Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mitsubishi GTO 3000 GT VR4


VanSpence
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I have been out of the car model game for quite some time but figure it is time to get back into the swing of things. It has been about 6 or 7 years since I have done anything car related. 

Figured I would start out simple with an OOTB build and I am a pretty big fan of the VR4 so I figured - go for it. 

IMG_20191229_150300.jpg.2db37df2cacd44d72e42c0d3ca56e17a.jpg

I started a while back but did not take any photos right from the beginning but here is where I am at Interior and bottom are pretty much done. 

IMG_20191229_150505.jpg.867ebe14aeea694fa032164738b3b646.jpg

IMG_20191229_151354.jpg.393a531c862dbe42ad93379ef67c5913.jpg

I have a thing for matte cars so doing this one in a flat white as I like the contrast of the white and black. Just finishing off some detailing and should have it all together in a few days. 

IMG_20191229_150406.jpg.50417ab8ca95c847eb873a40b3b9ba28.jpg

IMG_20191229_150423.jpg.606e52d6e4c6b2871bca3b98ecf438b7.jpg

I have enjoyed  putting this one together and it feels good to get back into things. I am still waiting for some paints and tools to arrive but hope to have them within a few weeks. I have a few others builds that I will begin right quick here as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good idea to resume a Tamiya kit.  I built the evil twin Dodge Stealth that AMT produced, this was the original car before Lee Iacocca did the badge engineering, and this is still a better looking car.  I've gone for years without building, so glad you are back at it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Good idea to resume a Tamiya kit.  I built the evil twin Dodge Stealth that AMT produced, this was the original car before Lee Iacocca did the badge engineering, and this is still a better looking car.  I've gone for years without building, so glad you are back at it!

It is funny, I have never been a fan of the Stealth, even tho they share the same bodies. The odd wing on the rear always felt so out of place and the lack of vents just made the car look a little odd, in my opinion of course. 

I am glad to be back at it and have already begun buying new kits to start. Just waiting for the kits to arrive from Japan! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VanSpence said:

It is funny, I have never been a fan of the Stealth, even tho they share the same bodies. The odd wing on the rear always felt so out of place and the lack of vents just made the car look a little odd, in my opinion of course. 

I am glad to be back at it and have already begun buying new kits to start. Just waiting for the kits to arrive from Japan! 

Fake vents are there.  ?  The wing is definitely weird, especially with the Indy light.  I've ordered from Japan, internet is dangerous on the disposable income.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I've ordered from Japan, internet is dangerous on the disposable income.

Tell me about it! My wish list is huge on Hobby Search but I am not going to allow myself to go overboard. I do need to find a good proper domestic site that gives me more access to AMT and Revell stuff at a semi decent price....but then again, maybe it is best I don't know that yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, VanSpence said:

Tell me about it! My wish list is huge on Hobby Search but I am not going to allow myself to go overboard. I do need to find a good proper domestic site that gives me more access to AMT and Revell stuff at a semi decent price....but then again, maybe it is best I don't know that yet. 

What about Magic Box Hobbies? They're in Vancouver, and I stop in there every time I'm in the area. Even take the afternoon and bomb in from Whistler when I'm there!

I've always found their selection to be excellent, of both Japanese and domestic kits.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

What about Magic Box Hobbies? They're in Vancouver, and I stop in there every time I'm in the area. Even take the afternoon and bomb in from Whistler when I'm there!

I've always found their selection to be excellent, of both Japanese and domestic kits.

 

I love Magic Box and go there when I can. Problem is I live on an island and am not allowed to leave except for once a year. It makes going to the store pretty tough. I have to get my stuff online when I 'need' it. 

I have used Sunward in Toronto for paints and supplies and have Hobby Wholesale in my favorites as well and they are both ok but I find their sites actually kind of suck for online browsing. Not that well laid out. Now what I would really like to find is a site like scale modeler or hirohobby that is in Canada! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, VanSpence said:

I love Magic Box and go there when I can. Problem is I live on an island and am not allowed to leave except for once a year. It makes going to the store pretty tough. I have to get my stuff online when I 'need' it. 

