Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Electra custom

geetee66

21 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Heck yeah! Old school metalflake look down to a T!

19 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Loving your work on this one! Simply beautiful.

Later-

8 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Looking forward to seeing the result after the tape work.

6 hours ago, speedy5963 said:

Looking good, can't wait to see how the pattern lays out!

Thanks guys

I finished the tape lines tonight:

IMG_4215.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

As the fine tape likes to lift on the curves, I decided to go ahead and add some colour to the design. I removed the outer line to see how it looks.

The blue shifts to purple and I reckon it'll look nice under the purple candy.

The panels will have a black shadow fade, before lace decals are applied.

IMG_4217.JPG

Edited by geetee66

I love the custom roof paint and decals, top notch work. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one. 

Something about this car just calls out to be painted purple. I built one of these some years back as a tail-dragger. I wasn't following any particular customizer's work, just using some of the bits in the kit.

It's not nearly as nicely done as yours is looking to be but I used a similar paint method, laying down silver first then a purple top coat.

If you want to see it, I think I can drag up a photo and post it.

David G.

I gotta say, when I saw the first post, I thought we were going to get another one of those bodies with wheels stuck under it and never seen again posts.

You have proved me wrong! I'm glad I kept ? reading, very nice subject and excellent painting, So Far....

7 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Thanks for following the progress chaps.

got the decals on last night. Gotta let them dry, then clear, followed by the purple candy, then more clear.

IMG_4223.JPG

I have been enjoying watching your build and the paint work especially. You mentioned adding decals ? So the patterns on the roof are decals ? Do they come in black or other colors and what is the source of the decals ?  When you lay the candy color over this it's really going to pop. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

I have been enjoying watching your build and the paint work especially. You mentioned adding decals ? So the patterns on the roof are decals ? Do they come in black or other colors and what is the source of the decals ?  When you lay the candy color over this it's really going to pop. 

Thanks Espo, I'm glad your digging it!

Yes, the lace and the stars are nail art decals. £1.25 a sheet on eBay. Just search 'nail art decals' 

I've got a bunch of them now.. hibiscus flowers, skulls, roses, tartan, zebra.. 

The lace pattern decals seem to be mainly black, but there are some white ones around.

They behave well, respond to setting solutions and don't seem to react to clearcoat.

Thanks for your generous comments, everyone. It means a lot.

14 hours ago, David G. said:

I love the custom roof paint and decals, top notch work. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one. 

Something about this car just calls out to be painted purple. I built one of these some years back as a tail-dragger. I wasn't following any particular customizer's work, just using some of the bits in the kit.

It's not nearly as nicely done as yours is looking to be but I used a similar paint method, laying down silver first then a purple top coat.

If you want to see it, I think I can drag up a photo and post it.

David G.

Thanks David

please post your Electra build. I'd like to see it ?

9 minutes ago, 72 Charger said:

Im always impressed with your painting . 

Nice one mate. I appreciate it.

couldn't resist removing the tape before bed, tonight...glad I did. I'm happy with the results. The lilac body goes well with the purple roof.

IMG_4230.JPG

51 minutes ago, 72 Charger said:

Yeah really nice . Is that tape glue on the doors ?

Yeah, it is. I normally stick tape to my inside forearm before I apply it, to reduce the tackiness. Looks like I forgot in a few places. No worries, it'll be super shiny, soon!

11 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Thanks David

please post your Electra build. I'd like to see it ?

Thank you Guy, I hope you enjoy it.

It's not nearly as sharp as yours is shaping up to be but it is the first one I painted with an air brush.

559903048_62Buick01.jpg.24298ceb3fef812265450cc891271870.jpg

Thanks,

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Thank you Guy, I hope you enjoy it.

It's not nearly as sharp as yours is shaping up to be but it is the first one I painted with an air brush.

559903048_62Buick01.jpg.24298ceb3fef812265450cc891271870.jpg

Thanks,

David G.

That looks great! I love the shade of purple and those old school caps suit it well. Stance looks good, too.