Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
AmericanMuscleFan

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, butter said:

That is as far as I would go as well. You need to draw the line somewhere. But, I bet if you wanted to do it, you could figure it out!

Thanks Ron, you are probably right because as most of the moving parts are already done, however I have to draw a line where things turn to the side of madness...   Moreover, I would love to start a new project before the end of time... I have a lot of ideas but I have to choose wisely considering the time I invest in them!

Take care of yourself and happy new year, Francis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I just came across this thread..... I must now nap from my information overload and astonishment of this build! Wow, just wow

Thanks for stopping by and your kind comments Andy!  It's really exciting to build and ideas keep coming to me as I go along and I already have new ones in my head. Check back from time to time, I will have several more updates in the coming months!

Take care of yourself and happy new year, Francis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 pedal cars ad trucks are the best Francis!!! keep up the amazing work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, comp1839 said:

3 pedal cars ad trucks are the best Francis!!! keep up the amazing work.

Hey Dave, thanks for the kind words sir!

One day, I spoke with a guy at a drag race track in the Quebec City area, he was bracket racing on the quarter mile with a small block '65 Plymouth Barracuda with a manual transmission and he was the only one in his class where all the other competitors were using automatic transmissions.  You know he said to me, the pleasure is to fight a little with the car, that gives a better show!  Quite a spectacle I can confirm it to you with the front in the air at 3 feet from the ground on the starting line!   Long live the 3-pedal cars..!

Happy new year 2021 and take care, Francis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

 Long live the 3-pedal cars.!

Amen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!

The holidays are now over and I will be back at work on Wednesday so I am updating the thread with another small interior component that I recently completed.  I have also made progress on other parts that are not fully completed so I will upload the pics next weekend when it's done.  I was hoping to make more progress but the temperature was very pleasant outside and I took the opportunity to snowshoe with friends while keeping the social distancing of 2 meters of course!!!

I hope to have a lot more to offer you in the coming weeks.  Take care, Francis

The face of the RPM was drawn in Adobe Illustrator and printed on negative film at 3000 dpi with an AGFA Accuset imagesetter when I was working as a graphic designer.410_RPM_Face_1.JPG.519ac12c7dc229425e1f43cd78bee994.JPG

RPM mounting base on the milling chuck.411_RPM_Bracket_Progress_1.JPG.e3f3a879babf352092feec9444658ea9.JPG

The strap has been made with 0.006" aluminum.412_RPM_Bracket_Progress_2.JPG.a81ad566b6259d4e91942d72ffa950ba.JPG

Different view, the brass bolt is from Scale Hardware.413_RPM_Bracket_Progress_3.JPG.e4dd40e8b64d092aee469f6bacb7af36.JPG

The needle and red zone has been painted from behind.414_RPM_Final_1.JPG.f231106fe2830a330e5b1d2c5b954f94.JPG

I forgot to take a picture but the RPM housing was machined from aluminum and equals 5,000 "to scale. It will be mounted on the steering column if space allows.414b_RPM_Final_2.JPG.8eb33422286e609c54448ee824fa6976.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

...The face of the RPM was drawn in Adobe Illustrator and printed on negative film at 3000 dpi with an AGFA Accuset imagesetter when I was working as a graphic designer. ...

I should have guessed! Back when I was a graphic artist at a nameplate manufacturer, we used CorelDRAW and film sheets for photoetch artwork and MetalPhoto processing, so somewhere around here I have leftover strips of 25th scale 1960 Cadillac gauges that I placed in the otherwise unused outer boundaries of the film sheets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cobraman said:

Amazing !

Thanks for the comment Ray!

 

10 hours ago, Russell C said:

I should have guessed! Back when I was a graphic artist at a nameplate manufacturer, we used CorelDRAW and film sheets for photoetch artwork and MetalPhoto processing, so somewhere around here I have leftover strips of 25th scale 1960 Cadillac gauges that I placed in the otherwise unused outer boundaries of the film sheets.

Thanks for stopping by Russell!  I am happy to know that my excess of technical information is understood by some of my colleagues...   I no longer work in this field now so I no longer have access to this equipment.  Fortunately, I was able to reproduce the dashboards of some of the models I have made in the past in the same way.

 

1 hour ago, Ian McLaren said:

Just amazing

Thanks Ian, I really appreciate your support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Francis!

My friend, you start to get me worried... This level of detail requires, now, that you add a shift light to the whole enchilada. What are you gonna do? 

Besides, I can't tell from the pictures: are the threads on the ring cinching screw metric or imperial? Just curious...

CT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

My friend, you start to get me worried... This level of detail requires, now, that you add a shift light to the whole enchilada. What are you gonna do? 

Besides, I can't tell from the pictures: are the threads on the ring cinching screw metric or imperial? Just curious...

