Minilite+mag+style+wheel.jpg

Did you ever get the wheels made? I know a link on u-tube where a jeweler made a set. It is perfect for what you want.

Hi Frances. Being new to this magazine forum, (not the magazine),  I was actually shocked to see this article! I am currently working on a 1965 D100 model of my old shop truck I used to own. (I also built a 1964 D100 Pro Street truck back in the mid-80s so I needed a shop truck to tow it. lol) So I spent the last week reading every post and comment. I will not go into a long paragraph giving my adulation and respect for what I saw of your skills and human kindness to everyone. I really have a couple of questions about your model and such.

First, how many drill bits did you go through on this build? (Seriously).

Second, what did you use to file the aluminum? (A regular file would clog really fast on aluminum.)

Last: Since you referenced NHRA rules throughout the build process, why did you decide to run rubber fuel hose from the fuel tank to the engine? NHRA rules allow for only 12" total of rubber fuel hose and even a stock vehicle has hard fuel line with only rubber hose to connect it. I am just curious and this has NO reflection on your choice.

Thank you for presenting more than just a final picture. This presentation has helped me learn a few things too! Like a new way to solder!

Respectfully, Bob

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 9:30 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello Everyone!

Done, Terminé, Completado, Abgeschlossen !!!

It's over guys, after 4 years on my bench, I can now say that this adventure is over.  For all of you who have followed this build from the beginning, I cannot express how grateful and honoured I am to have received your feedback and support.  Since the beginning of this long project, I have met an incredible number of passionate people here, learned many new techniques and found an inexhaustible source of advice from all the talented modellers on this forum.  I can only wish long life to this forum and this wonderful hobby !
With this build, my first goal was to reproduce in styrene the body and the interior as close as possible to the original based on pictures and references found on the internet.  The mechanics and chassis components are pure fantasy and some technical aspects have been addressed and modified with the help of comments from friends more knowledgeable than me on the subject.
This unlikely truck is a mix of everything I love, that sixties body style, a big healthy engine, a flashy color and wide tires.
The real connoisseurs will probably find a lot of technical flaws, but it's just a hobby that allows me to satisfy my search for precision and to make my brain work during my too short moments of free time, obligations and responsibilities of life come first !
Now it's time to clean my bench and think about my next project.  It will be strange for me to not see this thing on my workspace anymore but it's high time to move on.
This is a good time to get it over with as summer is not my most productive season with all the maintenance work that the summer season brings, it will give me time to find motivation and choose the next subject as they are rather long on my workspace.

For those who are interested, I have created a thread in "Under Glass" (Model Trucks: Pickups, Vans, SUV’s, Light Commercial) where you will find the majority of the final photos.  Some of them are a little blurry, I'm obviously more comfortable behind the milling machine than with the camera, I'll try to take a few more outdoor pics when time permits.

Thanks, Francis

My God man!! spacer.pngUn frickin' believeable!!! More comments in your finished thread my brother.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 7:36 AM, ModelFabWorx said:

Hi Frances. Being new to this magazine forum, (not the magazine),  I was actually shocked to see this article! I am currently working on a 1965 D100 model of my old shop truck I used to own. (I also built a 1964 D100 Pro Street truck back in the mid-80s so I needed a shop truck to tow it. lol) So I spent the last week reading every post and comment. I will not go into a long paragraph giving my adulation and respect for what I saw of your skills and human kindness to everyone. I really have a couple of questions about your model and such.

First, how many drill bits did you go through on this build? (Seriously).

Second, what did you use to file the aluminum? (A regular file would clog really fast on aluminum.)

Last: Since you referenced NHRA rules throughout the build process, why did you decide to run rubber fuel hose from the fuel tank to the engine? NHRA rules allow for only 12" total of rubber fuel hose and even a stock vehicle has hard fuel line with only rubber hose to connect it. I am just curious and this has NO reflection on your choice.

Thank you for presenting more than just a final picture. This presentation has helped me learn a few things too! Like a new way to solder!

Respectfully, Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for your kind comments on my build.

As you probably read in my posts, this build is the result of my love for this body style and the rarity of the subject was also a kind of motivation to try to recreate it from scratch, this was my first attempt to create a complete body from almost zero (the FORD body being the starting point).

You may be surprised to learn that I've broken more tools by dropping them on the floor or putting them back in their boxes than by machining the parts, I've learned over the years that you have to go carefully rather than having to start over...

I only use small Swiss pattern files and always have a small steel brush to clean it after a few passes.  T6 aluminum is pretty hard so it cleans up pretty easily, the Styrene parts tend to clog them up even more and need frequent cleaning.

As far as the NHRA rules are concerned, I am not an expert and I don't build with all the rules in mind, it's only a scale model but I try to respect the subtleties as much as possible.  When a connoisseur mentions such details to me, I try to correct the situation without making it a priority, I only do this to have a good time and discuss with enthusiasts like you and me.

A big thank you for pointing out this detail, I will take it into consideration for my next project as it will most certainly be a "quarter mile" car type and I will try to respect this kind of detail even more.

I don't know if you have a project in progress but it will always be a pleasure to discuss the subject, 😊

Francis

15 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

My God man!! spacer.pngUn frickin' believeable!!! More comments in your finished thread my brother.

Thank you Joe my friend, you have been a part of this project from the beginning and your comments have a special place in my heart!

I don't spend much time on the forum these days but I'll check out and comment on your good work soon. 😉

Francis

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2022 at 5:32 AM, Zippi said:

Fantastic job.  Such Great detail work and the paint is fitting for this magnificent looking Dodge pickup. 

Thanks for the kind words Bob, the pick-up will be in competition on October 16 at the Quebec scale model exhibition, it will be its first "live" test and I can't wait to see how it will be perceived by visitors.  No one except my dad and brother has seen it in person since I finished it, I hope it will be well received.

