Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

1 hour ago, Ian McLaren said:

The master cylinder, the clutch and flywheel assembly  are simply incredible, virtually impossible to distinguish from photos of the real thing.

Thanks for the comments Ian!  I would probably be able to make these parts even more realistic but I have to find the balance between endless details and finish this thing before the motivation leaves me...  More to come soon!

Take care, Francis

21 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Too late.

You're probably right Tim!  The next update I'm currently working on will be a good and a bad example of both what I've written.  Balance is not easy to find...  Check back later, a picture is worth a thousand words!  Hope you don't feel too guilty... Hint, it's not on the frame... ?

Take care, Francis

Hello everyone,

With the current short Christmas break I have a bit more time ahead of me so I continue to progress with the cabin components.  Today's update is for the clutch/brake pedal assembly that I chosen to make with brass.  I drilled a hole in the part and welded a .046 "brass tube for the pivot point, a pin goes through them so they are sort of functional.  The pedal mounting bracket was made with a rectangular piece of Evergreen styrene but will be remade afterwards (due to my remorse) with 0.005 "brass foil to be more to scale (that's what I was talkigg about Tim (foghorn62)).  I am learning to work with brass and I must admit that this material brings great possibilities, I will try to use it more often.  The plunger is aligned with the brake master cylinder and inserted into its hole during final assembly.  I will probably stick some rubber padding on the pedals later, this will be part of the last details at the assembly process.  I still have the accelerator pedal to do, this thing must also be able to move forward...   Comments and questions are welcome.

Happy Holidays, Francis

Pedal made with 0.010" brass.  The brass pin is temporary and will be replaced with a machined aluminum one.382_Pedal_Mount_Progress_1.JPG.bd879fcc9f5554e411f24bbaa9699ac3.JPG

I think this is the smallest I can do.  The rod is 0.020" and the hole is 0.013" hand drilled.383_Pedal_Mount_Progress_2.JPG.8737dd2258a8565660da8b41b3755b34.JPG

The plunger will fit the master cylinder.384_Pedal_Mount_Progress_3.JPG.95aa617ed808eab68000a261686afca3.JPG

Pedals folded to accommodate the footrests.385_Pedal_Mount_Progress_4.JPG.52b84d4f419b7f8f4b93f6840280b884.JPG

Footrests welded in place.386_Pedal_Mount_Progress_5.JPG.d737a35b4370aca4ab6ec387b6a38e01.JPG

Different view.387_Pedal_Mount_Progress_6.JPG.abe8be3724edbc117e28a32f9aff8fe9.JPG

Seen from behind.388_Pedal_Mount_Progress_7.JPG.8094f2ed19a7c1bc4e10b720f08197c3.JPG

A quick position test.389_Pedal_Mount_Progress_9.JPG.b481a82de0138a8b96dd9f98ef10ff76.JPG

Mounting bracket redone in brass to be more to scale... sorry I couldn't resist...389b_Pedal_Mount_Brass_1.JPG.46655d8924fe2d95cef6bb6b606015e8.JPG

I think it was worth it... what do you think?389c_Pedal_Mount_Brass_2.JPG.97df226f347e96f98df9cf91a5cda356.JPG

It fits like a glove and pretty close to the 1:1 part.389d_Pedal_Mount_Brass_Test_1.JPG.e8c6faed004026e0f209e02bd52b64a3.JPG

The part will still be clearly visible when the truck is displayed with the doors open.389e_Pedal_Mount_Brass_Test_2.JPG.59093f8b9eb17e05372200cf8fba145a.JPG

22 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Very, very nice, Francis! Brass is a wonderful medium!

Thanks Daniel, I can't deny it my friend and you are putting it to good use too!

Nope, I don’t feel guilty at all!  If I somehow inspired, or at least nudged you into using brass to make such a beautiful part, then I am honored. It truly does make the scale look more correct, don’t you agree?

Thanks Tim,  You can definitely take some of the credit for this change to yourself, I hope you're not too disappointed it's not the ball joints, I know it's a lot less spectacular!

19 hours ago, cobraman said:

Fantastic work to be sure. Your chassis is super nice !

Thanks for the kind words Ray, I do appreciate!

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Beautiful!

Thanks Jim, always a pleasure to get your support sir!

14 hours ago, Bainford said:

Very nice detail.

Thank you Trevor, I really appreciate your comments!

Take care to each of you guys, Francis

Hello everyone,

I'm not used to posting other photos the day after an update but today is a special day, it's the first anniversary of this project on the forum! ?

I'm not the ceremonial type but I just wanted to mark this day so I worked on the accelerator yesterday so I could upload the pictures today.   I could have taken a photo with all the parts made for a year but it does not fit into the lens of the camera and I should have taken the photo from the depths of my workshop... ?