CT 

Thanks again to stopping by Claude!   Funny you pointed this out (actually not really because of your eagle eyes ...) but right after uploading the photos I realized I forgot to add this feature...  Maybe I'll correct the situation...

Speaking of thread, you should know that Imperial is the only way to go for those old American vehicles...  My lathe and my milling are configured in imperial gradation by the way! ?

Hope to see you this year my friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks again to stopping by Claude!   Funny you pointed this out (actually not really because of your eagle eyes ...) but right after uploading the photos I realized I forgot to add this feature...  Maybe I'll correct the situation...

Speaking of thread, you should know that Imperial is the only way to go for those old American vehicles...  My lathe and my milling are configured in imperial gradation by the way! ?

Hope to see you this year my friend!

Metric?  Imperial?  What is this foreign language?  It is a U.S. dime after all.

TS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

My friend, you start to get me worried... This level of detail requires, now, that you add a shift light to the whole enchilada. What are you gonna do? 

Besides, I can't tell from the pictures: are the threads on the ring cinching screw metric or imperial? Just curious...

CT 

Claude, a possibility, Francis has invented a new system?  How else could anyone do this work?

Mike..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Metric?  Imperial?  What is this foreign language?  It is a U.S. dime after all.

TS

Hi Tim!

Well, on this side of the border, it's been the metric system since, oh, 1981 I believe. But since we are open minded about it, all our rules and tape measures still show both.

As to the US dime and currencies... how come there is latin words on it?  Foreigh language?

Just curious...

CT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Claude, a possibility, Francis has invented a new system?  How else could anyone do this work?

Mike..

Hi Mike!

If someone here can invent a new system, it certainly is Francis! 

CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

As to the US dime and currencies... how come there is latin words on it?  Foreigh language?

Just curious...

CT 

Well Claude that is an excellent question.  I have often wondered the same thing myself.  Must be really old. ? 

TS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

As to the US dime and currencies... how come there is latin words on it?  Foreigh language?

Just curious...

CT 

CT, it was decided early on to have enigmatic scripting on coins and paper bills so that hardly anyone would pay attention or understand.  This was a form of globalism.  Now though, we don't want this.  Too expensive to change now....so, the saved money goes into the pockets of the lawmakers.  It seems as if this has become quite popular.

But we still don't understand why.

None of us understand either how Francis makes these parts....I have thin aluminum to make a ring with a clamp also, but the metal will bend if I get too close after  having some garlic enhanced food for lunch....again, how does he do it?

Mike..

Edited by Mike Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

CT, it was decided early on to have enigmatic scripting on coins and paper bills so that hardly anyone would pay attention or understand.  This was a form of globalism.  Now though, we don't want this.  Too expensive to change now....so, the saved money goes into the pockets of the lawmakers.  It seems as if this has become quite popular.

But we still don't understand why.

None of us understand either how Francis makes these parts....I have thin aluminum to make a ring with a clamp also, but the metal will bend if I get too close after  having some garlic enhanced food for lunch....again, how does he do it?

Mike..

Hi Mike!

Well, Canada already spun Le Cirque du Soleil, known across the world for its clowns and public amusers. Maybe Francis is also an extraordinary export from the Great White North? It's just that his field of expertise, luckily for us, has to do with this hobby of ours that we cherish so much. Amen!

CT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mike!

Well, Canada already spun Le Cirque du Soleil, known across the world for its clowns and public amusers. Maybe Francis is also an extraordinary export from the Great White North? It's just that his field of expertise, luckily for us, has to do with this hobby of ours that we cherish so much. Amen!

CT 

Claude, I already know you are a top shelf model builder, and I think you are aware of Mikes talent.  You guys all humble me when you come around to check out my work.  And Francis adds even more to my humility.  Thanks for stopping by.  I feel like I’ve found a group that I can truly strive to measure up to, even if I never quite get there.  BTW, I absolutely love Le Cirque du Soleil!  I used to go to their shows every time they came to Houston.  They don’t come around my part of Vermont very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Claude, I already know you are a top shelf model builder, and I think you are aware of Mikes talent.  You guys all humble me when you come around to check out my work.  And Francis adds even more to my humility.  Thanks for stopping by.  I feel like I’ve found a group that I can truly strive to measure up to, even if I never quite get there.  BTW, I absolutely love Le Cirque du Soleil!  I used to go to their shows every time they came to Houston.  They don’t come around my part of Vermont very often.

Hi Tim!

Le Cirque is going trough major restructuration these days. They filed for Chapter 11 last spring, and Covid just destroyed their business model. Even in Montreal, they are at a standstill. 

We better find joy in model-building for the foreseable future. On that, back to the bench. The smell of melted styrene is calling...

CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! awesome parts. you are building a masterpiece , AGAIN!! Your methods are ingenious. hope your holidays were great. charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...