Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Grand Prix Model SJ in various scales

I have shown most of my models here on the forum. Today I am sharing my most favorite cars. 1972 Pontiac Grand Prixs.

The littlest is a Johnny Lightning that I modified with gold paint, gold wheels and BFGs.

The middle one is a 1/25th scale kit I bought in the mid 80's. Since then my skillset has improved greatly. It is overdue for a restoration.

The wood one is a gift from my best friend who commissioned it from a local artist who usually makes VW bugs and vans. I met the artist and he really enjoyed the challenge.

Could I make changes to make it closer to correct? Yes, but I will leave it alone as it is a piece of ART!

The 1:1 is what is in my garage right now. I have owned it since the late 90's. It is basically a survivor with nice paint, very nice original interior and a filthy, well-running original engine.

I have installed a killer 14 speaker (FOUR are 10" subs) 5 amplifier stereo in it. I had to put in a separate marine deep cycle battery just to run it. Every couple of weeks (weather permitting) I find an empty parking lot and jam my playlist for 2-1/2 hours. I mostly like female pop with good bass guitar riff. Anything that has been recorded with a sub-octavizer really shakes the seats and makes the mirrors blurry. It has a numbers matching 455 and makes enough power to turn the 295/50 BFGs into quite a smoke show. However gas mileage is around 10. (not that it matters). I go to car shows most summers and I am ALWAYS the only Grand Prix there of ANY year.

Comments are welcome.

IMG_0847.JPG

Bill's '72 Pontiac Grand Prix 455 HO A.jpg

Bill's '72 Pontiac Grand Prix 455 HO B.jpg

Bill_N_72_GP_LF_3_qtr_view.jpg

Bill_N_72_GP_owner.jpg

Bill_N_72_GP_RR_3_qtr_view.jpg

Boss Audio amps and crossovers.JPG

I really like your Grand Prix. I was wondering if it was one of Hurst models from that era based on the paint colors and their layout ? Glad to see you're caring for this as to many have been damaged or unceremonially  changed into something else. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I really like your Grand Prix. I was wondering if it was one of Hurst models from that era based on the paint colors and their layout ? Glad to see you're caring for this as to many have been damaged or unceremonially  changed into something else. 

David, Thank you. The paint scheme was inspired by a Hurst SSJ but mine does not carry the gold onto the roof. I have only seen one of those in real life and it was a rusted out beater driven by a couple of cowboys in Wyoming.

SSJ 72 99.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

David, Thank you. The paint scheme was inspired by a Hurst SSJ but mine does not carry the gold onto the roof. I have only seen one of those in real life and it was a rusted out beater driven by a couple of cowboys in Wyoming.

SSJ 72 99.jpg

See that's what I mean about the fait of so many of these great cars. I'm glad this one is in good hands.   

What a gorgeous car! I'd be pretty pleased if it was in my driveway, too!

An old friend of mine here used to own a Hurst SSJ. It was decent enough shape, a few dings, some rust, worn paint. He bought it to restore and never got to it. I heard it went to New York State.

5 hours ago, bbowser said:

Beautiful car!

4 hours ago, restoman said:

What a gorgeous car! I'd be pretty pleased if it was in my driveway, too!

Thank you guys. This one is actually the 3rd one I had painted black and gold. My 2nd one was even nicer than the one I have now. Here is a pic of the engine that went into it. I assembled it myself. I lost that car to a fire. 9 years of blood sweat and dollars up in flames.

469 motor assembled.jpg

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

and it was a rusted out beater driven by a couple of cowboys in Wyoming.

Ha! Those cowboys do like their comfort. When my family was in Wyoming I helped sell a blue 72 sj for a friend. It had been  parked on the prairie for years but the 455 fired right up.

4 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I love Pontiacs and Grand Prixs grew up with them in the family we had a 64,67,69,70,71,72,and a 83.    Stunning car there..!

3 hours ago, Renegade said:

I really miss those old land yachts, loved driving them back in the day. Would still drive one today if I could find one at a decent price in good condition. Your builds look great.

Thank you and thank you. They can still be had at decent prices. Very nice drivers with nice paint jobs can still be had for under $20K. While the supply is low, the demand is even lower. I got mine fresh out of the paint booth for $3000 and since it had not been clearcoated yet, they did the gold for $200! Of course that was back in '98 or '99.

Cant remember what year one we had but think it was the 70 that had a 400ci   4 speed in her...all black.  That  thing would run.  My plan is to make replicas of them and other vehicles we once owned...we had some great ones over the years in the family. I have some of them but they need parts and work yet.

Edited by disabled modeler

On 1/2/2020 at 3:04 AM, disabled modeler said:

Cant remember what year one we had but think it was the 70 that had a 400ci   4 speed in her...all black.  That  thing would run.  My plan is to make replicas of them and other vehicles we once owned...we had some great ones over the years in the family. I have some of them but they need parts and work yet.

I agree, the 400s get up and run. My built 455 (now 469) pulls hard too. My dad had a lot of cars during the 60's and 70's. Some I would like to duplicate in scale. One I kind of have.

That is very nice bill..!     I have the same passion for family owned replicas ether models or promos of them.   Many I already have but need parts and work others Ill have to try to get a hold of if possible..???   Wont be easy ether...some were never made in scale plastics...others are too expensive if one can find them.    I have a few done already but a very long way to go yet and we once had some great and rare vehicles once in the family too.

I hear you. My dad went through a few. 48 Merc, 58 Impala, 63 Chevy wagon, 64 Falcon wagon, 66 Satellite convertible, 58 Ford Pick up, 65 Riviera, 66 Chrysler 300, 69 Chevelle wagon, 58 DeSoto, and those are just the ones I remember before I went to high school. Oh yea, his drag car...34 Plymouth coupe with a 331 Hemi and (Eight!) 2-BBLs.