Thank you all for your support and feedback over the past year, I hope to keep you on board for the rest of the trip!

Take care, Francis

The throttle rod measures 0.020 "and is made of 2 rods welded perpendicularly to the pivot point. I wound up a 0.005" brass wire that came from a turn signal coil, this keeps the rod in place and centered.419_Gas_Pedal_Progress_1.JPG.0bc0fb1836e0dc18ba309f8ebd39697c.JPG

Finished part with the footrest welded to the rod.420_Gas_Pedal_Progress_2.JPG.a3c5eb000c06c90d6d16a21daf64d8eb.JPG

I drilled a small hole for the throttle wire but it won't move even if the assembly is functional.421_Gas_Pedal_Progress_3.JPG.6891dc6a10b0ffc6cc0a562e36c5df41.JPG

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Tim,  You can definitely take some of the credit for this change to yourself, I hope you're not too disappointed it's not the ball joints, I know it's a lot less spectacular!

Less spectacular?  Not by a long shot!  Everything you do is spectacular Francis!  Today’s entry is no exception.  Now Ron above opens the door for yet another level.  You have made all of the parts, not let’s see you put them together.  Working throttle connected to working linkage, and working butterflies in the carb.  Then you can connect your working break peddle to the working master cylinder, put juice in the lines, and connect them to your working calipers.  Really, it appears to me that the only thing missing is the fluid.

Congrats and thanks for bringing us along on your one year anniversary of this build thread Francis.  Sorry I jumped in so late, but at least I can still catch up.  I’m going to hold you to those ball joints though.  Mainly because they are holding up a build that I am working on and I want to copy what you come up with.  Even if I have to spend a few grand on new Sherline tools to do it.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone,

With the current short Christmas break I have a bit more time ahead of me so I continue to progress with the cabin components.  Today's update is for the clutch/brake pedal assembly that I chosen to make with brass.  I drilled a hole in the part and welded a .046 "brass tube for the pivot point, a pin goes through them so they are sort of functional.  The pedal mounting bracket was made with a rectangular piece of Evergreen styrene but will be remade afterwards (due to my remorse) with 0.005 "brass foil to be more to scale (that's what I was talkigg about Tim (foghorn62)).  I am learning to work with brass and I must admit that this material brings great possibilities, I will try to use it more often.  The plunger is aligned with the brake master cylinder and inserted into its hole during final assembly.  I will probably stick some rubber padding on the pedals later, this will be part of the last details at the assembly process.  I still have the accelerator pedal to do, this thing must also be able to move forward...   Comments and questions are welcome.

Happy Holidays, Francis

Pedal made with 0.010" brass.  The brass pin is temporary and will be replaced with a machined aluminum one.382_Pedal_Mount_Progress_1.JPG.bd879fcc9f5554e411f24bbaa9699ac3.JPG

I think this is the smallest I can do.  The rod is 0.020" and the hole is 0.013" hand drilled.383_Pedal_Mount_Progress_2.JPG.8737dd2258a8565660da8b41b3755b34.JPG

The plunger will fit the master cylinder.384_Pedal_Mount_Progress_3.JPG.95aa617ed808eab68000a261686afca3.JPG

Pedals folded to accommodate the footrests.385_Pedal_Mount_Progress_4.JPG.52b84d4f419b7f8f4b93f6840280b884.JPG

Footrests welded in place.386_Pedal_Mount_Progress_5.JPG.d737a35b4370aca4ab6ec387b6a38e01.JPG

Different view.387_Pedal_Mount_Progress_6.JPG.abe8be3724edbc117e28a32f9aff8fe9.JPG

Seen from behind.388_Pedal_Mount_Progress_7.JPG.8094f2ed19a7c1bc4e10b720f08197c3.JPG

A quick position test.389_Pedal_Mount_Progress_9.JPG.b481a82de0138a8b96dd9f98ef10ff76.JPG

Mounting bracket redone in brass to be more to scale... sorry I couldn't resist...389b_Pedal_Mount_Brass_1.JPG.46655d8924fe2d95cef6bb6b606015e8.JPG

I think it was worth it... what do you think?389c_Pedal_Mount_Brass_2.JPG.97df226f347e96f98df9cf91a5cda356.JPG

It fits like a glove and pretty close to the 1:1 part.389d_Pedal_Mount_Brass_Test_1.JPG.e8c6faed004026e0f209e02bd52b64a3.JPG

The part will still be clearly visible when the truck is displayed with the doors open.389e_Pedal_Mount_Brass_Test_2.JPG.59093f8b9eb17e05372200cf8fba145a.JPG

now that's a details that i never think of doing, will be my next in my list now, thanks for sharing man

23 hours ago, butter said:

The brass pedal bracket does look better.  Once again, nicely done.!! I am assuming functioning pedals and probably carb linkage when all is said and done?