I have used Sunward in Toronto for paints and supplies and have Hobby Wholesale in my favorites as well and they are both ok but I find their sites actually kind of suck for online browsing. Not that well laid out. Now what I would really like to find is a site like scale modeler or hirohobby that is in Canada! 

Hobby Wholesale is okay, I was actually just in there on Sunday. 

WIngs & Wheels in Toronto has been great to deal with. No online store, but if you know what you want, give them a call or shoot them an email. I've ordered quite a bit from them. The main guy there is Ivan.

 

Which island are you on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Hobby Wholesale is okay, I was actually just in there on Sunday. 

WIngs & Wheels in Toronto has been great to deal with. No online store, but if you know what you want, give them a call or shoot them an email. I've ordered quite a bit from them. The main guy there is Ivan.

 

Which island are you on?

Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind. 

I am currently on Entrance Island, you can google maps it. It is a very tiny island with a lighthouse on it. I am one of the 2 keepers who is currently living here. The arrow is my house. lol

16563218_myplace.jpg.1e75632e6b36dafb3b9e84c00eccf40f.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, so my camera is not awesome for pictures, and I am finding this out as I go along. 

Pretty much finished except for some clear orange for the signal lights that I am waiting for delivery which should happen next week I am hoping. Once I have the orange I will finish it off completely and set it aside. 

Did mess up a little with glue while trying to put on the wipers but it is not too bad. I am probably 90% OK with this and as my first one back after so long, I am content with it. 

I will see what I can do about doing some good photos once I have the clear orange and then post it in the under glass next week sometime. I appreciate the encouragement that this form provides and will continue to use it to pursue further and more complex projects. 

IMG_20200101_094104.jpg.8e8fbd6fd5848c17f83b0e1357444003.jpg

IMG_20200101_094119.jpg.916b50d66d5f7176582635b941e9d321.jpg

IMG_20200101_094139.jpg.91a9d35ca9a99c5b766798b850731560.jpg

IMG_20200101_094203.jpg.b4420b7c22e03be6c89d90a7741d7f47.jpg

IMG_20200101_094230.jpg.2211917815a7f7fafa2eca5f92b932ec.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those susceptible to cabin fever need not apply!  This hobby is ideal for that lifestyle, but sure have to plan way ahead for supplies, not "I ran out of flat black, store is a couple miles away, bummer I don't have a 40% off coupon".

Hope you have that color, the exhaust tips need it. ?  Your first project came out good!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Nice work Spence - looks great ? You definitely win the award for most original residence, BTW; only allowed to leave once a year, though?!! Important job - keep up the good work 

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we have to stay on side while we are working. We get our holidays once or twice a year depending on how you set it up and then that is when you leave. It does take some getting used to but you get better at dealing with it as you go. Pretty hard to go and see the latest in movies tho......

14 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Those susceptible to cabin fever need not apply!  This hobby is ideal for that lifestyle, but sure have to plan way ahead for supplies, not "I ran out of flat black, store is a couple miles away, bummer I don't have a 40% off coupon".

Hope you have that color, the exhaust tips need it. ?  Your first project came out good!

As I go along, I will have to take time into consideration more and more. When you have certain colors you go through more frequently than others, it is a good idea to buy 2 or 3 jars at one time. I can only get supplies once a month as well so I need to time my supply deliveries carefully. 

I actually don't have any flat black on hand right now, and it is not on my next delivery either as I made an error. lol. I will have to wait another month before I can see any flat black but I was thinking about drilling out the ends to make them look a little better. 

2 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Flat white can look tough sometimes, I once did a 911 in flat white and it was hard as nails, unfortunately I sold it when I got some stupid ideas.......

I really do like how the flat white turned out and feel it makes the car look really quite good. With car wraps being all the rage these days, it is pretty easy to do anything you want to a car which IMO means even more reason to go off book with your builds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...