Francis

On 10/2/2022 at 3:38 AM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

i haven't been around here for the longest, this is amazing man, totally a piece of art

Thank you for your appreciation of my truck Marcos, it is much appreciated !

I hope that all is well on your side and that there is nothing serious that has kept you away from the forum these last months.  We all have priorities in life, so time available for hobbies is sometimes hard to come by, but it should be used and enjoyed when it is available.

I hope to see you back in the saddle soon. 😊

Francis

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:43 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank you for your appreciation of my truck Marcos, it is much appreciated !

I hope that all is well on your side and that there is nothing serious that has kept you away from the forum these last months.  We all have priorities in life, so time available for hobbies is sometimes hard to come by, but it should be used and enjoyed when it is available.

I hope to see you back in the saddle soon. 😊

Francis

Thanks man, so far is good on my side, i did finish my Color me Gone project but haven't post nothing about it yet, like you said, life gets in the way but this time was for a good thing my family, we end up buying a hose for the very fist time there's been smile, tears but for the most more happiness for them, i'll see if i can post something soon

On 10/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, Gluebomb master said:

No doubt the best swept line model I've seen.

Thanks for your kind comment John, these trucks are not common in scale models and the rare options available (resin casting) are very expensive.

It took me a long time to make my own version, but I think the overall proportions are not bad, considering I only used photos found on the internet to reproduce it.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Francis

Congratulations Francis, a truly wonderful adventure. We all enjoyed the precise fabrication along with your excellent photos!

Who would have ever thought, to build such an old pickup, especially in this manner?  No one.  Then you come around and are just utterly present and killing all former aspects of styrene modeling!  Skill, decency and wonderful machining abilities, you own these traits.

The very best compliments to you, we'll meet gain.  Looking very much forward to this opportunity.

Greetings, Mike.

On 10/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, Mike Williams said:

Congratulations Francis, a truly wonderful adventure. We all enjoyed the precise fabrication along with your excellent photos!

Who would have ever thought, to build such an old pickup, especially in this manner?  No one.  Then you come around and are just utterly present and killing all former aspects of styrene modeling!  Skill, decency and wonderful machining abilities, you own these traits.

The very best compliments to you, we'll meet gain.  Looking very much forward to this opportunity.

Greetings, Mike.

Thanks Mike,

The adventure has also been wonderful for me because of all the good friends I've made along the way, and you are definitely one of them!

I learned a lot and I hope that I will be able to put all this to good use for my next project.

I hope that you will be part of the journey even if it will probably be different from the one I just completed.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Francis

On 8/7/2022 at 9:17 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hi Bob, thanks for your kind comments on my build.

As you probably read in my posts, this build is the result of my love for this body style and the rarity of the subject was also a kind of motivation to try to recreate it from scratch, this was my first attempt to create a complete body from almost zero (the FORD body being the starting point).

You may be surprised to learn that I've broken more tools by dropping them on the floor or putting them back in their boxes than by machining the parts, I've learned over the years that you have to go carefully rather than having to start over...

I only use small Swiss pattern files and always have a small steel brush to clean it after a few passes.  T6 aluminum is pretty hard so it cleans up pretty easily, the Styrene parts tend to clog them up even more and need frequent cleaning.

As far as the NHRA rules are concerned, I am not an expert and I don't build with all the rules in mind, it's only a scale model but I try to respect the subtleties as much as possible.  When a connoisseur mentions such details to me, I try to correct the situation without making it a priority, I only do this to have a good time and discuss with enthusiasts like you and me.

A big thank you for pointing out this detail, I will take it into consideration for my next project as it will most certainly be a "quarter mile" car type and I will try to respect this kind of detail even more.

I don't know if you have a project in progress but it will always be a pleasure to discuss the subject, 😊

Francis

Hi Francis,

Thanks for sharing your tips. I, too, have learned to never rush something. It never works out in the end.

I never would have mentioned anything about the NHRA and all but you did such a great job at replicating the truck I was just curious. And a tip for realism that might be useful when routing lines and wires from the rear to the front. (No matter what the subject is; stock or modified.) ALL fuel lines were metal from the tank to the engine. (Safety reasons). So now you understand why I asked about it. I can't be more happy with what I see you do with you skills and in no way mean any disrespect. The details are something we all deal with. Or those details we forgot!

I'm working on a few subjects but nothing to write home about. A 1975 Datsun pickup Gasser. lol

Thanks again,

Bob

On 10/21/2022 at 12:15 AM, ModelFabWorx said:

Hi Francis,

Thanks for sharing your tips. I, too, have learned to never rush something. It never works out in the end.

I never would have mentioned anything about the NHRA and all but you did such a great job at replicating the truck I was just curious. And a tip for realism that might be useful when routing lines and wires from the rear to the front. (No matter what the subject is; stock or modified.) ALL fuel lines were metal from the tank to the engine. (Safety reasons). So now you understand why I asked about it. I can't be more happy with what I see you do with you skills and in no way mean any disrespect. The details are something we all deal with. Or those details we forgot!

I'm working on a few subjects but nothing to write home about. A 1975 Datsun pickup Gasser. lol

Thanks again,

Bob

Hello again Bob,

The good thing is that we learn things and have a good time making models, it's what you might call a win-win situation.

I am what I dare to call an open-minded person and I can take a criticism or a positive observation (as you did), it only adds to my knowledge on the subject, that is what this forum is for I think.

Rest assured that my next build will have all the steel fuel piping from the back to the front (thanks to you) because I'm not thinking of building a plug-in electric car at this time.  We will probably be forced to switch to this mode of transportation sooner or later but I don't think I will switch to this type of motorization for my scale models... 😉

Francis