Thanks for your trust on my capabilities Ron!  I'm sure someone somewhere can do this sort of thing, but I'll limit myself to attaching the cable to the carburetor linkage, that will be the furthest I get into details!

Take care, Francis

Less spectacular?  Not by a long shot!  Everything you do is spectacular Francis!  Today’s entry is no exception.  Now Ron above opens the door for yet another level.  You have made all of the parts, not let’s see you put them together.  Working throttle connected to working linkage, and working butterflies in the carb.  Then you can connect your working break peddle to the working master cylinder, put juice in the lines, and connect them to your working calipers.  Really, it appears to me that the only thing missing is the fluid.

Congrats and thanks for bringing us along on your one year anniversary of this build thread Francis.  Sorry I jumped in so late, but at least I can still catch up.  I’m going to hold you to those ball joints though.  Mainly because they are holding up a build that I am working on and I want to copy what you come up with.  Even if I have to spend a few grand on new Sherline tools to do it.

Thanks for the kind words and the fun science fiction film script Tim!   Thank you also for commenting on the first anniversary of the D100 thread my friend, it is never too late to join the parade and it would be good time for you to show the other members the high level work you are capable of.  I had the privilege of seeing some pictures of it and I can assure you that you have a lot to contribute on the subject in particular with your obvious talent for creations with brass.  You can be sure that I would be one of those interested!!!

Take care, Francis

11 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

now that's a details that i never think of doing, will be my next in my list now, thanks for sharing man

Thanks Marcos, I was just very inspired by the outstanding work done by other masters on the forum!   You yourself have some very interesting projects going on, my friend!!!

Just a little tip, when you quote a comment where there are photos published, you just have to select the text to comment (and click on quote), this will avoid including the photos and adding them to the thread.  This is absolutely not a complaint my friend, I am very grateful for your interest, I try to avoid adding photos to a thread where there are already a lot of them... and many more to come...!  ?

Take care, Francis

35 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for the kind words and the fun science fiction film script Tim!   Thank you also for commenting on the first anniversary of the D100 thread my friend, it is never too late to join the parade and it would be good time for you to show the other members the high level work you are capable of.  I had the privilege of seeing some pictures of it and I can assure you that you have a lot to contribute on the subject in particular with your obvious talent for creations with brass.  You can be sure that I would be one of those interested!!!

Take care, Francis

Sci-fi script, I love it!  All kidding as side though Francis, your work is gorgeous!  I was warned by some of our mutual friends to be careful because your work is very addicting, and I understand that statement.  In this parade, you are the leader of the band, while I am just the clown on the tricycle weaving in and out of the crowd, and passing candy out to children.  I am fine with that though.  At least I can still ride along.  
Maybe you would be interested in this 

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Marcos, I was just very inspired by the outstanding work done by other masters on the forum!   You yourself have some very interesting projects going on, my friend!!!

Just a little tip, when you quote a comment where there are photos published, you just have to select the text to comment (and click on quote), this will avoid including the photos and adding them to the thread.  This is absolutely not a complaint my friend, I am very grateful for your interest, I try to avoid adding photos to a thread where there are already a lot of them... and many more to come...!  ?

Take care, Francis

Thanks Francis for that amazing tip, i didn't know that, but i really do fill inspire by this type of work, keep it coming my friend...

22 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for your trust on my capabilities Ron!  I'm sure someone somewhere can do this sort of thing, but I'll limit myself to attaching the cable to the carburetor linkage, that will be the furthest I get into details!

Take care, Francis

That is as far as I would go as well. You need to draw the line somewhere. But, I bet if you wanted to do it, you could figure it out!

On 12/30/2020 at 11:52 AM, foghorn62 said:

Sci-fi script, I love it!  All kidding as side though Francis, your work is gorgeous!  I was warned by some of our mutual friends to be careful because your work is very addicting, and I understand that statement.  In this parade, you are the leader of the band, while I am just the clown on the tricycle weaving in and out of the crowd, and passing candy out to children.  I am fine with that though.  At least I can still ride along.  
Maybe you would be interested in this 

Thanks again for the kind words Tim and sorry for the long response time as I was at work last night for the last shift of this weird 2020!  You really have a superb sense of humor my friend!  My gift of the day is to see that you have finally jumped in the parade, I will go see your superb work and add my comments to it which can only be enthusiasm knowing in advance the caliber of work that you are able!   The year 2020 ends well... ?

Take care, Francis

On 12/30/2020 at 1:11 PM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Thanks Francis for that amazing tip, i didn't know that, but i really do fill inspire by this type of work, keep it coming my friend...

Thank you Marcos, I am happy to see that you took my answer the right way because I appreciate your support my friend!   Way more to come in 2021 and hope you will like...

Take care, Francis