Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Thirkettle Buick Century

DoctorLarry

• 2 weeks later...

Got the chassis 99% done. Still needs exhaust. Put it on the body. Rear ride height is still too tall. Speedway has my decals done and they are killer (as usual). Paint is off. He found a hi-resolution closeup of the car and it is definitely an orange-red color. I may cast this one and re-do the paint on a resin. I haven't decided yet. No foil or aluminum parts painted yet either.

body on 4.jpg

body on 3.jpg

body on 2.jpg

body on 1.jpg

How does it look in the sun?  To me the gray or silver part looks much darker then the photo at the start of the thread. jmho. Shouldn't the "Allied Box" decal on the quarter panel be silver not gold?

Edited by MarkJ

22 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

The gray is pretty close. It is the orange that is off. This was a hi resolution picture. The Allied Box and the 51 are gold. The Allied Box was probably gold leaf on the car and the 51 is gold paint.

Hi res Thirkettle.jpg

Yes, this picture looks totally different then the one at the top of the thread. I'd say you're good to go with what you have . No repaint required.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got the car repainted. Put the striping tape on and cleared it. Decals are on and I have a few things to do yet, Exhaust, breathers, battery wiring and windows. I also need to re-paint and install the bumpers. I need some advice on windows. Do you all use kit windows or make them for resin bodies?

century decal 1.jpg

century decal 3.jpg

century decal 5.jpg

century decal 2.jpg

century decal 4.jpg

Actually it was a random resin I bought off EBAY. It was warped and I straightened it out and heavily modified it. Most of them are based off a JoHan Cutlass or a 1/24 diecast, I suspect. SMH Resins 77 Cutlass is too wide and the proportions are not the same as the Salvino Cutlass or JoHan so I suspect someone mastered it from a 1/24 diecast.